Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Real or Fake,,,,,,ebay auction.

AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seller indicates the coins he has are inherited and his father was a collector. I sent a note as to have him take this coin to a shop for a look see. He's in Indy. Here's the auction. Real or fake?
bob :)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/314050560795?

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com

Comments

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,438 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fake.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pictures are terrible, but it looks fake...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

fake

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fake

• Options
    vplite99vplite99 Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭✭✭

Has the look of a Chinese counterfeit. Poor pictures, 0 feedback, what could go wrong?

Vplite99
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a very poor counterfeit.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,513 ✭✭✭✭✭

bogus counerfiet

• Options
    WilliamFWilliamF Posts: 832 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 27, 2022 10:27AM

0 feedback, 0 sales, starts out with an 1882 CC (one of the most common counterfeit dates) MAJOR red flag. coin doesn't even matter as much in this case as everything else points to counterfeit and deception.

Although, yes, the coin is fake :)

."It's a dangerous business... going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to" -JRR Tolkien_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________Outstanding BST transactions as a seller, buyer and trader with: ----- mustanggt, Kliao, claudewill87, MWallace, paesan, mpbuck82, moursund, basetsb, lordmarcovan, JWP, Coin hunter 4, COINS MAKE CENTS, PerryHall, Aspie_Rocco, Braddick, DBSTrader2, SanctionII, Histman, The_Dinosaur_Man, jesbroken, CentSearcher ------ANA Member #3214817

• Options

That's a very poor counterfeit.> @WilliamF said:

0 feedback, 0 sales, starts out with an 1882 CC (one of the most common counterfeit dates) MAJOR red flag. coin doesn't even matter as much in this case as everything else points to counterfeit and deception.

I disagree - the coin, itself, matters far more than those other considerations.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

@MFeld said:

I disagree - the coin, itself, matters far more than those other considerations.

Perhaps for someone who doesn't know the series it would be wise to study the coin first and these other red flags would be secondary, but for me personally the coin itself doesn't even need scrutinizing, there's no need to even look twice, it's so bad...
    I guess it just depends on how you look at it, but different things are important to different people :)

."It's a dangerous business... going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to" -JRR Tolkien_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________Outstanding BST transactions as a seller, buyer and trader with: ----- mustanggt, Kliao, claudewill87, MWallace, paesan, mpbuck82, moursund, basetsb, lordmarcovan, JWP, Coin hunter 4, COINS MAKE CENTS, PerryHall, Aspie_Rocco, Braddick, DBSTrader2, SanctionII, Histman, The_Dinosaur_Man, jesbroken, CentSearcher ------ANA Member #3214817

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had the seller weigh: just over 19 grams. He'll be removing the listing when he gets access to his computer again (I assume he's at work).
    bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

Agree, and I have purchased a few good deals from zero and low feedback sellers over the years

• Options

@WilliamF said:

@MFeld said:

Perhaps for someone who doesn't know the series it would be wise to study the coin first and these other red flags would be secondary, but for me personally the coin itself doesn't even need scrutinizing, there's no need to even look twice, it's so bad...
    I guess it just depends on how you look at it, but different things are important to different people :)

If you know the series/coins - and it sounds like you do - the other things don’t matter. And if you don’t know the series/coins, you shouldn’t be bidding, anyway, so the other things shouldn’t matter. Either way, it is (or should be) about the coin.😉

• Options

@MFeld said:

@WilliamF said:

@MFeld said:

If you know the series/coins - and it sounds like you do - the other things don’t matter. And if you don’t know the series/coins, you shouldn’t be bidding, anyway, so the other things shouldn’t matter. Either way, it is (or should be) about the coin.😉

I understand where you are coming from, one of the reasons it is very important to me to buy from a well-reputed person is because I've taken too many chances on low feedback/sales sellers and gotten burned, so I'm pretty wary of those sellers, on the other hand, everybody has to start somewhere! :)
    It's all a big juggling act :)

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

Reported.

• Options
    burfle23burfle23 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭✭✭

Listing is gone.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file