1923-D Peace Dollar opinions please

HoldTheMayoHoldTheMayo Posts: 120 ✭✭✭
edited June 28, 2022 4:07PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I really like the rim toning on this Denver Peace
Just want some opinions before I pull the trigger

Comments

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

My guess is that the coin will have far less red in hand, TV's almost always have a red tint/shift.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    WingedLiberty1957WingedLiberty1957 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    dollarfandollarfan Posts: 315 ✭✭✭

It looks nice as far as peace toning goes. What is the grade 65 or 65+ ? I am in agreement that it may look alot more brown in hand

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

:+1:

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a nice coin I'd pay a premium to get given the toning. The real question is how much of a premium. Some folks will pay what I think are crazy premiums for toned coins. But if you're building a set of toned coins and don't often come across a particular date with nice toning, that person may be willing to pay what I'd consider crazy money to complete a set.

The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    alaura22alaura22 Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nothing is as expensive as free money.

• Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it.

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks nice

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    drfishdrfish Posts: 938 ✭✭✭✭

I’m a fan ! Hopefully as nice in hand as the trueview

• Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks great

Mr_Spud

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

Buy it

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 28, 2022 6:54PM

I'm kind of wary buying coin from the TV - would really like an actual in hand photo with no tilting to enhance the toning.

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    air4mdcair4mdc Posts: 800 ✭✭✭✭

Nice coin, if the price is reasonable I don’t see where you could go wrong. The only detractor is the spot on the rays, to me. But if the price was right 👍🏻

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,644 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pass - obv scratches. You wb buyer on something you can’t sell.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it👍

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    FranklinHalfAddictFranklinHalfAddict Posts: 651 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 28, 2022 7:34PM

I generally don’t like the design.
    The toning is neutral to me.
    One thing I like on that coin is the die cracks/stress marks on the obverse. Very distinct one traveling across the coin and through the Y.

• Options
    CrackoutCrackout Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pull...the...trigger...

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would. I like it.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you like it and the price is reasonable and there's a good return policy, buy it. See if you like it in hand. The toning is attractive, but mostly neutral. The scrape in the obverse field from the hair down to about 9:00 is going to need in-hand assessment to see if it's problematic.

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Steven59 said:
    I'm kind of wary buying coin from the TV - would really like an actual in hand photo with no tilting to enhance the toning.

TV's don't involve any tilting to enhance toning. Raw coins are lit with vertical lighting that brings out color.

No argument that colors sometimes appear saturated. Ordinary viewing angles and lighting don't show color the same way.

Try viewing a toned coin under direct halogen lighting. Get the glare as close to the coin as possible. You'll see why TV's of raw coins can show color we usually miss due to the glare of a slab.

But I get your point. A middle ground would be nice.
    Lance.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not one I would buy... I do not like tarnish. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file