Home Sports Talk
Options

A light at the end of the tunnel for the O’s

2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭✭✭
W.C.Fields
"I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.

Comments

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Let's hope so....good for the O's. I've been thinking that somehow management doesn't really give a rip about the quality of the team lately....... The worse things get, the easier it will be to move the team out of Baltimore...... I suspect it's coming.

• Options

@Hydrant said:
    Let's hope so....good for the O's. I've been thinking that somehow management doesn't really give a rip about the quality of the team lately....... The worse things get, the easier it will be to move the team out of Baltimore...... I suspect it's coming.

I hope not. I’ve been an O’s fan since 1967. Buffalo didn’t have a MLB team and my best friend was an O’s fan. The era of Palmer, Powell etc was an exciting time for Baltimore. My brother is a huge Cardinals fan so we had many a debate of who was best. I’ve been to Camden just after opening. Beautiful park. I remember Baltimore before the downtown renovations. Seedy streets, empty warehouses etc. the waterfront is a beautiful sight.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

The O's have a terrific history in Baltimore- they are not going anywhere

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

@coinkat said:
    The O's have a terrific history in Baltimore- they are not going anywhere

I hope you're right.....And I agree with you.......the Orioles have had a terrific franchise history...... Lots of great teams and players....and, although I've never been there, people tell me that the ballpark is the best.....beautiful!

• Options

I was not convinced a new stadium was needed... especially considering the history associated with Memorial Stadium. If a new stadium was needed, I will just concede that it was done very well- it is a great environment-

• Options

@coinkat said:
    I was not convinced a new stadium was needed... especially considering the history associated with Memorial Stadium. If a new stadium was needed, I will just concede that it was done very well- it is a great environment-

Not familiar with the history of Memorial Stadium but Camden is a showcase for MLB parks.

W.C.Fields
  • Options

Memorial Stadium was in a different area of the city. It was located... if I recall correctly... on 33rd in the Waverly neighborhood. The O's moved from St. Louis in 1954. The greatest Os teams played there as did the Colts. There were World Series and AL play-off games... All-Star games and some memorable Colts games.

Camden Yards is truly great venue... they did it right

• Options

@2dueces said:

Not familiar with the history of Memorial Stadium but Camden is a showcase for MLB parks.

I've never been to Camden.....But, from what people tell me, it is not "A" showcase for MLB parks......it's the best.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

I couldn’t believe it when I looked at the standing and saw the Os in last place at one game above .500. That makes them the classiest cellar placed team in the league, perhaps even in baseball history. Teams like the As and Royals are pumping up the rest of the league.

I watched the Yankees cream the Red Sox last night. The Yankees are playing like an unbeatable juggernaut, but I can’t believe how many .220 hitters they have in their starting lineup. As for the Red Sox, they have the worst highly paid team in the league.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭✭✭

It wouldn't hurt my feelings a bit, if Nashville or Charlotte would get a franchise.
    Just not the O's.