Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

1958 Topps Baseball All Stars

The 58 All Stars have sentimental value to me and I'm looking to start collecting them. What's the opinion of this forum of this complete set on eBay? Is the pricing good, bad or terrible? What gotchas with these cards?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/384806985046?hash=item5998489d56:g:5AoAAOSwoFViRF78

Tagged:

Comments

• pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭✭✭

Be prepared to pay. Especially if you are looking to collect in the PSA 8 or better range. Unfortunately, those all-star cards were affordable a few years ago and have now skyrocketed. I would try to get the higher end ones (hall of fame cards such as Mantle, etc.) first. Good luck on your quest.

• balco758balco758 Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 13, 2022 5:59AM

It is a great run of cards and a fun project. I went the PSA 5 route but haven't finished it yet. lol.

Here is an example of the Mantle.

• jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really like the All Star sets. I had the 58 AS set in PSA 8 or higher but sold it a couple years ago. The eBay set is way over priced. It is worth $1400-1500 according to Vintage Card Prices, VCP. The link below is the set I had.

https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/baseball/key-card-sets/1958-topps-all-stars/alltimeset/263093

• Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some triple prints and large print runs in general may cause this subset to cool off a bit, except for the Mantle.

I do agree in the last 5 years this subset has taken off. The Mantle was a $100 card in NM for a long time.

Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • olb31olb31 Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭✭✭

i have a beckett 7.5 perfect centering (Mantle).

Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm still trying to get the Mays to complete the set in PSA 8. But lately the auctions end way out of my price range. Thank God I bought the Mantle years ago for $300.

• 19591959 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭

the All-star cards were in packs throughout each series. They were not just issued just in the last series. At the time were not considered important compared to the player card. Thus were not taken care of as much or collected and kept as much. Thus , really nice 8's and 9's are really pretty scarce.

• secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 15, 2022 7:18AM

I still have a Willie Mays All Star to grade that he signed so I thought I would share it in the thread.

What are my chances of landing the highest pop on this one? B)

• brad31brad31 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 15, 2022 11:27AM

@1959 said:
    the All-star cards were in packs throughout each series. They were not just issued just in the last series. At the time were not considered important compared to the player card. Thus were not taken care of as much or collected and kept as much. Thus , really nice 8's and 9's are really pretty scarce.

Do you have a source for this? Everything I have read on the set including PSA’s write-up on 1958 Topps indicate the All Stars were issued in last series.

https://www.psacard.com/articles/articleview/4478/infusion-color-look-1958-topps-baseball-card-set

https://www.sportscollectorsdaily.com/stans-back-teds-leaving-collecting-the-landmark-1958-topps-all-star-cards/

As for printing - both Mantle and Musial are triple printed - the remaining are no more plentiful than others in the last series. Many of the cards - particularly the NL have white print dots that make them tough cards.

Brad. thanks for your question. I will do my research and try to back up my statement. Until then, I will go by the 2 articles you sent. I know I read that somewhere( They were in in every series) , but not sure where. Mabe someone reading this will have more info. Williams last Topps card and Musials first. It might be the only set that each are in.???

• 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1959 said:
    Brad. thanks for your question. I will do my research and try to back up my statement. Until then, I will go by the 2 articles you sent. I know I read that somewhere( They were in in every series) , but not sure where. Mabe someone reading this will have more info. Williams last Topps card and Musials first. It might be the only set that each are in.???

I believe that’s correct about Williams and Musial.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• 53BKid53BKid Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭

The Mantle and Musial are definitely a triple printed cards from what I recall seeing uncut sheets at the National many years ago.

What kind of budget and grade range are you planning on?

Have fun collecting it; great subset!

HAPPY COLLECTING!!!

"The Ultimate Insiders guide to Baseball cards " by Mark Stewart page 70 says. "be aware that the All-Star cards are not considered high numbers , even though they fall at the end of the set. They were issued all year long , and there seems to be three or four Mantle and Musial cards for every other all - star."

• MantleMarisFordBerraMantleMarisFordBerra Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭

I absolutely LOVE the design of the 58 All Stars, and the player selection is second to none. I have all the Yankees. As mentioned previously this subset contains the first ever Topps Musial card along with the last ever Topps Teddy Ballgame card. The fact Mantle & Musial are triple printed keeps the prices (somewhat) in reach.

Good luck on your quest jcalifornia!

• CakesCakes Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MantleMarisFordBerra said:
    I absolutely LOVE the design of the 58 All Stars, and the player selection is second to none. I have all the Yankees. As mentioned previously this subset contains the first ever Topps Musial card along with the last ever Topps Teddy Ballgame card. The fact Mantle & Musial are triple printed keeps the prices (somewhat) in reach.

I agree about the 58 All Star cards. I also really like the 58 base cards but hell anything is better than the 57, which was easily the worst set design of that era.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • I don't think this is arcuate. I appreciate you taking the time to source the claim, however I don't think it's true. I base this on the fact several of the All Star cards reference events occurring during the '58 season. Perhaps most telling is the back of Bob Turley's card #493. It states, "Although he had a fine year in '57, he's bent on surpassing it in '58. During the first two months of the season he won 10 games - all complete jobs - including 4 shutouts."

To me that settles the issue, but if someone feels differently I'm all ears.

Regarding the question > @1959 said:

"The Ultimate Insiders guide to Baseball cards " by Mark Stewart page 70 says. "be aware that the All-Star cards are not considered high numbers , even though they fall at the end of the set. They were issued all year long , and there seems to be three or four Mantle and Musial cards for every other all - star."

• I hear ya on the '57 set design. I respect that set for being the standard for the modern sports card with its size and actual photos. However the color scheme is dark, and I find I strongly prefer the bright and vibrant colors of most of the other 50's Topps issues.

@Cakes said:

@MantleMarisFordBerra said:

I agree about the 58 All Star cards. I also really like the 58 base cards but hell anything is better than the 57, which was easily the worst set design of that era.

Mantle, maris berra, ford. I did not start collecting cards until 1959, so I'm going with you on this one. Mabe Topps flooded their last series with All-Star cards. Williams last Topps card and Mantles 1st all-star card and of course, Musials' first Topps.