Home U.S. Coin Forum

PCGS lead time is a joke!

Herb_THerb_T Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭✭✭

They have had my World submission since January 18th, 100 days…

Comments

• 1madman1madman Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭✭✭

Would be interesting if anyone who thinks the pcgs grading process is taking too long to call customer service and request that pcgs mail their order of ungraded coins directly to NGC (or another grading company) due to the delays.

NGC is at ~5-10 day grading turnaround time right now once the coins are received in their system.

Not sure if this would raise any eyebrows at pcgs, and not sure if any members have the guts to use the competition’s plastic?

• WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,758 ✭✭✭✭✭

Actually - Economy has gone down from 70 days....just saying.

WS

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • MyWorldCoinTypeSetMyWorldCoinTypeSet Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭

As stated in the image you provided ...
    The turnaround times stated above are the previous week's average for each service level indicated

So, it's an average, and for submissions that have completed. Any particular submission can be at the average time, below the average time, or beyond the average time. And, submissions in progress are not counted until they finish.

• ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,447 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah it's not great, particularly for dealers who have inventory(read: potentially lots of money) tied up for a long time.
    Have you called them to see what the hold up is on your order?

Collector, occasional seller

• logger7logger7 Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 21, 2022 8:19AM

I'm sure if they could they would expedite all the orders. It's the problem of finding screened, knowledgeable workers in their city and following all the protocols. It only gets worse with the backlog.

NGC economy is taking a long time; standard and gold are a lot faster: https://www.ngccoin.com/submit/services-fees/ngc/

• privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FrankH said:

@logger7 said:
    I'm sure if they could they would expedite all the orders. It's the problem of finding screened, knowledgeable workers in their city and following all the protocols. It only gets worse with the backlog.

My hat's off to anyone who could stand to look at Silver Eagles and state quarters all day, every day. :s

Makes me want to send in a few thousand. :D

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good coins to the front, bullion and moderns to the back. I would be happy with that.

• habaracahabaraca Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭✭✭

anyone here really think they care????

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,541 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Smudge said:
    Good coins to the front, bullion and moderns to the back. I would be happy with that.

You could just pay express to get to the front of the line.

• @habaraca said:

Nope

• silverbulsilverbul Posts: 139 ✭✭✭

BOO HOO. go to another grading service.

• MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 21, 2022 5:58PM

I'm sure PCGS cares but as long as people keep sending coins in for grading, they're saying they're okay with the wait.

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,934 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not defending the time it takes, but when my coins had been there for 104 days and I called I was politely told to deduct 2/7 of the days as the weekend days do not count only business days less any holidays. So a 100 day period would be 71.5 business days. Just sayin.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jesbroken said:
    I'm not defending the time it takes, but when my coins had been there for 104 days and I called I was politely told to deduct 2/7 of the days as the weekend days do not count only business days less any holidays. So a 100 day period would be 71.5 business days. Just sayin.
    Jim

If we are counting from January 18th (which the original poster mentioned), it's 106 business days (if we include that first day, exclude all weekends, and exclude the 4 holidays in that period). The period covers 154 calendar days. By PCGS count, it would be less than 106 business days since they exclude days they are at shows (I'm not sure exactly how many fall into this period).

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,934 ✭✭✭✭✭

My bad, I just read 100 days, didn't notice the January 18 date, which is odd as my submission was on January 17th and it arrived back to me on April 22. The time frame for the coin grading has been about the same for my last 3 submissions, so I became used to it, but the TV's are another story. I have never had anyone explain to me why when the photos are taken before encapsulation that the TV's couldn't be ready even before return shipment. Seems to me their is either a systems design lag or manpower mismanagement. A keystroke shouldn't hold up photos. JMO
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • skier07skier07 Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 21, 2022 6:21PM

@habaraca said:

YES

They’re presumably doing the best they can under difficult circumstances.

• BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

@privatecoin said:

@FrankH said:

@logger7 said:

My hat's off to anyone who could stand to look at Silver Eagles and state quarters all day, every day. :s

How about 125,000?

theknowitalltroll;
  • Herb_THerb_T Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@Smudge said:

You could just pay express to get to the front of the line.

I have done that. Last one was received in 3/11 and shipped out 5/2, 60 work days….not much better.

• FrankHFrankH Posts: 945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 22, 2022 7:53AM

Those look RARE !!!!

• FrankHFrankH Posts: 945 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BAJJERFAN said:

@privatecoin said:

@FrankH said:

@logger7 said:

How about 125,000?

Hard to imagine that some "rare" dates that many seek WERE actually minted in that quantity.

:/

• MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭✭✭

Break time is over!

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • logger7logger7 Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are many of these service jobs that are very stressful, many of us have worked them; the company can only pay so much per hour and the workers have to find affordable housing which is very tight in southern CA. Without waves of immigrants the service economy would not be viable with the economic constraints businesses operate with.

• BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FrankH said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

@privatecoin said:

@FrankH said:

@logger7 said:

How about 125,000?

Hard to imagine that some "rare" dates that many seek WERE actually minted in that quantity.

:/

One can see at least 5 pallets with I think 25K on a pallet. Not sure how many presses are producing these, but IIRC they can get about 100K of coins from a set of dies. These are I believe from 2014, not a notable year for errors from what I recall. I expect that this was a submission from an AP like APMEX which was drop shipped from the mint. It had the potential to be a million dollar deal depending upon how many 69s and 70s were obtained if bulk price was $8 per coin back then.

theknowitalltroll;
  • raysrays Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just yesterday received a regular service (US), and last week an economy service, both received by PCGS March 9.
    No upgrades on the regular regrade service, and it cost over $300 for 7 coins, so not so delighted on that submission. :/

• @silverbul said:
    BOO HOO. go to another grading service.

I did.

• BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 12,081 ✭✭✭✭✭

NGC ain't much better... I have an unlimited walk through in which was supposed to be 1 day. Reality is wait 1-2 days for them to get the coin from the PO, 2 days to enter it, 2 days to grade it, 2 weeks to ship it.

PCGS to their credit enters coins in faster and ships coins faster. All of those times pre and post grading aren't factored into the NGC times.

• MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭✭✭

How about this one?

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • UpGrayeddUpGrayedd Posts: 573 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MilesWaits said:
    How about this one?

I suppose it would be fine if you don't care anything about accuracy or resale value...

Philippians 4:4-7

• LuxorLuxor Posts: 459 ✭✭✭✭✭

<<< They have had my World submission since January 18th, 100 days… >>>

I'll bet it won't take them 100 days to hit your credit card or cash your check. Probably no log jam in that end of their business.

Your hobby is supposed to be your therapy, not the reason you need it.

• clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭✭✭

Got express grades yesterday, 5 business days! (6/15 received date)

Wasn’t expecting them that fast.

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

Your post is wholly off topic and inappropriate for this thread! After all, it's for those who want to complain, not express satisfaction. ;)

Ha! I admit to having done my fair share of the former.

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file