Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Raw CBH Date set... Work in progress.

DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭✭✭

Grabbed these quick photos of my raw CBH date set last night... still a long ways to go including the king. No rush here, I fully expect this set to take another 3-5 years to finish off with the look I like.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

Comments

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really nice!

Just wait until you get to the 1815/2.

Have you Overtoned them?

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options

@Treashunt said:
    Really nice!

Just wait until you get to the 1815/2.

Have you Overtoned them?

Oh I've seen what those cost lol. Probably the last one I'll buy, and will definitely be slabbed.

RE Overtons, I've looked at a few but I don't have the patience for that lol. T-I alignments for days. :weary:

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

Try to get " The Ultimate Guide To Attributing Bust Half Dollars' by Glenn Peterson.

After a little practice it gets far easier.

But some dates, like the '32 & '34 are tough.

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options

Thanks for the rec, I'll have to check it out. I've been a maibockaddict guy for a while now.

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a very good start. Enjoy the journey! 👍🏻

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DelawareDoons .... Nice looking set of coins there.... Will you get an album for them? Good luck with future acquisitions. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool! A fun collecting effort. I'd put them in a Dansco.

Attributing isn't a chore. It's fun once you get good at it. And until you attribute them you don't really know what you have, right?

I know a fellow who collected an entire date set...every one holed! No kidding. He even had a holed 15/2 and 39-O. He spent decades finding them.
    Lance.

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful... Love the "circ-cameo" look! Best, Leo

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Neat to see all of them together like that, its a great set to assemble!
    As usual, after putting together and selling a few sets of cbh, I too find myself back at it... they don't call it an addiction for nothing!
    I'm with Lance, definitely try and get more comfortable with attributing.. its a good idea to know what you have, there could be something special hiding in there!

Here's an example..
    I'm also working on a holed set and was able to pick this unattributed 13-101b from pretty lousy ebay pics!

• Options
    Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice circulates look!

BHNC #248 … 108 and counting.

• Options
    edited June 29, 2022 11:03AM

@ricko said:
    @DelawareDoons .... Nice looking set of coins there.... Will you get an album for them? Good luck with future acquisitions. Cheers, RickO

@lkeigwin said:
    Cool! A fun collecting effort. I'd put them in a Dansco.

Yeah, I'm actually going to make a custom album for these when the set is done. Should be pretty neat.

@lkeigwin said:
    Attributing isn't a chore. It's fun once you get good at it. And until you attribute them you don't really know what you have, right?

I know a fellow who collected an entire date set...every one holed! No kidding. He even had a holed 15/2 and 39-O. He spent decades finding them.
    Lance.

I've attributed a few of them, but I just get hung up on some and get frustrated. I haven't updated my spreadsheet yet (I update once every 3-6 months depending on speed of acquisitions) but this is where it sat last I did mess with it. You can see some are attributed, others aren't.

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great looking set so far. Can't want to see it when the set's finished!

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

You have friends and family here, @DelawareDoons, who'll help with attribution. And show pick-up points. I'd guess that generally you can ID a die marriage by looking at just a half dozen spots. Sure, some are tougher.

As a youngster I loved those cartoon drawings of an image reproduced several times but something was a little different in each one. An eye missing, a dog with three legs, only four fingers on a hand. "Which one doesn't belong?"

Same thing.

Maybe hold off on the reeded edge coins until you're ready for a bigger challenge. Because they were produced with steam powered presses all the devices could be hubbed and very little was done to working dies. The differences among them are minuscule and harder to spot.
    Lance.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file