i would like opinions on the value and desirability of this Golden toned Morgan
The toning is slightly darker than the picture
The lines on the face are scratches on the plastic not the coin
Thanks in advance
Frank D

Comments

• Options
    P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

It doesn’t have the kind of toning that would lead me to believe it’d warrant a premium, especially with the fat fingerprint between 7 and 8 o’clock. If anything, the old green holder might give it a slight bump.

Nothing is as expensive as free money.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not an attractive type of tarnish, so I doubt much of a premium there.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

discounted in my opinion vs white

may the fonz be with you...always...
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,768 ✭✭✭✭✭

More likely to get discounted than a premium in my view, the old holder may help it sell quicker but even that may not be able to overcome that look.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

What's the VAM? Toning doesn't cut it for me but a O/CC would be a game changer.
    bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,944 ✭✭✭✭✭

Poor eye appeal. A coin that should discounted as others have said.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 28, 2022 9:26AM

Toners are a special animal. It takes someone who loves toners pay up, etc. in pricing them it takes some work / research.

I would take a look at dealer websites or dealer eBay store who has lots of toners. and (1) compare his toners vs non toner MV. (2) jot down premium factor, description. Analyze premium factors vs his description. It takes doing some home work. One dealer on eBay I basically dissected his inventory doing this making my own pricing table. What is the premium range for a particular description.

Your 1900-O dollar has some possibilities. I would tack on 50-75 pct more (toner bump up) on price and have bin /mo. Or frankly suggest yo do your own research. It boils down on how badly the buyer wants the coin. This conservative IMV to many analyzed. But you still have to find the buyer who gonna pay the money.

Your coin I really need to c in 100 watt lite. One descr: Original, Lustrous, PQ example of this issue, with its exquisite gold toning a really super deal! However the scratched holder a deal breaker for many. Get it reholdered. Does it have exquisite gold toning on your view? In another thread a guy supposedly paid $700 extra bc of custom slab label on $100 platinum PCGS coin.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love toners, but no premium for this toning in my opinion.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    fathomfathom Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not desirable toning-wise, and it is a common date.

• Options
    RondorRondor Posts: 116 ✭✭✭

This is my one toner that I will sell when a major toner auction comes up...one day. I love looking at it as often as I can.

• Options
    KISHU1KISHU1 Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭

Thanks for all the responses this is why I love this forum
    Frank D

• Options
    stockdude_stockdude_ Posts: 456 ✭✭✭

The toning is ok but i dont like the strike at all

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭✭✭

The slab can be improved with Maguire's scratch-x. Old holders do carry a lot of interest. $85 or so imo.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file