Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Help cutting uncut sheets

Anyone have suggestions or have a good source for cutting uncut sheets.

Positive transactions with: Bkritz,Bosox1976,Brick,captainthreeputt,cpettimd,craigger,cwazzy,DES1984,Dboneesq,daddymc,Downtown1974,EAsports,EagleEyeKid,fattymacs,gameusedhoop,godblessUSA,goose3,KatsCards,mike22y2k,
MULLINS5,1966CUDA,nam812,nightcrawler,OAKESY25,PowderedH2O,relaxed,RonBurgundy,samsgirl214,shagrotn77,swartz1,slantycouch,Statman,Wabittwax

Comments

• Options
    davin72davin72 Posts: 88 ✭✭✭

I have some I need to cut down too. I’ve talked to some guys that have done it to send cards to PSA and all have told me to buy a very good paper cutter and to do a lot of practicing before you ever cut them cause you only get one shot.

• Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭✭✭

@countdouglas said:
    Blasphemy!

hey countdouglas,
    Oh Yeah...those are cool... :)

• Options
    UlyssesExtravaganzaUlyssesExtravaganza Posts: 478 ✭✭✭✭

Which sheets would you want to cut? PSA won't grade hand-cut cards that were distributed as cards already cut and sold in packs. There are some where you do have that option. But for something like 1975 Topps I think the value stays in keeping it an uncut sheet. I am not sure about Beckett's stand these days. They did openly allow it while all the time kind of subtley trying to discourage it. So one day you get a BGS 9.5, another day a no grade because of a wavy edge or its too large. Take the fee and no grade or slabbed card. I heard now they might label it as hand cut but have not seen what that label looks like. But also dont think you would come close to the price of a PSA graded card or maybe even CSG SGC similar grade if it appears to be a sheet cut card in a Beckett holder.

• Options
    jimradjimrad Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭

I’m looking at some vintage uncut sheets where the cards are always “hand cut”

Positive transactions with: Bkritz,Bosox1976,Brick,captainthreeputt,cpettimd,craigger,cwazzy,DES1984,Dboneesq,daddymc,Downtown1974,EAsports,EagleEyeKid,fattymacs,gameusedhoop,godblessUSA,goose3,KatsCards,mike22y2k,
    MULLINS5,1966CUDA,nam812,nightcrawler,OAKESY25,PowderedH2O,relaxed,RonBurgundy,samsgirl214,shagrotn77,swartz1,slantycouch,Statman,Wabittwax
  • Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hostess?

Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • Options
    UlyssesExtravaganzaUlyssesExtravaganza Posts: 478 ✭✭✭✭

Gotcha. I would say, as someone mentioned practice using some cheap uncut sheets. Just try to become an expert on 1990 Topps or later. Just develop your style, learn the process. Learn how you can make mistakes so you can avoid them going forward. Then once you have perfected it on Jose Lind and a similar cast move on to your Post Mickey Mantle. But I would definitely say dont try Mickey right out of the gate or anything valuable.

I would also say just be aware with paper trimmers that not all will give you the desired results. I once had this expensive German model which was ideal, then threw in the towel and lent it out and it was misplaced. So went out and bought an X-acto paper trimmer that looked similar to one I had been using where the blade was becoming dull. But I could see that every card appeared to have a tilt. I assume this was because this particular trimmer was not perfectly aligned with a piece of metal perhaps being a hundredth of inch longer in one spot than in another. Which for what we want to do matters a ton. But you cant return it on those grounds. Its only intended to cut paper for scrapbooking art projects business purposes, etc.

I think some of the blunders you have to be aware of and why it is important to practice are overestimating and cutting off too much, cutting it too slow or in a way so you end up getting a rough cut when you have no space left or lining it up wrong so its uneven. Best of luck.

• Options

Vintage Pele, Ruth, Gretzky, Maradona

• Options
    Copyboy1Copyboy1 Posts: 468 ✭✭✭✭

I wouldn't do it, but as pointed out above, do not use a paper cutter or rotary cutter. Get a metal ruler (the thicker the better - but NOT with a cork backing) and use an exacto knife with a sharp blade. But getting these cut to precise specs by hand will be almost impossible.

• Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭

What about using a place that offers laser cutting services?

• Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

SGC at one time was offering to cut sheets for a fee. It was pretty expensive so I never followed thru with it.

• Options

I know in my case I have some of the uncut Topps checklists that were mail in from 1976 to 1981 football. I need them for the registry and they are very hard to come by and is also why there are a lot of people that don’t have their sets at 100%. I know one that I already have graded is the only to to ever be graded and I’m also the only one at 100% for that set. I’ve had these sheets for awhile but with the price of grading I’ve never cut them. Still hoping for it to come down so it makes it worth having them graded.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,233 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Copyboy1 said:
    I wouldn't do it, but as pointed out above, do not use a paper cutter or rotary cutter. Get a metal ruler (the thicker the better - but NOT with a cork backing) and use an exacto knife with a sharp blade. But getting these cut to precise specs by hand will be almost impossible.

I use a metal ruler (has a cork back, I turn it upside down) and an Xacto knife with a #11 blade. I use the Zirconium Nitride coated blades.

I have gotten many 9's and 10's on hand cut issues like the All Star game program cards from the 1980's and some very high grades on Bazooka, Post and Jello issues as well.

It's not that hard with practice.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭

You might try a big printer business but small enough for unique services.

they cut all the time.

Personally, I would leave the 75 sheets alone.

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options

@jay0791 said:
    You might try a big printer business but small enough for unique services.

they cut all the time.

Personally, I would leave the 75 sheets alone.

I don’t have any 75 sheets that is from someone else

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:

@Copyboy1 said:

I use a metal ruler (has a cork back, I turn it upside down) and an Xacto knife with a #11 blade. I use the Zirconium Nitride coated blades.

I have gotten many 9's and 10's on hand cut issues like the All Star game program cards from the 1980's and some very high grades on Bazooka, Post and Jello issues as well.

I have done similar to the above with good results. Make sure you keep your blades clean and replace on the first hint of dulling.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    thedutymon11thedutymon11 Posts: 636 ✭✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:

@Copyboy1 said:

Afternoon,

And I can testify that he can accomplish 9's on 90 year old Strip's, cutting them, even in this tough grading world we are in! He's done it for me!

YeeHaw!

Neil

• Options

@thedutymon11 said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@Copyboy1 said:

Afternoon,

And I can testify that he can accomplish 9's on 90 year old Strip's, cutting them, even in this tough grading world we are in! He's done it for me!

YeeHaw!

Neil

Thanks for the kind words my friend.

@Cakes said:

I have done similar to the above with good results. Make sure you keep your blades clean and replace on the first hint of dulling.

>

Don't wait until you see a hint of dulling. I usually don't do more than a couple of cuts and set the blade aside for general use.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love working on hand cut items - and I fully endorse the exact-o knife method. A few examples…

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options

Any of you want to make a few bucks. I’ll send you some more to cut out. I’ve got some of the Topps FB mail in checklists that need to be cut and I’ve been putting it off cause to scared I can’t do it right. Plus grading charges are to high so that’s another reason.

• Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does the rule and exacto method work on the Baseball Cards mag inserts? I'm concerned that the stock is light and will crinkle when cut.

Mike
  • Options

@ndleo said:
    Does the rule and exacto method work on the Baseball Cards mag inserts? I'm concerned that the stock is light and will crinkle when cut.

It does, but only if the blade is really sharp. So use a new blade and switch it out frequently.

• Options
    1948_Swell_Robinson1948_Swell_Robinson Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭✭

@1951WheatiesPremium said:
    I love working on hand cut items - and I fully endorse the exact-o knife method. A few examples…

Did you consider keeping that Mantle box intact instead of cutting it out?

• Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Copyboy1 said:

@ndleo said:

It does, but only if the blade is really sharp. So use a new blade and switch it out frequently.

Should I follow right on the border line or just outside it? I've seen both. Or should I go for the standard baseball card size?

Mike
  • Options

@1948_Swell_Robinson said:

Did you consider keeping that Mantle box intact instead of cutting it out?

No…

…one to cut, one to keep.

🤣😂🤣

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options

@ndleo said:

@Copyboy1 said:

@ndleo said:

Should I follow right on the border line or just outside it? I've seen both. Or should I go for the standard baseball card size?

I have gotten 9's on Baseball Card magazine inserts and some 10's on All Star Program inserts.

I usually try to leave a thin strip of border outside the line, if I don't like the results, there's still room to try again.

I recommend the Zirconium Oxide blades they are amazing!

Paper is very hard on blades! Change often or paper can tear and ruin the card.

• Options
    edited June 17, 2022 7:18PM

hey 51Wheaties,
    Your 68 box cut out is my All Time Favorite of yours... :)

• Options

If I were to cut my 1988 Jiffy Pop's, any idea on how to make circle cuts?

• Options
    thehallmarkthehallmark Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭

For those who have mastered the exact-o knife method...

When it's the kind of sheet with perforations between cards, and there is some expectation of leaving chads around the edges, does that change your strategy at all? For example, have a look at any of the 1994 Miami Hurricanes Bumble Bee Tuna cards. You never see any with the chads cut clean off. How would you handle those?

• Options

@jimrad said:
    Anyone have suggestions or have a good source for cutting uncut sheets.

See above. I could probably help if you need it…

• Options

@GroceryRackPack said:
    If I were to cut my 1988 Jiffy Pop's, any idea on how to make circle cuts?

With something like this.