Options

Jacksonville mail carrier robbed at gunpoint

derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

Comments

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭✭✭

Was your package coins?

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭

yes, when there's more than will fit in the mailbox or high dollar value I carry them to the PO one mile away.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options

Can't argue with that. Good move!! 👍🏻 I make it a point to be home watching for the carrier when I'm expecting a package.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:
    At one time before checking accounts were common, people would send cash including large sums of money through the mail. At that time, mail carriers were issued revolvers to be carried during mail deliveries because they were the frequent targets of robbers.

Wow!

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,329 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was 13 at that time in 1961 and do not remember this happening nor postal employees packing guns, but it did happen nationwide, while the threat of death seemed minimal, tremendous beatings were taken place during robberies, even of women clerks. Thanks @PerryHall for a very informative post. They were trained on firearm use, looking for firearms and handling of weapons and ammunition. .38's were the weapons of choice by the government.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 30, 2022 7:31AM

@derryb said:
    yes, when there's more than will fit in the mailbox or high dollar value I carry them to the PO one mile away.

I carry all my packages to the PO and get a receipt for the tracking. Every now and then those receipts are useful with ebay! Somebody buy something since my trip today only has an $8 coin in it! :# I don't have to go but I have a good Barber Dime sitting there waiting on me!

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

Our clerks used to put on a holster with firearm when going out the door to the street.

There were tracks in the street in front of the Post Office, and mail for our P.O. was handed to our clerk daily.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,230 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:

armored car or armored personnel carrier?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

"A United States Postal Service Letter Carrier was robbed at gunpoint"

Even if a letter carrier had a gun they would be stupid to try to draw it when the criminal already has their gun out.

• Options
    slider23slider23 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭✭

When I was 12 year old, I owned a 22 for rabbit hunting, a 4/10 shotgun for duck and pheasant and a deer rifle. How time have changed.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ifthevamzarockin said:
    "A United States Postal Service Letter Carrier was robbed at gunpoint"

Even if a letter carrier had a gun they would be stupid to try to draw it when the criminal already has their gun out.

It depends on the situation. There's no guarantee the victim of a robbery won't be killed by a criminal even if he doesn't resist. For some reason, most criminals don't want to leave behind a witness and they want to tie up any loose ends.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:
    It depends on the situation. There's no guarantee the victim of a robbery won't be killed by a criminal even if he doesn't resist. For some reason, most criminals don't want to leave behind a witness and they want to tie up any loose ends.

Trust me, when you are looking down the barrel of a gun you think about your next move very carefully. ;)

• Options
    Herb_THerb_T Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭✭✭

@slider23 said:
    When I was 12 year old, I owned a 22 for rabbit hunting, a 4/10 shotgun for duck and pheasant and a deer rifle. How time have changed.

In 7th and 8th grade I was a member of the rifle club. There was a shooting range in the basement of the high school along with a steel cabinet with a padlock on it….now there is something you will never see these days!

• Options
    edited June 30, 2022 7:40PM

@Herb_T said:

@slider23 said:

In 7th and 8th grade I was a member of the rifle club. There was a shooting range in the basement of the high school along with a steel cabinet with a padlock on it….now there is something you will never see these days!

7th and 8th grade is Junior High. Can I ask the name of your High School?

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

When my Dad was a boy, him and his two older brothers carried their rifles to school. They were hoping to shoot something for supper on the way home.

• Options
    JoeLewisJoeLewis Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭✭

@OAKSTAR said:
    The crime rate in this country today is off the charts and through the roof!!

Actual data suggests otherwise. Crime rate is nowhere near what it was in the 80s and 90s.

• Options

@JoeLewis said:

@OAKSTAR said:

Actual data suggests otherwise. Crime rate is nowhere near what it was in the 80s and 90s.

I guess it depends on where you live.

• Options
    JoeLewisJoeLewis Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭✭

@OAKSTAR said:

@JoeLewis said:

@OAKSTAR said:

For sure. It’s really difficult to disseminate the data, and violent crime in some areas is increasing recently. But in general, things were incredibly worse in the late 70s through the early 90s.

• Options
    bigjpstbigjpst Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OAKSTAR said:

@JoeLewis said:

@OAKSTAR said:

Or what crimes they no longer consider for their statistic.

• Options

@bigjpst said:

@OAKSTAR said:

@JoeLewis said:

@OAKSTAR said:

Or what crimes they no longer consider for their statistic.

Exactly! Fudging the numbers and cooking the books!! Hey, prosecutors aren't prosecuting. No one is going to jail, which means crime is way down...........problem solved!!

• Options

@JoeLewis said:
    news and social media often gives us a distorted view.

Yes, they tell you "a" story what they want you to know. They don't tell you "the" story!

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:
    At one time before checking accounts were common, people would send cash including large sums of money through the mail. At that time, mail carriers were issued revolvers to be carried during mail deliveries because they were the frequent targets of robbers.

Wow!

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    TomthemailcarrierTomthemailcarrier Posts: 636 ✭✭✭✭✭

In 1982 as a new letter carrier I occasionally delivered Registered boxes of U.S. postage stamps to the smaller stations. On the side of the box it’d state the # of stamps in the box. Usually the cash value was $30,000 or so ($90,000 in todays dollar). I’d hide them under a few empty canvas sacks in the wheel well until I could be rid of them. I always knew that if something happened to them the Postal Inspectors would consider me their prime suspect.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file