Home Precious Metals
Options

I want to buy something.

I'm going to buy a 10 oz bar of silver tomorrow. Who is with me? How much should I pay? Remember I support local dealers and don't mind paying to help support a local retail business. They just better tip me when I serve them. And Alabama dropped bullion taxes.
Roll Tide

Comments

• Options
    doubleeagle07doubleeagle07 Posts: 398 ✭✭✭

Really depends on the type of bar your getting. Generic silver bars usually are cheaper. Theirs a big spread these days on silver bars, typically $4-$5/oz over spot. Don't let them charge you more than that unless its vintage silver. Gl.

Successful transactions with: AnonMan, Commoncents05, JJM, PerryHall, Danielp, greenwr, Along, Herb_T, Downtown1974, masscrew, coinnerd, liefgold, JWP, Relaxn, Pnies20, Weiss, Type2, dm679864, pointfivezero, and more!

• Options
    GulfRastaGulfRasta Posts: 150 ✭✭✭
    edited June 18, 2022 12:15AM

@doubleeagle07 OK. It's generic. What are we talking? How much should I pay at the most? Out the door. No sales taxes.
    $280? $270?
    He also offered a roll of Morgans $750 but I could get so taken advantage of.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Precious Metals Forum has a BST thread. Have you tried there?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    edited June 18, 2022 2:55AM

@PerryHall That's awesome. What's a BST? Pretend I'm sort of new to much of this. Buy sell trade. Ok.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GulfRasta ... There are silver bars offered on this forum as well as the full BST forum. My recommendation is to buy from trusted, established sources. That being said, there are many members here that sell and have impeccable records/vouches. Just do a bit of research. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    edited June 18, 2022 6:00AM

@ricko I trust my local dealer. I just wanted to know would you pay $280 for 10 oz generic? It's also with the idea I want to shop at least 1/2 of my business that way or try to anyhow.
    I like my local people and am willing to pay say +10% for the privilege.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GulfRasta .... Buying local is usually a good idea. Forms relationships and builds trust. I am not a 'bar' buyer/collector, I stick with coins. At the current melt price, that premium 'seems' a bit high IMO. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 18, 2022 7:46AM

Bullion exchanges has been a very reliable, cheapest source for me. Promptly received an order yesterday.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options

@derryb I'm going to offer $250. Settle on $260.
    I don't have to get the best price everytime.
    I leave extra tips when I eat out and just rarely eat out. I don't waste all day buying a car.
    I won't pay fees, shipping, or tax.
    I like the idea he's convenient and close. I've already given my Canadian gold away to my 2nd cousin that just got married.
    Money doesn't drive me here. The history does. I made $500 last night in tips in 7 hours.
    They don't pay in coins or even currency much anymore. To be able to use cash though if I get some. I'll report it all to the IRS as required. We all do that of course. I just choose to seek the best choice path.

• Options

I just got conned but it was a mild con so I'm not mad at all. I'm pleased.
    I go to the Foley Coin Shop and I want a 10 oz bar. He's all like maybe buy 10 1 oz instead. I'll sell you my last half a roll for $250. I just got wiped out.
    Here they are.
    He had more. I know he did.
    I'm eventually sending his kids to college. I just know it.

• Options
    djmdjm Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭✭

How did you get conned? Are they silver rounds fake? If you were willing to pay 270 or 280 for a 10-ounce bar, 250 for 10 1-ounce rounds seems to be a better deal.

• Options

No. I was soft conned. I was talked into it. It is a better deal but he talked me into it.

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GulfRasta said:
    I just wanted to know would you pay $280 for 10 oz generic?

Only if I was on a 28 day crack bender and I hadn't seen an ounce of shinny for 25 years. Slap yourself man..............$180 for a generic 10ozt is much closer to reality than $280.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options

" MONEX Live Silver Spot Prices
    Silver Spot Prices Today Change
    Silver Prices Per Ounce $21.88 +0.19 "
    ???

• Options
    taxmadtaxmad Posts: 960 ✭✭✭✭

@GulfRasta said:
    " MONEX Live Silver Spot Prices
    Silver Spot Prices Today Change
    Silver Prices Per Ounce $21.88 +0.19 "
    ???

Ignore blitzed - he is the resident troll. You got a good buy and a better form to start stacking

• Options
    doubleeagle07doubleeagle07 Posts: 398 ✭✭✭

@GulfRasta said:
    I just got conned but it was a mild con so I'm not mad at all. I'm pleased.
    I go to the Foley Coin Shop and I want a 10 oz bar. He's all like maybe buy 10 1 oz instead. I'll sell you my last half a roll for $250. I just got wiped out.
    Here they are.
    He had more. I know he did.
    I'm eventually sending his kids to college. I just know it.

Generic rounds are usually cheaper than generic bars. You got a good deal. Got a couple vintage silver bars for sale if you ever are looking for that.

Successful transactions with: AnonMan, Commoncents05, JJM, PerryHall, Danielp, greenwr, Along, Herb_T, Downtown1974, masscrew, coinnerd, liefgold, JWP, Relaxn, Pnies20, Weiss, Type2, dm679864, pointfivezero, and more!

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

You have a fair dealer and less than $3.50 over spot, per oz. isn’t going to send his kids to college any time soon.

• Options

@TwoSides2aCoin I'm getting visions. That's not ordinary.
    Look at what was on my back steps. No explanation. It's getting strange.
    Birth year dime. Did a kid leave it? Going to the coin store and the Hoodoo lady.

• Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 26, 2022 11:36PM

People spend $280 buying cocktails at a fancy bar…I know I have. Buying silver is just locking up that money so you don’t spend it foolishly at a bar.