Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

To buy online (coins) in Spain you need a tax id

ELuisELuis Posts: 844 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just found this recently, when trying to buy some coins, one needs to provide a: DNI/NIE/CIF
I asked (on two places) and they told me that was required for the invoice and international shipping data.

Is this the same in other Europe countries?

Comments

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,877 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve never had that before as an overseas buyer

• Options

@Boosibri said:
    I’ve never had that before as an overseas buyer

Thank you, I tried to two of the few sites I found from Spain, and as said that field was/is required.

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭✭✭

A few international auction houses want your passport number. For what???

And if the coins have certain characteristics (age, cost???), their export needs to be approved by some government agency, but that is a mere formality (though with associated fee, of course).

• Options
    SimonWSimonW Posts: 634 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've purchased no less than ten coins from Spain over the past six months, from at least four different dealers, never been asked for a tax ID number.

They do have very restrictive customs laws, however. It's a bit of a song and dance the dealers go through usually to send the coins to the US.

I'm BACK!!! Used to be Billet7 on the old forum.

• Options
    tcollectstcollects Posts: 851 ✭✭✭✭

in my experience, you can provide a passport number instead of a tax number, and it takes 30 days for the export license to go through

• Options
    edited July 5, 2022 7:18AM

Thank you.

I used the Tax ID on the title since NIF stands for tax id for individuals in Spain.

This was for a normal buy and yes some of the sites they also have auctions, but not something that I was looking for now.

Again Thanks!

Edit: added an image capture:

• Options
    FrankHFrankH Posts: 784 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tcollects said:
    in my experience, you can provide a passport number instead of a tax number, and it takes 30 days for the export license to go through

Oh that's sweet. Put your passport info everywhere!
    :#

• Options
    tcollectstcollects Posts: 851 ✭✭✭✭

I balked at first too, but then I thought, what's someone going to do with your pp number? how many people have it in the airline industry? like a SSN - how many thousands of people have access to it at any given moment, it's not secure anymore, so there are other layers of security for commerce and life goes on for most people.

• Options
    BailathaclBailathacl Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭

European privacy and data security laws provide far more protection for personally identifying information than U.S. law. Still not optimal but the extra privacy restrictions on EU businesses may provide some comfort. As always, Caveat Sender!

"The Internet? Is that thing still around??" - Homer Simpson
  • Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 6, 2022 7:41AM

no law in spain says that
    A you must provide a passport to export a coin by yourself when bought from a dealer and then sent by you.
    and
    No law even does require you to have a PP. (only a GOV ID card)
    If you are a commercial buyer with a Co and wish NOT to have to pay the VAT in Spain then you will need PP other than from Spain, But only if you personally carry the goods and export these goods out of the EU from Spain.
    No **direct **export by a dealer from an EU country should be charged VAT, nor any other state tax.
    EU dealers need a VAT-Tax to have the VAT waved, so they can make adjustments on their VAT-return filing,

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    edited July 6, 2022 8:44AM

^
    Here is an image capture from one of the sites, on this one that required field can be display without having an account on the site, it is avail in English language, in case anyone wants to give it a try:

Btw, I found some sites in Barcelona, where this field it is not avail or required.