Home Metal Detecting
Options

M1866 Chassepot Yataghan Sword Bayonet

slimiesslimies Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 10, 2022 5:50PM in Metal Detecting

Years ago my dad was friends with someone ( since passed away about 10 yrs ago ) who had a farm near where part of the battle took place and he had stuff on display on his walls that he had dug . while dad was visiting they were ploughing and the blade hit something with a clunk so they stopped and went to get the shovel and detector. was a bit of a dig but they pulled out this sword still in the scabbard. He gave it to my dad and last night dad gave it to me so now its mine and am putting something together to display it on my desk .

Comments

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,829 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stunning find!! Brilliant!! 👍🏻

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    edited June 3, 2022 6:20PM

thankyou . wish i had been able to see his other finds . at least i have the sword . am unsure if its cavalry or ?

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@slimies.... Wow... That is an incredible find, and appears to be in great condition. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 4, 2022 8:14AM

That's an endearing story; however, I can't help but be dubious about it. The artifact looks too well preserved to have been dug, and I don't see any damage where a plow supposedly hit it.

I don't have the expertise to date the artifact; however, I would be interested to know what markings are on the blade. It wouldn't surprise me if this is a bayonet and much later than 1812.

• Options

Quick internet search for "French bayonet" makes me think this is a Chassepot bayonet from the 1860s.

• Options

@Bayard1908 said:
    That's an endearing story; however, I can't help but be dubious about it. The artifact looks too well preserved to have been dug, and I don't see any damage where a plow supposedly hit it.

I don't have the expertise to date the artifact; however, I would be interested to know what markings are on the blade. It wouldn't surprise me if this is a bayonet and much later than 1812.

I did some looking up after saw the message and talked to my sisters. sis says it was found in a friend backyard not a farm . I never got to meet dads friend so I only have dads word on the date on it. I did some searching too and it looks like the chassepot bayonet you mentioned . My sis says dad never owned a metal detector it seems . am loading pics of the stamps and marks i could find on it . if is the chassepot bayonet then i can amend the title for this discussion. I also loaded a pic of the dent near the tip on the scabbard.

• Options

I found something similar in a wooded area in England, it's in very poor shape ,I believe it could be French but I'm no expert.

• Options

@tynetraveller2000 said:
    I found something similar in a wooded area in England, it's in very poor shape ,I believe it could be French but I'm no expert. ![]

That's definitely a bayonet, possibly for a French Gras rifle.

• Options

I agree with the bayonet identification..... clear from the configuration. Cheers, RickO

• Options

was unsure if the pictured of the stamps and marks i posted provided any help .

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, very nice !!! 👍

Timbuk3
  • Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,674 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yataghan sword bayonet for use on the 11 mm. M1866 Chassepot needle-fire rifle.
    The M1866 rifle was referred to as the Chassepot, after its inventor, Antoine Alphonse Chassepot.

The M1866 bayonet also mounts to the 11 mm. M1874 Gras rifle, although this example is difficult to mount to the Gras in my collection.

M1866 bayonets were produced at the French state arms plants:

—Chatellerault
    —Mutzig
    —St. Etienne
    —Tulle

Also by French government contractors:

—Cahen & Lyon, Paris
    —Charles Reeves & Co., Birmingham
    —Christofle, Paris
    —Stehelin & Cie., Bitschwiller, Thunn
    —Y. Funcke & Cie ., Herdecke

Government bayonets are marked on the blade spine with the factory, month, and year of production.

A commercial producer was Felix Escoffier, St. Étienne

Nice, none the less. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options

@Namvet69.... I did not know you were expert in bayonets Roy...Interesting information. Cheers, RickO

• Options

Ty for the help and actual identification of the item. I let my dad know what it was and he was glad for the update .