Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

197Z? Philly Dime? One of the more interesting coins I have in my collection

I was curious if anyone has seen a 1972 dime like this before, and is it worth getting graded etc. Thanks in Advance for any input. I can't figure out how to post my pics of the coin....the date looks like it's 197Z, I think it's a angled 7 over a 2. I have pics if I can figure out how to post them.

Comments

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

Howdy and welcome.

It appears you are a new member of the forum and, as such, you can't do the same things that more established members can do. One of your limited permissions is to post images. You might be classified as "applicant" before "member" and this might take a few days before you can do certain things.

From your description, the coin almost certainly has post-mint damage (PMD) where the date received a good whack from something and appears to be altered. However, until we get images we don't know for certain. Be patient and realize that many folks who post on this forum actually know what they are writing about while some have no idea or are active trolls. It is in your best interests to determine who falls into what pool.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options

Thanks! That does clear up a lot. It's actually not PMD, that was my first thought as well. This dime is .20g under weight as well. My collection was inherited from my aunt who worked in both Philly and San Fran mints, most of my error coins are beyond odd.

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe I can help you. Stby..........

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options

@Nate5510 said:
    My collection was inherited from my aunt who worked in both Philly and San Fran mints, most of my error coins are beyond odd.

Really? This could get interesting for sure!!

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    edited June 12, 2022 10:00PM

Here's a picture of the coin Nate is talking about. More to follow. It looks like @TomB was right, PMD. Looks like the top of the 2 took a hit and now looks like a Z. Sorry.

I was hoping for something good from your Aunt that worked at the mints. Oh well..

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you to @OAKSTAR for putting the image up and to @Nate5510 for providing such a clear image. Unfortunately, that most definitely appears to be PMD on a heavily circulated and somewhat oxidized dime.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options

Here are the others...

• Options

Really? I dont know why I have it then lol...thank you all for the help.

• Options

Hey- I gotta hit the rack. It's getting late. Talk to you guys tomorrow.

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep, post mint damage ;)

• Options

:'( bummer lol they all can't be winners I guess 🤣😂

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

Obvious post mint damage. This "error" nonsense is really getting out of control.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

Well, that was disappointing. What else did you inherit from your Aunt?.... I'm afraid to ask.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,997 ✭✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said:
    Obvious post mint damage. This "error" nonsense is really getting out of control.

The alternative is that nobody gives a damn about coins. So. Take the good with the bad...

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Nate5510.... Welcome aboard. I agree with the PMD conclusion. Look forward to seeing some of the other coins from your Aunt. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OAKSTAR said:
    Well, that was disappointing. What else did you inherit from your Aunt?.... I'm afraid to ask.

If this dime is "one of the more interesting coins" do we need to see the others.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 13, 2022 11:34AM

Not to pile on but I agree with the PMD consensus. Your dime looks to have spent time in the ground and has environmental damage along with the damage to the mintmark.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file