Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Complete Topps/OPC/Venezuelan Ernie Banks Run 1954-1971

Got the final card in recently to complete my 1954-1971 playing days Topps/OPC/Venezuelan Ernie Banks run. I've been working on it for a number of years and it feels great to finally complete it! I was being picky and tried for good eye appeal, with no creases. On the hard to find issues, that was quite challenging since they come up so few and far between. Not sure what I'm going to do now with all my free time, it had become quite the routine to check ebay multiple times a day or whenever I was bored over the years lol. I'll be getting the raw ones graded if PSA ever gets their act together with lower prices and more consistent vintage grading, but am willing to wait it out since they are just for the PC. There's one "Let's Play Two" buyback from Heritage in there. Not really actively picking those up, mostly because people want too much for them, but if one comes up at a good price I may. Haven't really decided how I feel about those yet.

1950's Topps

1960's Topps

1970's Topps

OPC

Venezuelan

Comments

• BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow - congrats on a great collection! It must have taken some time pulling those Vennies together.

Daniel
  • JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice run of Ernie Banks. Congrats. Nothing easy about finishing that run.

• Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭✭

Awesome job. What is your favorite card? Mine are those 56's. Just love 56's.

• CWUCAT62CWUCAT62 Posts: 91 ✭✭✭

Amazing run there of Banks! They are all incredible, nothing better than Vintage in my opinion. Congrats to you sir!

Andre Dawson Super Collector, who also collects the following-
    *Baseball* HOF autographs, Harold Baines, Pete Rose, Joe Morgan & Seattle Mariners
    *Football* Seattle Seahawks, Kenny Easley, Steve Largent, Jon Kitna, & Brian Bosworth
    YouTube Channel link; https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAyO141lGqcV2fEjt723jUQ
  • jayhawkejayhawke Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭

The 1960 and 1967 Venezuela Topps are extremely hard to find.

• brad31brad31 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow! That is incredible. Definitely something to be proud of, which was the card that completed the run for you?

• Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

Outstanding! Congratulations!

Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach
  • pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice! Congrats.

• RidethelightningRidethelightning Posts: 376 ✭✭✭

That is a most glorious collection !

• fmclaug11fmclaug11 Posts: 325 ✭✭✭

Awesome collection!

• swish54swish54 Posts: 687 ✭✭✭✭

@BaltimoreYankee said:
    Wow - congrats on a great collection! It must have taken some time pulling those Vennies together.

Yes it did! Surprisingly enough, the '71 OPC was just as hard to find as some of those Vennies. There weren't any graded ones on ebay for months and months (being a '71, I didn't want to self sub one), especially in my price range, then two in the past few weeks popped up. Missed one at auction and got this one with a BO to finish the run.

@Mickey71 said:
    Awesome job. What is your favorite card? Mine are those 56's. Just love 56's.

Hard to say! I really like the '55 Bowman and '57 Topps.

@jayhawke said:
    The 1960 and 1967 Venezuela Topps are extremely hard to find.

Yeah, the '67 was very $$, even in a "1!" That's one that I couldn't be too picky with, just tried for halfway decent eye appeal but when dealing with that rare of a card beggars can't be choosers!

@brad31 said:
    Wow! That is incredible. Definitely something to be proud of, which was the card that completed the run for you?

The '71 OPC was the last one! A couple of reasons...1 I didn't realize he was in that set for a long time which didn't help so I'm sure I missed a few, and 2 they're surprisingly hard to find as well for having a pop of about 40.

• @swish54 said:

Yeah, the '67 was very $$, even in a "1!" That's one that I couldn't be too picky with, just tried for halfway decent eye appeal but when dealing with that rare of a card beggars can't be choosers!

That is the one card in my Ernie Banks Topps/OPC/Venezuelan collection that could use an upgrade but I'm not sweating it, a nice one with no back damage would more than likely go for over a $1000. I don't have a 1959 or 1962 Bazooka Ernie Banks to complete my collection.

• jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭

Just an awesome collection.
    Not easy cards to find.

Ernie was one of my all-time fav players. Good choice for a player run.

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,226 ✭✭✭✭✭

Spectacular stuff, @swish54

Really well done!

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• GreenSneakersGreenSneakers Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭

Sometimes I look at someone’s collection and think:

“That was a %#*!ing commitment.”

Nice

@GreenSneakers said:
    Sometimes I look at someone’s collection and think:

“That was a %#*!ing commitment.”

Nice

Thank you, I appreciate the compliment!