Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Good time to buy ?

How are auction prices in your neck of the woods ?

Comments

• Options
    80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very early into an overall asset correction. RE is just starting to crumple, equities are
    mid correction. Rates still have 2-3% points to go. Q1 was negative GDP and Q2 is trending 0 growth so good chance a recession is announced in July.

Don’t follow auction prices but track same store sales and the overall economy and what comes next is just getting going. I am keeping my powder dry, next spring/ summer IMO is when we see some real action.

• Options
    GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m guessing December 2022 will be a good time to buy stocks.

I’ve been buying more cards now and will continue to. Prices are good.

If you’ve got cash you’re in a good place now.

• Options

@80sOPC said:
    I’ve been buying equities the past 2 months. Not concerned about finding absolute bottom when you can get good companies at a 30%+ discount. I agree there is more pain to come but my horizon is 20+ years.

Not a card “investor” so just buy when I want something and it is in line with recent comps. Am tracking some cards like OPC Lemieux PSA 9, Gretz #250 9, 79 Gretz in 6 and all are way off ATH’s . I am expecting another 15-30% down.

Have been following the Lemieux OPC PSA 9s and they have come down hard since the peak and I’m always looking to grab nice eye appeal Lemieux’s if the price is right.

• Options
    CardGeekCardGeek Posts: 404 ✭✭✭
    edited June 18, 2022 10:48AM

As if the numbers were real.

• Options
    rcmb3220rcmb3220 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭✭

The good stuff doesn’t seem to be going down much

• Options

Gretzky, DrJ, Jordan rooks aren’t the good stuff?

@rcmb3220 said:
    The good stuff doesn’t seem to be going down much

• Options

Nice buy on the Pujols, more then 50% off peak. Hard to think that wouldn’t be considered the good stuff.

Interesting that it was a 1k card in 2018 so may have more room to fall.

That is my bet with the overall market, that there is a lot of room to run down generally, with of course variance in individual cards. I’m surprised by how many folks don’t even realize what is happening, a few times I’ve had to point out that very high profile/high demand cards are getting hammered. We haven’t reached the fear stage yet. I suspect the supply side will continue to increase while demand disappears.

• Options
    1948_Swell_Robinson1948_Swell_Robinson Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭✭

@80sOPC said:
    I’ve been buying equities the past 2 months. Not concerned about finding absolute bottom when you can get good companies at a 30%+ discount. I agree there is more pain to come but my horizon is 20+ years.

Not a card “investor” so just buy when I want something and it is in line with recent comps. Am tracking some cards like OPC Lemieux PSA 9, Gretz #250 9, 79 Gretz in 6 and all are way off ATH’s . I am expecting another 15-30% down.

Agree. Lots of great companies cheap lately. Nobody should beat themselves up if they miss the absolute bottom. It is impossible to predict absolute bottom. In ten years you will be happy with the results.

• Options
    82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1948_Swell_Robinson said:

@80sOPC said:

Agree. Lots of great companies cheap lately. Nobody should beat themselves up if they miss the absolute bottom. It is impossible to predict absolute bottom. In ten years you will be happy with the results.

Except for rare outliers folk who try to predict and buy the bottom are the same that failed to predict and sell at the top.

Unless otherwise specified my posts represent only my opinion, not fact.

• Options
    GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭

The pop count on the Traded Pujols Retrofractor is 56 in PSA 9 and only 5 in PSA 10. There's absolutely a chance for this card to go down another 10-20%, and I would be happy to buy another copy. There's 2 on ebay at this time with a BIN/best offer of 9500 and 22999. Holding this card until his HOF announcement. Slam dunk 1st ballot HOFer.

• Options
    ScoobyDoo2ScoobyDoo2 Posts: 839 ✭✭✭✭✭

not to buy gas....

• Options
    UFFDAHUFFDAH Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ScoobyDoo2 -
    Or food, clothes, hardware, lumber, equipment, beer, soda, baby formula, or practically anything else that matters to this country and all Americans. But hey, no more mean tweats.....weather the storm and enjoy your cards to forget about the $hit $how.

• Options
    RidethelightningRidethelightning Posts: 390 ✭✭✭

What actually did happen back in Jan 2021 to start all this. I don't watch the news or anything so don't know for sure.

• Options
    UFFDAHUFFDAH Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Ridethelightning - the Dream Team rolled into town. Many records to be broken. Grab your cards and your nearest dearest and cherish them. :D

• Options
    WillymacWillymac Posts: 204 ✭✭✭
    edited June 19, 2022 3:39PM

What price was a pack of cards in the 70’s and what is it now? Up and down, but still in an uptrend. And I think we under appreciate some of these low pop 80’s and 90’s inserts as I think they will end up being like the prices we are seeing on the psa 9 and 10 from the 60’s and 70’s in the next 10 years

• Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

@UFFDAH said:

"weather the storm and enjoy your cards to forget about the $hit $how"
    hey UFFDAH, That's sounds perfect!... :)

And any day is always a good day to buy cards -- It's like a blast of positive energy... :)