Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

So-called 1937-p three legged buffalo nickel for sale on ebay, in uncirculated condition to boot!

BUFFNIXXBUFFNIXX Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 30, 2022 10:57AM in U.S. Coin Forum

So-called 1937-p three legged buffalo nickel for sale on ebay, in uncirculated condition to boot
my first reaction is this might be a new three and one half legged buffalo but upon closer inspection you can see
the area of the leg below the bison's neck has been photoshopped. Asking first bid is a grand with no returns.
just stare at the leg front leg area below the buffs neck and you will see an area shaped like a rhombus that has been
photoshopped and this is the only coin the seller has on ebay right now wonder if anyone will be dumb enough to bid
a grand on this which if it were real would be quite a significant new variety of course the seller offers no returns on this
gem and i will update this if anyone does make a bid, in other words if there is at least one bidiot out there for this one

Collector of Buffalo Nickels and other 20th century United States Coinage
a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"

Comments

• Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is the most hilariously bad photoshop job I've seen to try and fool someone. They just took a grey square and said that'll do. :lol:

Young Numismatist, Coin Photographer.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow!! A real con job....but so obvious to those who will look closely. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

The dark spot makes the alteration very evident.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,218 ✭✭✭✭✭

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

If anyone cares to look at the ebay auction, it is auction number 325249578040

a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,218 ✭✭✭✭✭

is this reportable?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    edited June 30, 2022 11:06AM

@MsMorrisine said:
    is this reportable?

probably not
    this is not like someone tried to grind off a leg

a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options
    1Bufffan1Bufffan Posts: 620 ✭✭✭

No separation on small feather on obverse, beard on bison is the same size, definitely not a true 3-legged Buff. This is what hurts the Hobby when people like this pull stuff like that!

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,966 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1Bufffan said:
    No separation on small feather on obverse, beard on bison is the same size, definitely not a true 3-legged Buff. This is what hurts the Hobby when people like this pull stuff like that!

No "D" isn't enough?

• Options
    1Bufffan1Bufffan Posts: 620 ✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@1Bufffan said:

No "D" isn't enough?

Yes, I was laughing so hard that I missed it or it was the tear in my eye that had my vision blurry not sure which one, but It's sad someone would try to sell this.

• Options
    Glen2022Glen2022 Posts: 843 ✭✭✭✭

NGC certification verification come back as 1937 5C MS65 with NO indication of 3 legs. value $50. I pulled up other NGC certs and both that I looked at specified 3 legs.

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,007 ✭✭✭✭✭

I see scratches on the coin also. Looks like a "K" (graffiti) below OF. And a vertical scratch on the Bison's midsection.

• Options
    dunkleosteus430dunkleosteus430 Posts: 471 ✭✭✭✭

@dcarr those are both shadows from scratches on the holder.

Young Numismatist

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh please. Who tossed the invisibility cloak over the front leg?

• Options
    WilliamFWilliamF Posts: 832 ✭✭✭✭✭

:D:D:'( Guy needs to work on his photoshop skills...

."It's a dangerous business... going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to" -JRR Tolkien_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________Outstanding BST transactions as a seller, buyer and trader with: ----- mustanggt, Kliao, claudewill87, MWallace, paesan, mpbuck82, moursund, basetsb, lordmarcovan, JWP, Coin hunter 4, COINS MAKE CENTS, PerryHall, Aspie_Rocco, Braddick, DBSTrader2, SanctionII, Histman, The_Dinosaur_Man, jesbroken, CentSearcher ------ANA Member #3214817

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,673 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can't believe that offering an altered image of something for sale, isn't A violation. But what do I know. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Namvet69 said:
    I can't believe that offering an altered image of something for sale, isn't A violation. But what do I know. Peace Roy

You can report listings that you suspect are fraudulent. I believe that this one easily qualifies.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    burfle23burfle23 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 30, 2022 5:02PM

Absolutely "reportable"! And reported...

• Options
    AvocetAvocet Posts: 226 ✭✭✭✭

This is so far off the mark that my first thought was this must be an April Fool's joke that is 3 months late-- wow!

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,311 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hey everyone makes a goof every now and then. Here's what they meant.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    justmenutty72justmenutty72 Posts: 394 ✭✭✭

What a friggin joke. Pathetic

• Options
    Glen2022Glen2022 Posts: 843 ✭✭✭✭

Its still up on Ebay as of 6:19 PM PST

• Options

I just reported it also. Where are you little boy with the orange jacket??

• Options
    heavymetalheavymetal Posts: 570 ✭✭✭✭

I reported it just now. It would be a shame if someone gets burned.

• Options
    edited June 30, 2022 7:25PM

The seller modified the listing after I let him know about his pathetic photoshop attempt, but now he’s calling it a proof. Please read his description to see his apology. What a crock of bull💩
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/325249578040?_trkparms=amclksrc=ITM&aid=111001&algo=REC.SEED&ao=1&asc=20160727114228&meid=093e826715cb42a19069b09a2c976430&pid=100290&rk=1&rkt=4&sd=325249578040&itm=325249578040&pmt=1&noa=1&pg=2060778&_trksid=p2060778.c100290.m3507

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

"I let him know about his pathetic photoshop attempt, but now he’s calling it a proof."

The seller ended the listing calling it a proof and relisted it as a proof again. :/
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/325250730661

• Options
    0ronron0ronron Posts: 248 ✭✭✭

But now the leg has reappeared and bids start at $2500.00

Thank you, Heavenly Father, for first loving us.

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm tired of seeing crap like this all the time. The seller should be banned for life from E-bay.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    lcutlerlcutler Posts: 504 ✭✭✭✭

Don’t message him or he will block you though. I actually did message him and asked why NGC didn’t designate it as three legged. His response was “ Who?”.

• Options

@lcutler said:
    Don’t message him or he will block you though. I actually did message him and asked why NGC didn’t designate it as three legged. His response was “ Who?”.

He sent me 3 consecutive messages all saying “Who?” also.

• Options

@ifthevamzarockin said:
    "I let him know about his pathetic photoshop attempt, but now he’s calling it a proof."

The seller ended the listing calling it a proof and relisted it as a proof again. :/
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/325250730661

And just like that, poof….little boy with the orange jacket appears 😂🤣😂👍👍👍

• Options
    The_Dinosaur_ManThe_Dinosaur_Man Posts: 839 ✭✭✭✭✭

Two listings of the same coin and photoshopped each time? Not only should his ability to sell be revoked, but to so his ability to use that photo editing program. Distasteful

Custom album maker and numismatic photographer, see my portfolio here: (http://www.donahuenumismatics.com/).

• Options

Update: this coin has been relisted, but this time correctly. I don’t think it’s gonna get much attention with a starting bid of $100

https://www.ebay.com/itm/325251778917?hash=item4bba844965:g:lI4AAOSwmcdiv2zr

• Options

In the end here is the unphotoshoped picture which the perp finally fixed.
    what a sleezebag!

a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file