Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

For Cladking: Trueviews of recently graded 1969 P and 1983 P MS66 quarters.

SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,732 ✭✭✭✭✭

Trueview photos of these quarters posted today.

Comments

• Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your second 69 is exceptional and looks better than 66 to me! If not for the weaker strike on the 83, I bet it would have gotten pushed up too. Maybe they didnt like the chatter in the hair and wing.

• Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭✭✭

@erwindoc said:
    Your second 69 is exceptional and looks better than 66 to me! If not for the weaker strike on the 83, I bet it would have gotten pushed up too. Maybe they didnt like the chatter in the hair and wing.

I think they got that second 1969 for the scratch under the chin. I think it's an easy 67 otherwise.

Young Numismatist, Coin Photographer.

• Options
    P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FlyingAl said:

@erwindoc said:

I think they got that second 1969 for the scratch under the chin. I think it's an easy 67 otherwise.

Agree. That scratch is a dealbreaker for a 67 in my book.

Nothing is as expensive as free money.

• Options

I agree that without the scratch under the chin the second 1969 quarter would warrant a 67.

In hand viewed with a loupe all three coins look great. They definitely are better in quality than typical MS examples of these coins.

• Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

The reverse of the first 1969 is incredibly well struck.

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice quarters, the reverses all seem to be the better side...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very very nice.

The '83-P isn't nearly as nice as the others but it's one of the cleanest for the date you'll ever see.

The '69 is plagued by planchet defects and weak strikes while the '83 by scratches and gouges.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options

@erwindoc said:

I can't find the '82 and '83 issues with 99% full strikes though the '83-D quarter comes close. The '83-P comes with nice strikes but not full. Even with the lower relief they just don't fill out.

I'd go at least 66+ on the second '69. Even the first '69 is very high grade for the date. Most of these looked like junk even before they all tarnished in the mint sets. I used to figure one nice gemmy coin in 20 sets. Of course most of these were only MS-64 by today's standards.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭✭✭

JMHO based on the images, maybe I'm in the minority but the top coin looks to be better struck than the 2nd coin. All things considered, a "grade" is really a composite of attributes which is why the two are graded the same. Coin two might have more eye appeal but coin one is better struck, particularly the reverse.

• Options

@Maywood said:
    JMHO based on the images, maybe I'm in the minority but the top coin looks to be better struck than the 2nd coin. All things considered, a "grade" is really a composite of attributes which is why the two are graded the same. Coin two might have more eye appeal but coin one is better struck, particularly the reverse.

It is hammered.

This is not extremely unusual for mint set coins.

I've seen very very few well struck coins made for circulation despite looking ever since 1969. None were Full Strike. It's a safe bet both of these are mint set coins.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options

The 1969 quarter in the top photo came from a Mint Set. I was looking through a number of 1969 Mint Sets and all of the 1969 P quarters looked ugly, except this one. It really stood out from all of the others from the moment I first saw it.

I immediately bought the set and cut out the quarter.

The 1969 quarter in the middle photo and the 1983 quarter in the bottom photo came from an album of MS 1950 - 1989 Quarters contained in US Postal Commemorative Society album containing both stamps and coins. All of the MS Silver quarters are very nice and many of the MS clad quarters are very nice. I picked up that album for very modest money 15+ years ago, removed the coins and put most of them in a Dansco Album. When I saw the 1969 P and the 1983 P quarters in that album I knew that they were very high quality and eye appealing. I can only assume that when the US Postal Commemorative Society assembled the album it picked high quality examples of the 1950 - 1989 coins (most likely that were contained in Mint Sets) to place into the album.

• Options

@SanctionII said:
    The 1969 quarter in the top photo came from a Mint Set. I was looking through a number of 1969 Mint Sets and all of the 1969 P quarters looked ugly, except this one. It really stood out from all of the others from the moment I first saw it.

I immediately bought the set and cut out the quarter.

The 1969 quarter in the middle photo and the 1983 quarter in the bottom photo came from an album of MS 1950 - 1989 Quarters contained in US Postal Commemorative Society album containing both stamps and coins. All of the MS Silver quarters are very nice and many of the MS clad quarters are very nice. I picked up that album for very modest money 15+ years ago, removed the coins and put most of them in a Dansco Album. When I saw the 1969 P and the 1983 P quarters in that album I knew that they were very high quality and eye appealing. I can only assume that when the US Postal Commemorative Society assembled the album it picked high quality examples of the 1950 - 1989 coins (most likely that were contained in Mint Sets) to place into the album.

The Postal Commemorative Society dismantled hundreds of thousands of mint sets for their products. They are almost certainly one of the largest ten consumers of early mint sets. I've even seen intact mint sets (without the envelopes) in their products.

I've long suspected they were one of the biggest buyers of the '82 and '83 rolls when thy first started soaring in price in the late-80's but there's no real way to know. I'm basing this primarily on the fact that very few of the coins were being sold other than by big retailers moving date and mint mark sets. I kindda doubt Chattanooga Coin and Stamp and the other retailers even combined could have stressed the supply. But then I've always figured they moved these sets by the dozens rather than the hundreds. If they were moving a lot they'd have advertised them more extensively. It's not like you see these products very often and when you do they tend to be pre-1982 and poor quality.

I picked up most of the choice souvenir sets I saw in those day and all of them for under $4. But nobody had any quantity of these. The most I ever saw at once were about 30 and I had to pass on most because of price. Your '83-P here is very familiar to me but I can't help on where it came from. It is a true Unc and many of them aren't. A lot of the sets from the '80's, '90's and even today use sliders and AU's.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options

@SanctionII said:

I used to find about 3 Gem Philly quarters in 400 '69 mint sets (.75%). Most were not as nice as either of these. Hammered coins were a little more common but most were not Gem.

Most of these sets have been destroyed over the years and most of the few survivors are tarnished. People need to get off the dime and clean these or they'll be gone forever. Even finding heavily worn ones in circulation that aren't culls is getting tough.

I've been a huge fan of the '69 in choice condition for many years and no doubt a few people have set some aside. But it's always been very difficult to find any so there are not that many out there. You could pick them up for a quarter but only after wearing out a dollar's worth of shoe leather looking for them.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options

I have 2 or 3 more MS 1969 quarters that I have picked up over the years. They are nice coins but not close to the quality of the 2 coins I had graded.

Always on the look out for them.

One day I hope to cherrypick an MS67 or better example of this coin.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file