Home U.S. Coin Forum

PCGS Grading Process Question

ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just curious what folks thoughts on which of the various steps in the grading process typically take the longest? Per the graphic in my order details there is Order Processing and Specification, Authentication and Grading, Grade Finalization and Encapsulation, Holder check and verification and finally Outbound Packaging and Shipping.

I would think Grading would take the longest as it is a specialized detailed focused skill and you can't ramp up as volume increases very fast and then maybe Outbound Packaging and Shipping taking the least amount of time as it seems straight forward, So far with my current submission it has spent the most time in the Grade Finalization and Encapsulation.

As mentioned, just curious really.

K

ANA LM

Comments

• lermishlermish Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is also a final grader at the encapsulation step. I agree that grading typically takes the longest but it's not like it's a massive factory...one or two people being sick or on vacation can materially impact times, especially with more esoteric coins.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

It may be in 'the category' for an extended period, but grading itself does not take long at all. The time is eaten up due to the extremely high volume of coins in queue. Cheers, RickO

• MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭✭✭

The actual grading process almost certainly takes up the shortest period of time since HRH and others at PCGS are on record as saying the graders take about 10-20 seconds on each coin. Even if there are three graders and a finalizer that's only about a minute.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file