Home U.S. Coin Forum

WOW 1938 D Buffalo at GC

Joey29Joey29 Posts: 458 ✭✭✭

1938 D PCGS rattler in MS 65 gold at $535 going strong at GC. Last week same type of coin sold for $432 with BP. I am amazed. I could have bought an beautiful PCGS MS 67 38D for a little under $200 at DLRC a few days ago without CAC, , but still comparatively so cheap even if a C coin or slightly overgraded. I hate this date though. Any thoughts

Comments

• MWallaceMWallace Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's my PCGS 67. As you said @Joey29 , it was under $200

• BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,474 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 10, 2022 12:43PM

I don't hate the date, but it definitely turned into a Buffalo Widget big time.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • djmdjm Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BuffaloIronTail said:

Peye

What does it mean when you spell your name wrong?

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,275 ✭✭✭✭✭

More and more collectors seems to be burying themselves in what are essentially very common coins.

All glory is fleeting.
  • alaura22alaura22 Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭✭✭

If your starting or have a set you still need one, Just saying..........

• alaura22alaura22 Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 9, 2022 7:28PM

@djm said:

@BuffaloIronTail said:

Peye

lean to the left one button :)

• Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’d rather spend that kind of money on a ‘15S in Xf-AU. And if I posted it on the forum, most would yawn. Now a ‘38D with blazing fresh from the roll luster, a little rim tone, and a mega grade, now you’re talking!!

Successful BST transactions with 171 members. Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • jtlee321jtlee321 Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Joey29 said:
    1938 D PCGS rattler in MS 65 gold at $535 going strong at GC. Last week same type of coin sold for $432 with BP. I am amazed. I could have bought an beautiful PCGS MS 67 38D for a little under $200 at DLRC a few days ago without CAC, , but still comparatively so cheap even if a C coin or slightly overgraded. I hate this date though. Any thoughts

The 1938-D you speak of is actually in a Doily holder rather than a rattler. But, that is still VERY strong money.

• Joey29Joey29 Posts: 458 ✭✭✭

@jtlee321 said:

@Joey29 said:

The 1938-D you speak of is actually in a Doily holder rather than a rattler. But, that is still VERY strong money.

What is a Dolly holder rather than a rattler?

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,487 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 10, 2022 3:46AM

@Joey29 said:

@jtlee321 said:

@Joey29 said:

Look at the label.

That is VERY rare plastic and with a gold CAC to boot.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a couple of high grade '38 D Buffs.... Did not realize they had become so expensive. I believe mine are 67's.... Will have to check. Purchased them in the late '90's, early '00's. Will have to dig them out of the cabinet. Cheers, RickO

• messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,879 ✭✭✭✭✭

If a coin is being held hostage by an ugly holder and a gold sticker, at least it's only a 38-D Buffalo.

• Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭✭✭

Like jmlanzaf stated….that price is being driven by the doily and the gold CAC. Great addition to a slab collectors collection. Happy to see such a strong price since the auction is that of a fellow board member.

@Joey29 said:

@jtlee321 said:

@Joey29 said:

The "Doily" came directly after the rattler generation and did not last very long in production. Here is a link to the PCGS museum of holders.

https://pcgs.com/holdermuseum

• BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,474 ✭✭✭✭✭

@djm said:

@BuffaloIronTail said:

Peye

I just spotted it. All fixed up.

Haste IS waste!

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jtlee321 said:

@Joey29 said:

Is that yours?

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.

@clarkbar04 said:

@jtlee321 said:

@Joey29 said:

Is that yours?

No, The one I had was a 1913 T1 in MS-65 with gold. I did own a 1938-D in a doily with a green CAC sticker a while back though.

• pointfivezeropointfivezero Posts: 1,751 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Downtown1974 said:
    Like jmlanzaf stated….that price is being driven by the doily and the gold CAC. Great addition to a slab collectors collection. Happy to see such a strong price since the auction is that of a fellow board member.

Now that the auction is over, I can reveal I was the seller. I did not want to appear to be plugging my own listing here in the US Coin section prior to the end of the auction but a savvy member might have seen my post in the BST.

For the record, the final hammer price exceeded all expectations. I paid strong money for this Doily but not this strong:

Tim

• Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great job, Tim!!!! Very happy for you!
    I was watching that Saint in the doily, if I didn’t already have a 1924, I would have been in the running.

• pointfivezeropointfivezero Posts: 1,751 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Downtown1974 said:
    Great job, Tim!!!! Very happy for you!
    I was watching that Saint in the doily, if I didn’t already have a 1924, I would have been in the running.

Thanks '74. Unfortunately, that Saint was my biggest loser. I definitely overpaid for it.

Win some and lose some.....

T

• ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pointfivezero said:

@Downtown1974 said:

Now that the auction is over, I can reveal I was the seller. I did not want to appear to be plugging my own listing here in the US Coin section prior to the end of the auction but a savvy member might have seen my post in the BST.

For the record, the final hammer price exceeded all expectations. I paid strong money for this Doily but not this strong:

Tim

Dang, so close to that $1000 no seller fee threshold.
    Congrats on the strong sale!

Collector, occasional seller

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file