WHY WOULD A 1980P QUATER WEIGH 6 GRAMS

PLEASE HELP ME IDENTIFY THIS QUARTER AND VALUE :smiley:

PICTURE:

https://www.facebook.com/thayneslovson

Girlfriend

Comments

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Sonnydew420 Welcome, no need to post the same thing in every topic. It's not gonna get you any replies and is counterproductive. You do however need to post close clear pics of both sides of a coin. And the digital scale display too. Good luck.

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    RelaxnRelaxn Posts: 875 ✭✭✭✭

Did you measure the thickness?
    Did you measure diameter? 24.3 mm?

Did you do a specific gravity test? If you know what the composition of a coin is supposed to be you can calculate it's SG pretty closely, it is the sum of the percentages of each element times the SG for that element.

I am not going to go to Facebook and look at ANYTHING but am fairly certain you have a circulated 1980 quarter that may have a slightly larger planchet... but slightly....
    There is nothing known that would make me think you have anything more than a quarter that is worth a quarter.

There are no US coins that weigh 6 grams. Your scale is not accurate enough to get too excited. You need a much more sensitive scale to get better weight.

Good luck but would temper any real enthusiasm.

• Options
    lcutlerlcutler Posts: 504 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 3, 2022 1:26AM

It appears that you have a quarter that was struck on a slightly thick planchet. Not too uncommon, value would be 25 cents.

• Options
    RelaxnRelaxn Posts: 875 ✭✭✭✭

The real question
    What do you think you have?
    Why did you weigh the quarter? Did it feel heavier? Did it feel different?
    Or is your habit to just weigh coins?

• Options

I enjoy looking for oddities in coins and it looked thicker , heavier . It was off so what do i have? I'm new to this and trying to get my discovery out!

• Options

Anything else about the coin that you could help with or I should know?
    :smile:

• Options

@lcutler said:
    It appears that you have a quarter that was struck on a slightly thick planchet. Not too uncommon, value would be 25 cents.

How is it slightly thick? It weights almost 6.1 grams when it's supposed to weight 5.6. That's not slightly big if you ask my opinion.. I will keep searching and get a professional opinion. Thanks for yours.

• Options

Hi i was weighing out quarters an came across a couple of 1980 p an was weighing them one came out to be 5.6 for second then to 5.5 mine doesn't do the hundredth.. Then i throw the second one on an its 6.1 an drops to 6 theres nothing wrong with the coin looks in good condition.. Its also looks a whole lot thicker an it has more crisp looking edges instead of rounded..

Tagged: quarter

• Options

@Sonnydew420 said:

@lcutler said:

How is it slightly thick? It weights almost 6.1 grams when it's supposed to weight 5.6. That's not slightly big if you ask my opinion.. I will keep searching and get a professional opinion. Thanks for yours.
    yes, just slightly thick. The tolerance for quarters is .227 grams. This means anything up to 5.9 is completely normal, yours is just barely out of this range so it is just slightly thick. If you want a “professional” opinion, spend your money and send it to PCGS.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Sonnydew420 said:
    I will keep searching and get a professional opinion. Thanks for yours.

You lost me with this comment.

There are a lot of professionals on this forum. And they have been giving you their opinions.

The stumbling block is the lack of photos ans exact weight.

• Options

10 posts on the same coin might be a new record.

• Options
    BJandTundraBJandTundra Posts: 383 ✭✭✭✭

A "Quater"? Must be from "Baston".

• Options
    JWPJWP Posts: 17,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 3, 2022 8:54PM

@Sonnydew420

@lcutler said:
    10 posts on the same coin might be a new record.

Seriously, 10 posts about the same quarter. You're currently an applicant and you can't post pictures until the status is a member. Give everybody a break and stop posting about the same subject without listening to what people are telling you. You need photos of what you're talking about not words about something that nobody can see. When you can post a picture, post the picture. More words are making it look like this is a scam just to get attention. It is not working.

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

And no more coffee.

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall