Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Advice on Gothic Florins?

Would like to add a Gothic florin due to the iconic design. I don't think I care about rarity or ultra high grade. Any recommendations on what too look for/stay away from?

Maybe the below information is better for BST, but will start here in case any recommendations of specific coins come up - Would want it in PCGS plastic, I like the look of crusty XFs but the AU/MS with a little color are nice as well.

Budget as low as a few hundred to maybe $1000 or more depending on the coin.

Thanks!

Successful BST Transactions with: PerryHall, MrSlider, Cent1225, SurfinxHI, Blu62vette, robkool, gowithmygut, coinlieutenant, Downtown1974, MilesWaits, Shrub68, justindan

Comments

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, you can get (still) a nice Gothic florin for 1000 USD. You should easily be able to get a graded one from the 1870s or 1880s in the MS63 range for less than that. I prefer the look from those of the 1850s and the first year of 1849 ("Godless") variety that used to be cheap and now is not in Unc.
    IMHO, you really need to see them in hand as occasionally the toning can be stunning and at others not so much. Many have been cleaned, and not nicely so.
    Occasionally Heritage will have them in their weekly auctions, but this is not exactly a bargain basement approach. Ebay is another but maybe try the UK ebay - all ebay that used to be fertile hunting grounds is now quite poor. Some of the UK auctions at major auction houses will have these, and if not highly slab graded can be a source [still] ro relatively cheaper and attractive specimens...
    Anyway, message me if you like...

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    RedSealsRedSeals Posts: 278 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the response, PM sent!

Successful BST Transactions with: PerryHall, MrSlider, Cent1225, SurfinxHI, Blu62vette, robkool, gowithmygut, coinlieutenant, Downtown1974, MilesWaits, Shrub68, justindan

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,791 ✭✭✭✭✭

My advice is to buy more than one. I suspect the 1849 Godless is treated more like a type coin which might in part explain the price levels at certain grades. Good luck in your search

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

This date has become quite the valuable coin in this preservation! Many multiples of just a couple of years ago.

• Options
    tcollectstcollects Posts: 846 ✭✭✭✭

@lordmarcovan said:
    With a thousand-dollar budget, you should be able to get a nice one. I got this one on eBay for $373.45, back in February, already slabbed and TrueViewed. It's got a few micro- tickmarks and scuffs, but I can live with them, and I think the nice toning more than compensates for that.

Spink's grade: good about fine

• Options
    ZwiggyZwiggy Posts: 38 ✭✭✭
    edited August 16, 2022 8:20AM

@7Jaguars said:
    Wow, you can get (still) a nice Gothic florin for 1000 USD. You should easily be able to get a graded one from the 1870s or 1880s in the MS63 range for less than that. I prefer the look from those of the 1850s and the first year of 1849 ("Godless") variety that used to be cheap and now is not in Unc.
    IMHO, you really need to see them in hand as occasionally the toning can be stunning and at others not so much. Many have been cleaned, and not nicely so.
    Occasionally Heritage will have them in their weekly auctions, but this is not exactly a bargain basement approach. Ebay is another but maybe try the UK ebay - all ebay that used to be fertile hunting grounds is now quite poor. Some of the UK auctions at major auction houses will have these, and if not highly slab graded can be a source [still] ro relatively cheaper and attractive specimens...
    Anyway, message me if you like...

Super agree with this. I am a type collector and always wanted a gothic Florin. About 5ish years ago, after losing many an auction, out of frustration, I bid up a MS63 without really looking at the coin much. It turned up with reasonable, but mottled, toning and a very weak strike. I just didn’t like it. Should have seen it hand first or should have asked for better pictures.

One is obtaining the Florin for its design - so I’ve felt it’s better to buy a super strong strike with a little chatter in the fields than with a weaker strike with pristine fields. You’ll find yourself with this choice often in your budget range!

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,791 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is the design that has the greatest artistic merit in the history of the Royal Mint for coins that were truly intended to circulate. I just never seem to be convinced that there is a decent surviving population with "the look" I would seek to assemble a set.

I see the Edward VII florins as attractive as well as a challenge but at least a set can be assembled

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

I tend to agree but the E7 florins look better IMHO at arm's length as up close Britannia looks so stern and, well, almost housewifey.....THe newer version on the gold in1/4 to 1/2 oz Britannia size much more appealing.

The Gothic florin has some serious stopper in decent condition, and the 1854 and 1863 come to mind. Yikes! I posted my own AU50 1854 on here and got levelled for it.....Had to settle for the 1863 in proof as my ex-wife took the currency specimen (ex-Rasmussen) along with a few coins when she left.

• Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have really enjoyed seeing everyone's examples.

This is a coin that I have sought out myself, even though it is outside my typical area of interest.
    I don't think any coin collector could argue with its sheer beauty of design.
    One of these days the stars will align and I'll find my example.

Congrats all -