Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What is this stamp?

I found this 1965 Quarter, I was looking at it closely and could see this weird mark on the leg of the eagle. Please help me figure this one out.

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 6, 2022 8:19AM

Post Mint add on of some sort but honestly can't tell you what the punch is supposed to represent/Kinda looks like a fancy monogram.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's damage of some kind, PMD. No way to know what caused it.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JWoody1979.... Welcome aboard... Excellent pictures. It is Post Mint Damage (PMD) but cannot determine what it might represent. No numismatic premium. Cheers, RickO

• Options

Thank you, all. I was really looking hard to see if it may have been a double claw stamp or maybe part of the arrow. I was just at a road block. I makes more sense that it was something added after the coin was already in circulation. Still pretty cool, I will hang on to it.

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,905 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like leaves of some sort covering a shell?

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,674 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's worms, that eagle got injured and the wound is festering. The vet might have something to treat it. Good luck. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,047 ✭✭✭✭✭

Norwegian Chopmark.
    Common to 1965 issues, this allowed merchants in Oslo to be sure they where receiving the full weight of cupro-nic.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,438 ✭✭✭✭✭

Appears to be a punch used by a silversmith or jeweler to mark his creations.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file