Home Precious Metals
Options

“Received order” Silver rounds from Walmart?

PppPpp Posts: 467 ✭✭✭✭
edited June 25, 2022 3:26AM in Precious Metals

I would like some opinions on what I find to be very interesting.

An acquaintance keeps telling me he buys his buffalo silver rounds on Walmart. Walmart? The rounds are shipped from apmex and are slightly above $500- per tube (approximately $25- ea.). Note, price is the same if paid by cc and free shipping.

He showed me a roll which I conducted diagnostics (weight, magnet, sigma)and they passed as silver. Only thing I didn’t like was they were very shiny unlike normal generic silver rounds.

This price is lower than all on-line big boys (even apmex where these rounds are coming from) and close to some wholesalers.

Am I missing something here?
I ended up buying a couple of tubes to start.

————
Description from website:

Product details

The 1 oz Silver Buffalo Round pays tribute to America’s native tribes and the majestic once endangered buffalo. James Earle Fraser’s design for the 1913 Buffalo Nickel has inspired both images featured on this round. Mintmark and designs may vary.

• Photos in this listing may or may not be stock photos. The photos are meant to be an indication of the product you will receive.
  • Round Highlights: Contains 1 oz of .999 fine Silver.
  • Individual rounds come in protective packaging.
  • Multiples of 20 come in plastic tubes and boxes contain multiples of 500.
  • The design of these rounds is based on the original coin issued by the US Mint.
  • These rounds carry no actual face value.
  • Obverse: Depicts a Native American with the motto "LIBERTY" on top right.
  • Reverse: Black Diamond an American bison (buffalo) atop a mound of dirt.

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sixteen percent premium on pure silver.... Not coins. If just interested in silver, seems like a fast buy of good product. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭✭✭

Walmart in the bullion business? Just when you thought you'd seen it all...

• Options
    WilliamFWilliamF Posts: 832 ✭✭✭✭✭

He's correct, walmart is partnered with several different bullion distributors including APMEX, US Mint, Highland Mint and even the Canadian Mint, you can buy quite a few different silver products on walmart.com and the orders are fulfilled by the different bullion distributors, I can't say for sure that they're all authentic obviously but it appears to be legit to me...

."It's a dangerous business... going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to" -JRR Tolkien_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________Outstanding BST transactions as a seller, buyer and trader with: ----- mustanggt, Kliao, claudewill87, MWallace, paesan, mpbuck82, moursund, basetsb, lordmarcovan, JWP, Coin hunter 4, COINS MAKE CENTS, PerryHall, Aspie_Rocco, Braddick, DBSTrader2, SanctionII, Histman, The_Dinosaur_Man, jesbroken, CentSearcher ------ANA Member #3214817

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

every one wants in on it, i wish them well

• Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is this a new/recent thing? I certainly don't mind seeing new buyers of physical getting into the mix. Walmart has a lot of consumer reach.

• Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

A while back there was a thread re WM, and they had a vender overseas selling through the WM website selling bad product. Beware.

If they're overly shiney, they've probably been cleaned or polished. If can't tell, you'll find out when you sell them.

Have a nice day
  • Options

The guy who told me has been buying from Walmart for some time. To me only these silver rounds were a good deal everything else you can get elsewhere.

I am still suspicious even thou Walmart states the tubes are coming from apmex. They even show a tube with apmex name.
    From Walmarts site:
    “Sold and shipped by APMEX, Inc. | APMEX, Inc.”

I suppose to get the tubes this Thursday. Upon receipt I will post pictures.

• Options
    MetroDMetroD Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Ppp

Thanks for sharing this info. :)

Had to call APMEX today on another matter, so I asked about these rounds. The rep I spoke with:
    ~ could not verify a specific WalMart item #, but did confirm that APMEX sells some items through WalMart;
    ~ was not surprised that the WalMart price on these rounds was lower than the APMEX-direct price. Apparently, this situation can, and does, happen.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 21, 2022 4:35PM

Walmart.com has a lot of other/outside venders that sell all kinds of products, just like Amazon does.

• Options
    ike126ike126 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭✭✭

These have been verified on Reddit recently completely legit no worries at all ask the group wallstreetsilver

• Options

Sorry, for the picture delay. Finally received the order.
    Coins passed diagnostics. I am still shaking my head that I bought these apmex buffalo rounds from Walmart. Walmart.😵‍💫

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

Walmart.com has been selling all kinds of coins for years (via other suppliers). You simply completed the purchase through their site, Walmart never touched the coins. You can buy double eagles, european gold francs (and tens of millions of other products) via walmart.com. RGDS.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options

Blitzdude you are correct.
    I just feel really silly I never knew that Walmart was doing this, and they are actually are less expensive in some (like this purchase) cases than what I was paying.
    Even at my advanced age there is something I can always learn. I posted this for comments and hopefully to let others, like me, know of this other potential option in case they didn’t know.
    🙂

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Ppp said:
    Blitzdude you are correct.
    I just feel really silly I never knew that Walmart was doing this, and they are actually are less expensive in some (like this purchase) cases than what I was paying.
    Even at my advanced age there is something I can always learn. I posted this for comments and hopefully to let others, like me, know of this other potential option in case they didn’t know.
    🙂

Yep, not coin related but I recently did a brake job on my wifes vehicle. New rotors, calipers and pads. I found what I wanted online and then decided to check walmart.com. Got the exact same parts that I was about to buy directly from the manufacturer for right at 10% less plus free shipping. Go figure. RGDS!

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.