Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Anyone heard of or seen a 1984 D/D lincoln

DannybeDannybe Posts: 49
edited June 20, 2022 9:12PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Comments

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are comprehensive listings of RPMs at the following sites. If it's not an exact mstch, you don't have it

https://www.doubleddie.com/307764.html

http://varietyvista.com/

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options
    rokkyrokky Posts: 308 ✭✭✭✭

Just looks like an anomaly to me.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a stain.... and no listed RPM's are even close to those images - which are very good. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think what you're looking at is called a pareidolia.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    DallifeDallife Posts: 71 ✭✭

Question.. I know that since those were hand punched, any coin within those years can have a RPM. But why do they have to match exactly when it's a human error and not machine so there could be any variations?
    I'm just trying to understand the reason because that looks so much like a D, it would have gotten me too

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Dallife said:
    Question.. I know that since those were hand punched, any coin within those years can have a RPM. But why do they have to match exactly when it's a human error and not machine so there could be any variations?
    I'm just trying to understand the reason because that looks so much like a D, it would have gotten me too

Each RPM is unique to an individual die, so it should match a known example exactly. All coins struck by that die should have the same characteristics

It's possible to find a new RPM, but there are so many things like mechanical doubling, die deterioration, or damage that can confound a new collector, you really need to be knowledgeable of the minting and die making processes to have Any kind of success.

Member of the ANA since 1982

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file