Home Metal Detecting
Options

Decent detector?

Glen2022Glen2022 Posts: 844 ✭✭✭✭

I am nearing retirement and looking for something to fill part of the time. Detecting sounds interesting. What would be a decent Mid range detector for a beginner? live in Oregon, near a river (not sure how productive that might be), Ocean not too far away. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks. Bill

Comments

• Options
    basetsbbasetsb Posts: 508 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 11, 2022 11:14AM

I have had the Garrett AT PRO for many years and no issues with it. Easy to learn and find things. There are more up to date machines now but it depends on how much you want to pay,

@basetsb_coins on Instagram

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

If there is an MD club near you, or a shop, I would suggest discussions with members or proprietor. There are good machines out there, some more expensive than others. If you are going to spend a fair amount of time in the hobby, get a good one. If your are going to detect beaches, get one that can handle salt water. Plus you will need some accessories. This is why it would be good to talk with other MD'rs and get a feel for what would be good you. Also, perhaps one of them would take you out and let you try a machine and see how you like it. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Glen2022Glen2022 Posts: 844 ✭✭✭✭

@basetsb said:
    I have had the Garrett AT PRO for many years and no issues with it. Easy to learn and find things. There are more up to date machines now but it depends on how much you want to pay,

thanks, will check out>

@ricko said:

If there is an MD club near you, or a shop, I would suggest discussions with members or proprietor. There are good machines out there, some more expensive than others. If you are going to spend a fair amount of time in the hobby, get a good one. If your are going to detect beaches, get one that can handle salt water. Plus you will need some accessories. This is why it would be good to talk with other MD'rs and get a feel for what would be good you. Also, perhaps one of them would take you out and let you try a machine and see how you like it. Cheers, RickO

Excellent idea. There are two clubs, each about 50-60 miles away. in different directions. Think I will try one of the clubs.

Thanks

• Options
    Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 12, 2022 8:09PM

If you hunt a salt water beach, you need a simultaneous multi-frequency detector. The Minelab Vanquish 440 and 540 are the least expensive simultaneous multi-frequency detectors on the market; however, the control boxes are not waterproof. A Minelab Equinox 600 or 800 (both waterproof) is probably the best choice for a salt water beach detector. If you don't want to spend $600 for an Equinox 600, get a Vanquish and protect the control box from water. A Garrett AT Pro, or any other single frequency detector, will struggle terribly at a salt water beach.