Home U.S. Coin Forum

SS Central America shipwreck coin

YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭✭✭

I recently acquired an 1857-S SS Central America $20. There is no certification number of the label.
Why was a number not given? What is the story there?

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.

Comments

• FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anything on the reverse under the hologram?

Coin Photographer.

• Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is it on the reverse?

• FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just found this thread:
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1049481/answered-how-do-you-determine-cert-for-ss-central-america-gold-label-coins

Looks like you have to contact PCGS and they'll give it to you.

Coin Photographer.

• pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I see many other SS Central America coins with no cert number being sold by reputable dealers.

The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks, folks!
    I sent an email to PCGS asking for the number.

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

From another thread on the subject...

"Just got off the phone with PCGS. You have to call or email them the SSCA number and they will then provide you the certification number via their SSCA database. The representative was not aware of any means for the public to access the database to look the Certs up on their own without the assistance of PCGS. Hope this helps for future reference."

The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • LJenkins11LJenkins11 Posts: 753 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have one as well. Just contact PCGS and they will inform you of your serial number. I emailed them front and back photos of the full slab and they were prompt in replying with the serial number. You have a nice-looking coin.

• erwindocerwindoc Posts: 5,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a great looking coin and Id like to have one in the future!

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

No environmental damage is a gift. Nice acquisition. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun, MichaelDixon, NickPatton, ProfLiz, Twobitcollector,Jesbroken

• YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is for sale on BST, by the way.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file