Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

My 'Modern Value' Negro Leagues submission graded in 22 business days...A sign of good things ahead?

GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,924 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 24, 2022 8:17AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Received on May 24th and graded on June 23rd.

Will probably ship today.

Now I applaud PCGS for the speedy service on my Modern Value submission, but not real happy with the grades.

Only one out of ten Negro Leagues Privy Silver $1's got a 70.

Four out of five non-privies got 70's.

Comments

• Options
    duck620duck620 Posts: 949 ✭✭✭

"WOW" now that's great service!

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Privy's seemed to have been handled more or some other quality control problem. I looked at mine and did not send them in as there were small scratches on them by the Liberty as if a machine touched them to put them in capsules or something.

• Options
    1madman1madman Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ouch

• Options

Just got an email from PCGS stating that the coins are shipping today.

No complaints whatsoever on their service on this submission.

Thank you.

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations buddy. Except the dang privy’s.
    Mine looks fabulous but I only have the one. Interesting they messed up another select, rare-ish, pricey special release 🤨🙀🦫

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    djmdjm Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did you send the Coin & Medal Set in opened or did PCGS screw you out of the attribution on the Proof Dollar from the set?

• Options

@djm said:
    Did you send the Coin & Medal Set in opened or did PCGS screw you out of the attribution on the Proof Dollar from the set?

No, I hastily opened the set by mistake not considering First Strike.

• Options
    1madman1madman Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Goldbully said:

@djm said:

Double ouch. You saw the coins before you submitted and they still basically all came back 69’s. Tuition.

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1madman said:

@Goldbully said:

@djm said:

Double ouch. You saw the coins before you submitted and they still basically all came back 69’s. Tuition.

Tuition maybe.
    As many a post has mentioned ( over years). Looks like a70 to me. Many a formite has mentioned how a graded 70 has a ding and a 69 looks fantastic.
    GB is not exactly an amateur or only handled a few coins. He’s actually quite well versed but human and perhaps prone to goofing up. 😉🙀🦫

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow... tough on the privy coins.... @Goldbully... Can you see what may have been the cause? And is it something common to each one? Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko said:
    Wow... tough on the privy coins.... @Goldbully... Can you see what may have been the cause? And is it something common to each one? Cheers, RickO

I'll let you know Monday when I have them in hand.

• Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭✭✭

My privy coins graded terrible too. I looked at all the ones I submitted and still got a large majority of 69’s, like you. Now I have to deal with the 70’s that are developing spots 😭

• Options
    edited June 27, 2022 2:18PM

Well, I got the coins back and all the 69 Privies look like 70's to me.

I'm sure the expert @1madman would have seen the difference between my one 70 and the nine 69's.

Tuition or intuition?

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭✭✭

A lot is required for PR70's. Scratches are relatively easy to see before submitting, but the other criteria are more difficult to judge without special lighting and magnification to easier see minor flaws like hairlines, or tiny hits. There is also a component of subjectivity, but graders see similar coins by the thousands and have some knowledge to determine which ones they felt stood out as exceptional to get a PR70.

Quoted from PCGS grading standards in the current August 2022 Rare Coin Market Report.

"Proofs:

For proof striking's, the primary attributes of grade are hairlines and/or marks (or lack of), reflectivity (for brilliant proofs), and eye appeal. Note that nearly all proofs are fully struck, thus strike is usually not a factor. Strike only comes into play when a proof shows a partial strike, resulting in a downward adjustment of grade. Note that for toned brilliant proofs, the reflectivity is as perceived under toning.

A PCGS PR70 shows no imperfections under 5 power magnification. Brilliant proofs must be 100% fully reflective."

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file