Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1914 s Lincoln cent DDR? What the heck please help with this error

Comments

• Options

I meant to continue before I publish this I looked through Wexler’s and could not find any DDR references but this is in my opinion not hub doubling or mechanical doubling but an error doubling it follows the pattern of counter clockwise I believe but then again I’m new at this if anybody can help please let me know thank you

• Options
    justmenutty72justmenutty72 Posts: 394 ✭✭✭
    edited July 3, 2022 6:04PM

Strike doubling aka mechanical doubling aka machine doubling. And by the way, it’s a 1912-S

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

Read about the characteristics of mechanical/strike doubling vs true doubling here

https://www.doubleddie.com/144801.html

https://www.doubleddie.com/58222.html

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭✭

It sure looks like mechanical doubling (aka strike doubling) and absolutely looks like a 1912-S, not a 1914-S. Sorry...

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭✭✭

No DDR. Above posts are correct.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not a DDR and not an error and not a 1914D. Three strikes you're out. :D

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Numinewbie... Welcome aboard. Your coin has machine doubling.... Not a DDR. Cheers, RickO

• Options

Hey everyone thank you so much! So I just watched videos on this I concur thank you and have seen a few examples but I need everyone’s input

You’ll see

I’ve questions about 1943 s copper
    Ty

• Options

• Options

So I’m a newbie but I am an educated person scientist and from nyc. I’ve read everything I could about the 1943 s copper and steel

Has anyone ever seen a fake and if so how good are they? Weight 3.1 grams diagnostic seems fine but then there’s exactly the die degradation or doubling I seen on the 12 s I listed/posted
    Plz at your convenience

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options

I have a 43 s to compare I just blanked and compared this not that anyone needs it

• Options
    dunkleosteus430dunkleosteus430 Posts: 471 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 24, 2022 10:50PM

@Numinewbie said:
    Has anyone ever seen a fake and if so how good are they? Weight 3.1 grams...

I'd say that most experienced collectors have seen countless fake 1943 P/D/S Bronze cents, some great fakes that require lab tests or high magnification to discover, but mostly cheap cast or struck fakes that you can buy by the dozen on certain shopping websites. They are often just normal steel 1943 cents coated in copper, too, either made to deceive or made as a novelty. If your coin sticks to a magnet, it's fake.
    You say that your coin is 3.1 grams. That's the weight of a bronze cent, as opposed to a regular steel 1943 of 2.7 grams, but your coin's details look mushy and the luster is a bit 'off.' It is probably a struck counterfeit most likely made in China.
    It would help to post clear photos of the obverse and reverse so that other members who are more experienced than I am could help.

Here are some useful links.

Steel 1943-S cent:
    https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/detail/2717

Bronze 1943-S cent:
    https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/detail/82715

By the way, if you're a troll*, you'll get a hard time from, well, certain members that don't like to waste time. Good luck!

(*There have been quite a few trolls recently. Just giving a warning, but not saying you're definitely a troll.)

Young Numismatist

• Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

Doubled dies are not errors, they are varieties.
    And this isn’t a doubled die.

thefinn
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Numinewbie said:
    So I’m a newbie but I am an educated person scientist and from nyc. I’ve read everything I could about the 1943 s copper and steel

Has anyone ever seen a fake and if so how good are they? Weight 3.1 grams diagnostic seems fine but then there’s exactly the die degradation or doubling I seen on the 12 s I listed/posted
    Plz at your convenience

I posted a link on the other thread. You can buy a many fakes as you want out of China. We'd need better pictures, but the weak letters leads me to believe it is likely fake.

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Numinewbie said:

Plz at your convenience

1943 PDS die struck copper counterfeits from China are readily available on aliexpress for less than two bucks (not sure if they got hit by inflation recently)

Member of the ANA since 1982

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file