Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Question regarding the W mint V75 quarters

jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,297 ✭✭✭✭✭

Other than the W mint mark and perhaps the V75 what makes one issue more valuable than another. I found a 2020 W V75 Marsh-Billings-Rockefeller in change the other day and for kicks looked it up and of course hardly any value listed in AU, but in MS listings it is slightly higher value than the others. Why is that? They are all 2M mintage for 2020. Just curious. Sorry, pics taken in sunlight.
Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain

Comments

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 29, 2022 12:46PM

Jim you know the answer. Supply and demand. Less supply of mint state Marsh -Billings than the other 4.

Edit sometimes there is more demand for a certain design as well.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options

@gumby1234 said:
    Jim you know the answer. Supply and demand. Less supply of mint state Marsh -Billings than the other 4.

I understand that, but I wonder why that it is not distributed as well as others, in fact, enough for pcgs to relegate pricing at a different level. I could understand a coin minted in San Francisco being slow to make it east, but this coin should be as readily available in the east as any of the coins and it is not. I have went through 3 boxes and many, many rolls in the last year and not found a one, in fact I only found one period and that was sent to another forum member who needed it. It seems Chicago got them all, eh Joey? lol
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭✭✭

Joey got a ton of W quarters. I haven't found one of any of the 10 different in the wild yet.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    JRGeyerJRGeyer Posts: 131 ✭✭✭

The Land Stewardship was the only one I have found in circulation actually. Found it on Long Island.

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

We’re still in the “zero found in the wild “ group.
    Did post some really nice 2022D Sally’s that came from 7-11. Saturday morning coffee and coins. 😉🙀🦫

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are a lot of us still looking for one in the wild. I have a couple of W quarters, courtesy of forum members. But still trying to find a wild W... :D Cheers, RickO

• Options
    WQuarterFreddieWQuarterFreddie Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jesbroken

I know a guy from New York who got plenty of Marsh-Billings W quarters. I live in Maryland and got many W quarters from boxes of new coin rolls Marsh-Billings.

It just depends on the bank and how often you went there to get boxes. At one point I was getting 5 boxes/week.

The raw 2019-W American Memorial is the same as the 2020-W Marsh Billings. They both are the most valuable of their respective sets as documented by completed Ebay sales.

Congratulations on the find!😎

• Options

Any one need this one for a set. Not Uncirculated as you can see, but you are welcome to it.
    Jim

• Options
    WQuarterFreddieWQuarterFreddie Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jesbroken

You may want to reach out to @Landon6

He just found a Tallgrass W quarter.😉

• Options

BTW, it's not green, just sun messing with the camera. It's like any other mostly new quarter. lol
    Jim

• Options
    JWPJWP Posts: 17,636 ✭✭✭✭✭

Condition -- condition -- condition. Nice find. I've found 26 so far, but they are getting harder to find every day. The last one i found is showing a little wear, but there are still nice "W's" out there waiting to find a home.

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jesbroken said:

@gumby1234 said:

I understand that, but I wonder why that it is not distributed as well as others, in fact, enough for pcgs to relegate pricing at a different level. I could understand a coin minted in San Francisco being slow to make it east, but this coin should be as readily available in the east as any of the coins and it is not. I have went through 3 boxes and many, many rolls in the last year and not found a one, in fact I only found one period and that was sent to another forum member who needed it. It seems Chicago got them all, eh Joey? lol
    Jim

The distribution of the W quarter series was "suppose" to be evenly distributed throughout the country, mixed in with the Denver and Philly business strikes. That never happened....or it happened very poorly. The anticipated plan never quite worked. Some areas of the country were drowning/flooded with W's and other areas received none.

When W's started showing up in particular areas, guys started hitting the banks and scooping up boxes before they hit circulation or used in commerce. In my opinion, it was completely the luck of the draw. If you were fortunate enough to be in the right area and assuming you were looking.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    stawickstawick Posts: 469 ✭✭✭✭

@OAKSTAR said:

@jesbroken said:

@gumby1234 said:

Jim

The distribution of the W quarter series was "suppose" to be evenly distributed throughout the country, mixed in with the Denver and Philly business strikes. That never happened....or it happened very poorly. The anticipated plan never quite worked. Some areas of the country were drowning/flooded with W's and other areas received none.

When W's started showing up in particular areas, guys started hitting the banks and scooping up boxes before they hit circulation or used in commerce. In my opinion, it was completely the luck of the draw. If you were fortunate enough to be in the right area and assuming you were looking.

I've joked about this before, but in my area of NY state its like businesses are scouring the parking lots for their change, not the banks so much. So fewer bank orders on average, I imagine. Which sux.
    When I was in Myrtle Beach on vac I ran across the new (shiney) Angelou and Ride quarters. Maybe due to more tourist commerce?

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jesbroken said:

"They're magically delicious!"

You know Jim, I guess my area where I live (Chicago) does appear to be more generous than other states when it comes to distributing the W's.
    So, why don't you come and visit Chicago for the summer? Pick up a few bank boxes from different banks and I can almost guarantee you'll find some W's!
    :D

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options

@joeykoins When your mayor disappears from earth I might just do that or if they start giving out Cap Bust Large Cents in change. lol
    Jim

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file