Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Let's see some coins from Bolivia

Show them is you got them.

Collecting interests: Coins from Latin American (2020-present)

Sports: NFL & NHL

Comments

• Options
    jt88jt88 Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    BustDMsBustDMs Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭✭✭

A few from the herd. Love Potosi mint products.

Q: When does a collector become a numismatist?

A: The year they spend more on their library than their coin collection.

A numismatist is judged more on the content of their library than the content of their cabinet.
  • Options
    ClioClio Posts: 488 ✭✭✭✭✭

@YoloBagels said:
    This was technically my first "dollar"/paycheck. My first job was working in a coin shop, and the first week I spent there I got to sort and catalog an incredible collection of cob reales that had recently come in.

Saw this one and just couldn't hold myself back. Really nice subtle rainbow toning and lusterous surfaces. Asked the boss man how much he wanted for it, and his price was almost the same amount as my first paycheck.

I showed it to several knowledgeable people and got grade estimates ranging from VF30 to MS64. Though eye appeal and originality is much stronger than many lower MS cobs. It now resides in a PCGS AU58 Retro OGH holder. Also came with a Rudy Lewis Certificate, which sadly was misplaced while at PCGS.

1664 Potosi, Bolivia 8 Reales. Assayer E, 25.79g PCGS AU58

Great story and great coin man.

https://numismaticmuse.com/ My Web Gallery

The best collecting goals lie right on the border between the possible and the impossible. - Andy Lustig, "MrEureka"

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

(Used to be mine)

1694 1-real from Potosi

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    FrankHFrankH Posts: 773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just liked the contrast.

Oh yeah, the friendly expression, too. :D

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    SimonWSimonW Posts: 632 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm BACK!!! Used to be Billet7 on the old forum.

• Options
    SimonWSimonW Posts: 632 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm BACK!!! Used to be Billet7 on the old forum.

• Options
    WCCWCC Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    threefiftythreefifty Posts: 25 ✭✭
    edited September 6, 2022 10:07AM

I normally don't go for errors, but picked up this nice 8 reales earlier in the year.

• Options
    jt88jt88 Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 7, 2022 10:14AM

Bolivia General Melgarejo 1865 coin:

Silver, 35.0 mm, 19.20 gm, 0.666 fine

Obverse:
    General Melgarejo facing left
    AL PACIFICADOR DE BOLIVIA F.P.
    Reverse:
    GRATITUD DEL PUEBLO POTOSINO EN 1865 AL VALOR DEL JENERAL MELGAREJO
    666 Ms 400 Gs

"To the peacemaker of Bolivia gratitude of the town of Potosi in 1865 to the valor of General Melgarejo"

The initials "F.P." are of the mint assayer 'F' for Fortunato Equivar and 'P' for his unrecorded assistant.

Manuel Mariano Melgarejo Valencia (1818-1871) was dictator of Bolivia from December 28, 1864, to January 15, 1871.

Melgarejo was one of the most incompetent leaders of Bolivia.

He came to power by murdering his predecessor, then ruthlessly suppressed the opposition and assaulted the traditional rights of the country's population.

He also managed to give parts of Bolivia to Brazil and Chile.

Eventually opposition to Melgarejo succeeded in ridding the country of his tyranny. On January 15, 1871, he was toppled by the army commander, General Morales. He fled to Lima where he was assassinated later that year by his lover's brother.

Wikipedia:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mariano_Melgarejo

Numista:
    https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces42613.html
    The Numista website states that the coin is 37 mm and 20 gm but my coin is 35.0 mm and 19.20 gm.

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television