Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

# of Counterfeits submitted in 30 days

burfle23burfle23 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭✭✭

I looked up PCGS' current turnaround times and found these stats for a 30-day period.

I was surprised by the number of counterfeits (Code 90) seen in that period of time. I suppose you could look at it several ways!

One is it is a very low % to the total submitted.

But another possibly being a number of new Collectors being disappointed with their 1st submissions, and/or the number of bad pieces available for sale in various internet selling venues each month...

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting statistics. The amount of cleaned coins submitted certainly indicates a need for training in that area. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting stat, and thanks for posting.

But I’m really more puzzled by the low number of questionable color coins that were flagged, given that toning is all the rage right now and alleged “doctored” pieces abound.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's about 1 out of every 200 coins submitted- I'm quite surprised it's that high. my guess is around half the coins submitted are modern- likely not counterfeited.

Aren't most submitters able to ferret out the fakes? I realize there are some very deceptive counterfeits out there, but that many? Or are there a lot of obvious fakes being submitted?

I love them Barber Halves.....
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,942 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is the age of the "internet only" collector. Many of them are just what the sellers of counterfeit and cleaned coins want ... newbies who think they are getting a "good deal".

Just think of how much money is being scammed from these new collectors. I wonder how many of them drop out when they find out they have been taken.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@burfle23 said:

looking pretty good this month by this stat. ;)

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    Interesting statistics. The amount of cleaned coins submitted certainly indicates a need for training in that area. Cheers, RickO

You are correct.

I prefer to use a toothbrush to make mine more shiny.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,438 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder how many of those counterfeits later wind up on eBay. :D

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting stats. Never seen this before. A look at the stats also shows environmental damage at a pretty big number.
    https://www.pcgs.com/statistics

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options

WOW, went up...

• Options

@PerryHall said:

i've only received one coin back from pcgs as questionable authenticity. i not only listed it on ebay, i sold it there too!

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:

I am sure some 'rare' coins have been submitted that the submitter already knew were cleaned.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,942 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BuffaloIronTail said:

@ricko said:

You are correct.

I prefer to use a toothbrush to make mine more shiny.

Pete

Ink erasers work even better! >:)

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

It would be interesting to understand the "level" of deceptiveness the submitted counterfeits were!

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,952 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

@PerryHall said:

i've only received one coin back from pcgs as questionable authenticity. i not only listed it on ebay, i sold it there too!

Odd confession.

• Options
    edited June 11, 2022 7:42PM

@jmlanzaf said:
    Odd confession.

they said it was, i didn't agree and neither did the buyer. it was a 4 figure coin.

edited to add. oh happy day. found it in my archives.

• Options

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

@jmlanzaf said:
    Odd confession.

they said it was, i didn't agree and neither did the buyer. it was a 4 figure coin.

edited to add. oh happy day. found it in my archives.

Looks good to me. Did you ask PCGS why they refused to authenticate your coin?

• Options
    edited June 12, 2022 7:14AM

This one came back "unverifiable" from a friend; I resubmitted it with attribution images and it was slabbed- just did it as a point...

• Options

@burfle23 Did you have to pay twice before they got it right?

• Options
    Stingray63Stingray63 Posts: 299 ✭✭✭
    edited June 12, 2022 7:27AM

I would have thought those numbers would have been much higher.
    For just the cleaned coins that's basically between 3.25% -3.50%.

Pocket Change Inspector

• Options

@PerryHall said:
    Looks good to me. Did you ask PCGS why they refused to authenticate your coin?

nah. i enjoy selling raw coins as much as certified, no matter the value, although the more value, the more i do prefer to have them slabbed, at the very least, for their protection but it isn't required in my book. it was part of a really nice order so i just took the lump and moved on and sold it shortly after i got the order back. i figured attribution would have served it better but didn't want to tie up the whole order over this coin.

• Options
    ms71ms71 Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

Around half a percent. I would expect it to increase given the improved quality the counterfeiters are turning out.

Successful BST transactions: EagleEye, Christos, Proofmorgan,
    Coinlearner, Ahrensdad, Nolawyer, RG, coinlieutenant, Yorkshireman, lordmarcovan, Soldi, masscrew, JimTyler, Relaxn, jclovescoins

Now listen boy, I'm tryin' to teach you sumthin' . . . . that ain't an optical illusion, it only looks like an optical illusion.

My mind reader refuses to charge me....
  • Options
    badgerbadger Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭

What denomination or type were the most common of the counterfeits?

Collector of Modern Silver Proofs 1950-1964 -- PCGS Registry as Elite Cameo

Link to 1950 - 1964 Proof Registry Set
    1938 - 1964 Proof Jeffersons w/ Varieties
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,952 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Stingray63 said:
    I would have thought those numbers would have been much higher.
    For just the cleaned coins that's basically between 3.25% -3.50%.

There's a lot of moderns in there. Some months, they may do 75+% moderns if the Mint just released something.

• Options
    MarkW63MarkW63 Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭✭

@burfle23 said:
    I looked up PCGS' current turnaround times and found these stats for a 30-day period.

I was surprised by the number of counterfeits (Code 90) seen in that period of time. I suppose you could look at it several ways!

One is it is a very low % to the total submitted.

But another possibly being a number of new Collectors being disappointed with their 1st submissions, and/or the number of bad pieces available for sale in various internet selling venues each month...

Some people seems to have an obsession with cleaning Lincoln's :D
    Thanks for posting ;)

"I Prefer Dangerous Freedom Over Peaceful Slavery"
    Thomas Jefferson!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file