Home U.S. Coin Forum

Skinny Penny

Thoughts? Skinny penny is a 1961 (I think) Lincoln cent. It weighs1.347 grams and is .03"/.762mm thick, and the diameter is the same as normal.

Comments

• ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice struck on split planchet mint error coin.

• Can you educate me on how that happens?

• MarkKelleyMarkKelley Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭✭✭

The planchet split apart before the strike. The texture of the unstruck areas on the reverse is the tell.

• ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

Copper planchets sometimes split in half before they are struck and sometimes after the coin was struck.

Yours is the cooler error which was split in half before the strike.

So, a blank planchet split in half and then it was struck by the dies at the mint.

• tincuptincup Posts: 5,097 ✭✭✭✭✭

Neat find!

----- kj
  • Thank you guys for sharing your knowledge. I always wondered about it.

• FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,814 ✭✭✭✭✭

We called 'em 'struck on a split before striking planchet'
    back in the day....

Nice error, obsolete, and actually scarcer than most of today's
    error collectors realize....OP's coin is a nice example of it.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 14, 2022 12:37PM

Amazing to me that this coin is a legit error. When I opened the thread and saw the pictures I thought for sure this was a “washing machine” PMD coin. If ErrorsOnCoins and Fred Weinberg hadn't posted what it was, I’d still be thinking this was a washing machine coin.

Mr_Spud

• JBKJBK Posts: 15,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mr_Spud said:
    Amazing to me that this coin is a legit error. When I opened the thread and saw the pictures I thought for sure this was a “washing machine” PMD coin. If ErrorsOnCoins and Fred Weinberg hadn't posted what it was, I’d still be thinking this was a washing machine coin.

I'm glad I delayed responding. It looked on my screen like it had been filed down. :#

• bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Neat error find. I also was thinking it was damaged.... Learned something today. Cheers, RickO

• FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,814 ✭✭✭✭✭

The reverse side is the inside of the split planchet,
    and the obverse was the outside of the split planchet

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd have said PMD all day long...cool coin.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file