Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

(Did)/Will this 1851-O $20 straight grade? Grade posted!!

YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 11, 2022 6:12AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I bought a small set over the weekend. Sold all but one at a Sunday show and on BST.
I have an 1851-O left over. Would this straight grade in your opinion?

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.

Comments

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks to have a nice patina, I am concerned about the marks in the L obv field, are they deep enough to be considered scratches or damage? Hard for me to tell. There is also the mark at the rim 9:00 rev which by itself I don't think would preclude a grade. So "maybe, it depends." (gotta go to work now I'm sure there will be more useful opinions by the time I get home this evening!)

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am concerned about the lines on the obverse fields.... cannot tell what they are from... and plentiful as well. Just suspect that may get 'details'. ICBW... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    MarkKelleyMarkKelley Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

Old gold gets beaten up pretty easily. It could go either way.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MarkKelley said:
    Old gold gets beaten up pretty easily. It could go either way.

Yup. Borderline on whether it gets a straight grade or not. Well worth getting it graded in any event.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    lermishlermish Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hard to tell from the pics but similar concerns. Harshly cleaned is my best guess.

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can't tell cleaning vs. normal contact marks from the images provided. I would submit it if just to get a "Genuine" designation and a details grade....

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 14, 2022 6:51PM

My wager probably yes. Many marks took a lot of hits. XF40 MV About a $4700 coin. No CAC as this is a C coin. I would send in get verdict.

Once back - Would probably need to be discounted to like $4000 to move it. Somewhere somebody needs it to fill hole. MS70 is perfect.

Walk it around the bourse at a show c what they offer. Hope the fall to Earth not too rough.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 13, 2022 7:44AM

I'd say yes. Net it to 40 from 45?

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,948 ✭✭✭✭✭

It shouldn't. Far too many marks.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not the best picture but I would lean more towards yes than no.

• Options

@DelawareDoons said:

@amwldcoin said:

Fingers crossed!

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • Options
    tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭✭✭

.> @Yorkshireman said:

@DelawareDoons said:

@amwldcoin said:

Fingers crossed!

I agree, I'd submit it. Worse case it will increase the potential resale audience. A genuine O mint Type I $20 isn't exactly the easiest thing to find

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 13, 2022 9:27AM

XF/AU more likely the latter. I don't see cleaned.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

The pictures are not helping the cause. I see it as a tough call and a tough sell for it to straight grade given the apparent issues scattered throughout the obverse lower half. I would rather not offer an opinion and raise a potential expectation as to the outcome.

Regardless as to what I may think... or anyone else for that matter... It remains a historical coin that has a strong following.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll be honest - if I was the grader I'd say details.

I do think it's a 50/50 coin depending on who saw it. It's close.

Young Numismatist, Coin Photographer.

• Options
    semikeycollectorsemikeycollector Posts: 932 ✭✭✭✭✭

Due to the original looking color and compared to other slabbed 20's I've seen, being such a large coin of a softer metal. I would lean toward a straight grade.

• Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭✭✭

i say no. but it should be in a slab anyway.

• Options
    conrad99conrad99 Posts: 366 ✭✭✭

Someone educate me here. I like the coin a lot, and I'd be proud to own it, but many of those "marks" on the obverse are so regular, organized, and parallel. That makes me think of a wire brush. But no one else seems to be thinking this way.

• Options
    jclovescoinsjclovescoins Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭

No

• Options

I'd send it in to both major services if first time around it doesn't go well.

$3600 in xf45 and $4200 in AU50. Hard to judge from the pictures. The services will give you a fair shake.

• Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm thinking it will straight grade but it's a 50/50 shot.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,948 ✭✭✭✭✭

Even if it does make it into a straight graded holder it is going to be a tough sell. It just isn't a good looking coin.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hard to tell from your pictures but this would be a coin that I would submit multiple times if it doesn’t initially straight grade.

• Options

@291fifth said:
    Even if it does make it into a straight graded holder it is going to be a tough sell. It just isn't a good looking coin.

It really is. My photo is poor

• Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭✭

Net grade it at VF-35.

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    spyglassdesignspyglassdesign Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Yorkshireman good luck! This is the hardest part of the waiting game... Encapsulation!

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wouldn't call it "cleaned".
    But I think the diagonal lines on the obverse are too deep for a problem-free grade.
    Also there appears to be an old slice at the R of AMERICA.

• Options

I used to like NGC's "gold rush" option; $20 a coin, from $5 Libs to $20 pieces, I overnighted them, they would get there the next day and get graded within 5 business days! Those turn around times are no longer operative nor the charges. You have a good shot at a good grade due to the originality of the coin, hopefully this will be the first time it has the graders examining it.

• Options
    fathomfathom Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭✭

Its been wiped, probably a few times and its a bit scuffy. I have seen worse in straight graded holders but its a long shot IMO.

• Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

depends on the hairlines @ 7oclock by the rim. They look like a deal breaker from that photo

• Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Yorkshireman said:
    Update -
    I sent the coin in , hoping and praying for a straight grade.
    It is in the encapsulation phase today.
    Fingers crossed!
    I will post results (and a Trueview if it gets graded.

Good luck. We should be hearing from you in a month :).

• Options
    edited August 11, 2022 6:08AM

Grade came back this morning—
    XF45.
    I will post Trueview once posted.
    A month ago I wanted to own a nice graded O mint $20. Now I own two.
    I bought an AU53 CAC from Legend right after I buying a collection containing the raw coin in this post. I was scared to pass it up without being sure this would grade.
    One will be for sale soon, but which one??
    I am well aware of the mantra “Buy the best you can afford.”
    Thoughts?

Maybe I should see what CAC has to say about this XF.

• Options

Congratulations, that's a good and fair grade.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

We have the disadvantage of looking at an image... our host graders saw the coin in hand. And while at this moment in time, I will defer to their judgment... even though I do not agree with it from where I sit in the process. I suspect this coin may have received what I will call and coin the phrase as a "Historical Pass". And to some degree, it may deserve that. However, I would not be willing to push the envelop any further. I would be more inclined to keep both coins. I see this coin as a survivor of a difficult time... the other as being one that survived in a better state.

Probably not what you want to hear... but don't be angry with a candid collector that writes what he sees.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

Way to go! Congrats on the grade

• Options

@coinkat said:
    We have the disadvantage of looking at an image... our host graders saw the coin in hand. And while at this moment in time, I will defer to their judgment... even though I do not agree with it from where I sit in the process. I suspect this coin may have received what I will call and coin the phrase as a "Historical Pass". And to some degree, it may deserve that. However, I would not be willing to push the envelop any further. I would be more inclined to keep both coins. I see this coin as a survivor of a difficult time... the other as being one that survived in a better state.

Probably not what you want to hear... but don't be angry with a candid collector that writes what he sees.

I don’t need two 1851-O $20’s!

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Yorkshireman said:
    XF45.

hmm. i was in the decent au camp from the images.

isn't cac closed right now?

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

@Yorkshireman said:
    XF45.

hmm. i was in the decent au camp from the images.

isn't cac closed right now?

They opened up again

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

Late to the party, but my initial thoughts were XF40.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options

@gumby1234 said:
    Late to the party, but my initial thoughts were XF40.

I thought 40
    Came back 45
    I’m a lucky guy!

• Options
    brianc1959brianc1959 Posts: 342 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Yorkshireman said:
    XF45.
    I bought an AU53 CAC from Legend right after I buying a collection containing the raw coin in this post. I was scared to pass it up without being sure this would grade.
    Thoughts?

As Linus would say, "I never thought it was such a bad little tree!" https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=280893125904153

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats on the grade!!

• Options

@Yorkshireman said:

@coinkat said:

I’d like to have that problem.

• Options

@skier07 said:

@Yorkshireman said:

@coinkat said:

One of them can be yours…

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,706 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Yorkshireman said:
    XF45.
    Thoughts?

Sell the one you won't regret selling.

• Options

@Yorkshireman said:

@skier07 said:

@Yorkshireman said:

@coinkat said:

One of them can be yours…

Haha

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file