Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

WOW 1938 D Buffalo at GC

Joey29Joey29 Posts: 458 ✭✭✭

1938 D PCGS rattler in MS 65 gold at $535 going strong at GC. Last week same type of coin sold for $432 with BP. I am amazed. I could have bought an beautiful PCGS MS 67 38D for a little under $200 at DLRC a few days ago without CAC, , but still comparatively so cheap even if a C coin or slightly overgraded. I hate this date though. Any thoughts

Comments

• Options
    MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's my PCGS 67. As you said @Joey29 , it was under $200

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 10, 2022 12:43PM

I don't hate the date, but it definitely turned into a Buffalo Widget big time.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    djmdjm Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BuffaloIronTail said:

Peye

What does it mean when you spell your name wrong?

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,035 ✭✭✭✭✭

More and more collectors seems to be burying themselves in what are essentially very common coins.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    alaura22alaura22 Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

If your starting or have a set you still need one, Just saying..........

• Options
    alaura22alaura22 Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 9, 2022 7:28PM

@djm said:

@BuffaloIronTail said:

Peye

lean to the left one button :)

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’d rather spend that kind of money on a ‘15S in Xf-AU. And if I posted it on the forum, most would yawn. Now a ‘38D with blazing fresh from the roll luster, a little rim tone, and a mega grade, now you’re talking!!

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    jtlee321jtlee321 Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Joey29 said:
    1938 D PCGS rattler in MS 65 gold at $535 going strong at GC. Last week same type of coin sold for $432 with BP. I am amazed. I could have bought an beautiful PCGS MS 67 38D for a little under $200 at DLRC a few days ago without CAC, , but still comparatively so cheap even if a C coin or slightly overgraded. I hate this date though. Any thoughts

The 1938-D you speak of is actually in a Doily holder rather than a rattler. But, that is still VERY strong money.

• Options
    Joey29Joey29 Posts: 458 ✭✭✭

@jtlee321 said:

@Joey29 said:

The 1938-D you speak of is actually in a Doily holder rather than a rattler. But, that is still VERY strong money.

What is a Dolly holder rather than a rattler?

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,651 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 10, 2022 3:46AM

@Joey29 said:

@jtlee321 said:

@Joey29 said:

Look at the label.

That is VERY rare plastic and with a gold CAC to boot.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a couple of high grade '38 D Buffs.... Did not realize they had become so expensive. I believe mine are 67's.... Will have to check. Purchased them in the late '90's, early '00's. Will have to dig them out of the cabinet. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,764 ✭✭✭✭✭

If a coin is being held hostage by an ugly holder and a gold sticker, at least it's only a 38-D Buffalo.

• Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

Like jmlanzaf stated….that price is being driven by the doily and the gold CAC. Great addition to a slab collectors collection. Happy to see such a strong price since the auction is that of a fellow board member.

• Options

@Joey29 said:

@jtlee321 said:

@Joey29 said:

The "Doily" came directly after the rattler generation and did not last very long in production. Here is a link to the PCGS museum of holders.

https://pcgs.com/holdermuseum

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭✭✭

@djm said:

@BuffaloIronTail said:

Peye

I just spotted it. All fixed up.

Haste IS waste!

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jtlee321 said:

@Joey29 said:

Is that yours?

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options

@clarkbar04 said:

@jtlee321 said:

@Joey29 said:

Is that yours?

No, The one I had was a 1913 T1 in MS-65 with gold. I did own a 1938-D in a doily with a green CAC sticker a while back though.

• Options
    pointfivezeropointfivezero Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Downtown1974 said:
    Like jmlanzaf stated….that price is being driven by the doily and the gold CAC. Great addition to a slab collectors collection. Happy to see such a strong price since the auction is that of a fellow board member.

Now that the auction is over, I can reveal I was the seller. I did not want to appear to be plugging my own listing here in the US Coin section prior to the end of the auction but a savvy member might have seen my post in the BST.

For the record, the final hammer price exceeded all expectations. I paid strong money for this Doily but not this strong:

Tim

• Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great job, Tim!!!! Very happy for you!
    I was watching that Saint in the doily, if I didn’t already have a 1924, I would have been in the running.

• Options
    pointfivezeropointfivezero Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Downtown1974 said:
    Great job, Tim!!!! Very happy for you!
    I was watching that Saint in the doily, if I didn’t already have a 1924, I would have been in the running.

Thanks '74. Unfortunately, that Saint was my biggest loser. I definitely overpaid for it.

Win some and lose some.....

T

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pointfivezero said:

@Downtown1974 said:

Now that the auction is over, I can reveal I was the seller. I did not want to appear to be plugging my own listing here in the US Coin section prior to the end of the auction but a savvy member might have seen my post in the BST.

For the record, the final hammer price exceeded all expectations. I paid strong money for this Doily but not this strong:

Tim

Dang, so close to that $1000 no seller fee threshold.
    Congrats on the strong sale!

Collector, occasional seller

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file