Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1968 Half Dollar DDR plus

I am still new to coin collecting and coin roll searching. Here is one I recently found. Aside from the DDR, does anyone see anything else?

Tagged:

Comments

• Options

@ifthevamzarockin said:
    Not a DDR that's machine doubling. ;)

What is the difference?

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 6, 2022 9:35AM

Sorry, but it isn't a doubled die, only mechanical doubling which adds no value

Spend time on the the following site to learn about hub doubling. Read the tabs in doubleddie marked Worthless Doubling and Doubled dies to learn the characteristics. Also look at the section on how dies are made.

Www.doubleddie.com
    Www.varietyvista.com

Edit to add

Everything else looks like normal circulation wear and tear. No errors

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options

Thank you, I will keep researching. It really is fun and exciting but there is so much to learn.

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forum! :)

This is a great place to learn and get help..... stick around.

• Options
    MarkKelleyMarkKelley Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

Doubled dies on silver Kennedy halves are easy to find, but I'm sorry to say yours is not one. Keep looking, they're out there!

• Options
    SHAWNK4368SHAWNK4368 Posts: 45 ✭✭

On true doubled dies, the raised elements of the coin where doubled are usually the same height, not the shelf like drop off of machine doubling.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JWoody1979... Welcome aboard.... As stated above, machine doubling, not a DDR. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    justmenutty72justmenutty72 Posts: 394 ✭✭✭
    edited July 7, 2022 5:16PM

Sorry, not a doubled die. I agree with the advice you’ve been given above. eBay is loaded with people offering “doubled dies” like this but they are nothing more than strike doubling aka machine doubling. Glad you’re interested in learning and doing the responsible thing 👍👍👍 and by the way, welcome!!😎

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anytime you decide to research a series or a certain coin and need resources, name it here and there is a very good chance a free online service will be available. Just ask. Also, if not available free, you will be informed as to the best source and you decide whether the coin/series is worth spending funds on for education to learn before investing money. Good luck.
    Yes, this is machine doubling and average wear and tear to a circulating coin.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,895 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forum

Nice 40% Silver Kennedy though.
    Stay Persistent and you WILL find the variety you thought you had.
    :)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file