Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Question regarding old coins

Hello,
I'm new to the group and very inexperienced with regard to collectible coins.
Do you think there's collectible value in any of these older coins I have? Most were passed down to me from my dad.

Comments

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forum. You have a couple of interesting items there. Could you get better pics of the Eight Reale obv and rev and what ever the 1966 item is obv and rev.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

Based on the size, it's a 2 real, not 8.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 24, 2022 12:35PM

All coins have some interest to collectors of that material. Even if the coin is some filler they got at BV. Frankly many estates I buy are made up mostly of the type of material OP pictured. It all adds up.

I sell a lot of these coins (known in the trade as collector coins) at coin shows (photo above) that are $60 or less which is probably about what most coming in the show is all they can afford. Or they may buy it bc it’s their birth, anniversary year.

The OP 72 Ike possibly Unc. I usually get out my Coins mag price guide for price guidance, development.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    Athleticman89Athleticman89 Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited June 24, 2022 11:35AM

Thanks for the quick feedback. Here's the closer up photos you requested @jesbroken @TomB .

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jesbroken said:
    Welcome to the forum. You have a couple of interesting items there. Could you get better pics of the Eight Reale obv and rev and what ever the 1966 item is obv and rev.
    Jim

1966 Canada silver dollar. 80% silver

• Options
    TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 24, 2022 11:56AM

TomB was correct that it is a 2 reale from Mexico. It looks decent but low grade, and likely good condition, maybe slightly better. Best guess is that it is a $20 item-retail. Consider keeping it. It could the start of something great!

Tom

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the Forum! Love the 2R! Very cool coin. As others have already weighed in, it looks like you have a little bit of silver too. With the spot price of silver around $21/oz theres a little bit of bullion value there as well...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the 2R is a great coin! Think of all the history going on at that time! I second that it may be the start of a great collection!

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

A question: what do you want out of these? Do you want to monetize them? Do you want to choose some mementos to save as a memory of your father? Do you want to use this as a start of your own coin collection?

There is no wrong answer, but a lot of us assume everyone wants to collect coins and that this is an "instant" starter. It's not always the case and there is nothing wrong with not wanting to start a con collection.

• Options

Thank you all for the kind responses!
    @daltex great question, I’m thinking to let my grandson have them in a few years so he can use them as a starter collection!

• Options
    JWPJWP Posts: 18,298 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like some of the coins in my early collecting days. I've always loved the canadian coins. No matter what they are valued at, knowing your dad had them is worth more than anything else. I got some coins from My grandpa in tx as a kid. There was a 3 cent nickel in the little jar of coins, and it had a hole in it. I gave in my daughter and she wears it as a necklace. PRICELESS. I think of my Grandpa every time I see her wearing it. The memory of where the coin came from is worth a lot to me.

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,066 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cougar1978 said:

Have you checked the rev of this one?

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Athleticman89.... Welcome aboard. @TomB gave you an excellent assessment of your coins. Do you plan on collecting more? Or just looking to dispose? Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file