Home Q & A Forum

Wth happened to this coin? Error?

I love you all ~Spec ✌️

“Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing.

Tagged:

Best Answer

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,614 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SpecGotCoins said:
    @JWP But these look like they happened at the mint..

No, they do not. Even if raised, it is due to buckling of the copper layer. Very common on Zincolns.

Answers

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,614 ✭✭✭✭✭

Zinc rot. Hit with an awl. Both.

It's damaged.

• gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cant say what exactly happened, but it didn't happen at the mint.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• JWPJWP Posts: 17,141 ✭✭✭✭✭

It almost looks like some one tried to counter stamp the cent and just got super aggressive. However, it definetly is PMD and a little environmental damage on the side. :s

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• @JWP But these look like they happened at the mint..

I love you all ~Spec ✌️

• silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭✭✭

Called Post mint damage happened after it left the mint

• @silverpop said:
    Called Post mint damage happened after it left the mint

It's not post damage. The lettering is protruding

I love you all ~Spec ✌️

• lcutlerlcutler Posts: 496 ✭✭✭✭

Looks to me to be just some kind of foreign substance on the coin. Definitely not something that happened during minting.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely PMD... zinc rot and copper plating lifting following a hit that started it all. Cheers, RickO

• Hello Everyone 👋
    I have been buying boxes of pennies from numerous banks throughout the Midwest for several years now. I've found that after searching through many, that statistically the transitioning from 95%Copper to 95%Zinc in 1982, that most of the pennies (95%Zinc) all through the 80's, particularly 1985, were very short on the Copper extremity.
    For what reasons unknown to me. Most were from the Philadelphia Mint.
    The weights fluctuated within the tolerances also.
    To see RED BU Circulated Zinc Pennies after 1982, I'm sure to be in a Surgeons uniform handling them as if they were explosive. I sleeve them and store accordingly to insure they'll look like that for my Family after I'm dust. 😆
    Sorry for the 'windy' comment, but happy to be on a platform with members who are well seasoned in the addictive world of collecting currency.
    I know that I will learn much more here, than on my own .. the more eyes on the prize, is sure to say treasure or trash.
    I'll be silent now.
    Just excited to be here.

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,641 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TSalano said:
    Hello Everyone 👋
    I have been buying boxes of pennies from numerous banks throughout the Midwest for several years now. I've found that after searching through many, that statistically the transitioning from 95%Copper to 95%Zinc in 1982, that most of the pennies (95%Zinc) all through the 80's, particularly 1985, were very short on the Copper extremity.
    For what reasons unknown to me. Most were from the Philadelphia Mint.
    The weights fluctuated within the tolerances also.
    To see RED BU Circulated Zinc Pennies after 1982, I'm sure to be in a Surgeons uniform handling them as if they were explosive. I sleeve them and store accordingly to insure they'll look like that for my Family after I'm dust. 😆
    Sorry for the 'windy' comment, but happy to be on a platform with members who are well seasoned in the addictive world of collecting currency.
    I know that I will learn much more here, than on my own .. the more eyes on the prize, is sure to say treasure or trash.
    I'll be silent now.
    Just excited to be here.

Welcome.

I just wish your first post had been on this thread. :(
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1079640/lurkers-only-giveaway

There might still be a prize for almost first-time posters.

• JWPJWP Posts: 17,141 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it just a case of too many photos. Abe never liked his picture being taken.

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• FrazFraz Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some kind of pox.