Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Three Midgrade Seated Liberty halves: GTG showdown

BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,233 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here are three midgrade Seated Liberty halves with comparable wear on "LIBERTY" on the shield. Please guess the grade on all three. These are the sellers' photos but they can be expanded for more detail. Hint: no two coins share the same grade.

3 rim nicks away from Good

Comments

  • Options
    lermishlermish Posts: 2,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2, 2022 9:37AM

    Left to Right
    15-25-20

  • Options
    Stingray63Stingray63 Posts: 299 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2, 2022 5:50PM

    15, 20, 25

    Pocket Change Inspector

  • Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

    12
    15
    20

    “I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

    My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

    https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I would say 15, 25, 20. Cheers, RickO

  • Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I am not knowledgable but one thing I know ..... they are beautiful! <3

  • Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,233 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2, 2022 1:16PM

    I'll reveal the grades this evening. I will say this, no one has come closer than a total of 3-steps off for the three coins combined. For example, if the coin is graded P20 and someone calls it F12, they're two steps off of the TPG assigned grade.

    I should add that all coins have been graded by PCGS.

    3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭✭

    20, 35, 30

    My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

    Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,756 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Stingray63 said:
    F15, F20, VF25

    my vote as well!

    Tom

  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭

    L to R, and I’m only going by the reverse: 30, 20, 25
    The 55s has the best rev but the worst obv so it’s not fair. :|

    We're all born MS70. I'm about a Fine 15 right now.
  • Options
    JBNJBN Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭✭✭

    30, 35, 40.

  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @JBN said:
    30, 35, 40.

    WOW!

  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2, 2022 1:48PM

    I almost wish I had asked what generation holders each coin was in. The grading has loosened on these a bit over the years.

  • Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

    25, 20 and 15
    Jim


    When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

    Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

    30, 20, 25. It would appear I agree with @dogwood.

    Coin Photographer.

  • Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 8,103 ✭✭✭✭✭

    15, 20, 25

  • Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭✭✭

    12 15 20

    Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

  • Options
    jtlee321jtlee321 Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    JBNJBN Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @amwldcoin said:

    @JBN said:
    30, 35, 40.

    WOW!

    I have a deal with myself that I GTG and post what I guess no-matter-what. I did have a real tasty breakfast.

  • Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

    15, 15,20

    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options
    alaura22alaura22 Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭✭✭

    25
    35
    45

  • Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,233 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @amwldcoin said:
    I almost wish I had asked what generation holders each coin was in. The grading has loosened on these a bit over the years.

    Good point. I think the grades assigned were fair, so I feel it conforms to today's standards.

    3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Barberian said:

    @amwldcoin said:
    I almost wish I had asked what generation holders each coin was in. The grading has loosened on these a bit over the years.

    Good point. I think the grades assigned were fair, so I feel it conforms to today's standards.

    When I started dealing it would have been hard to sell any of those as F's!

  • Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,233 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @amwldcoin said:

    @Barberian said:

    @amwldcoin said:
    I almost wish I had asked what generation holders each coin was in. The grading has loosened on these a bit over the years.

    Good point. I think the grades assigned were fair, so I feel it conforms to today's standards.

    When I started dealing it would have been hard to sell any of those as F's!

    Wow! So you had to have a full LIBERTY? So my understanding is FIne would start where VF25-30 is today, correct? When did standards change? I started collecting Liberty Seated halves in 2006. I've seen a recent tightening in the past 5 years or so.

    3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,233 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2, 2022 4:54PM

    The grades:
    25 - 1855-O
    15 - 1874-S
    20 - 1860-S

    3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,626 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2, 2022 5:26PM

    The 1991 Fourth Edition Official A.N.A. Grading Standards for United States Coins book has for Liberty Seated Half Dollars:

    • VG-8 Four letters in LIBERTY are clear.
    • F-12 All shield lines and letters in LIBERTY are weak but visible.
    • VF-20 Every letter in LIBERTY is visible. Horizontal shield lines are weak in center.
    • VF-30 LIBERTY and scroll are complete.

    In my view, this is somewhat ambiguous; I believe "visible" means you can see at least part of the letter.
    Your photos are not large enough to determine this for the central letter E.

    And 1996 Red Book:

    • VG-8, VERY GOOD - At least 3 letters in LIBERTY are evident.
    • F-12, FINE - LIBERTY complete, but weak.
    • VF-20, VERY FINE - LIBERTY mostly sharp.

    And here is PCGS Photograde:
    https://www.pcgs.com/photograde#/Seated50/Grades

  • Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Barberian said:
    The grades:
    25 - 1855-O
    15 - 1874-S
    20 - 1860-S

    Well at least I'm consistently wrong! A jump off for each.

    Coin Photographer.

  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2, 2022 5:11PM

    @Barberian said:
    The grades:
    25 - 1855-O
    15 - 1874-S
    20 - 1860-S

    I figured the 74-S would be the lowest after seeing it was in an older holder. Mid 90's and more people adhered to a full Liberty for F! Is the 55-O in the newest holder?

    Edit to add: I still grade the 74-S the highest. It's a with motto and the motto takes away from the strike.

  • Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,233 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2, 2022 5:17PM

    @amwldcoin said:

    @Barberian said:
    The grades:
    25 - 1855-O
    15 - 1874-S
    20 - 1860-S

    I figured the 74-S would be the lowest after seeing it was in an older holder. Mid 90's and more people adhered to a full Liberty for F! Is the 55-O in the newest holder?

    The 1874-S was submitted to PCGS at Summer FUN last year and I received it back in early December. I bought the 1855-O around 8 years ago.

    The 1860-S was purchased less than 12 months ago.

    3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Barberian said:

    @amwldcoin said:

    @Barberian said:
    The grades:
    25 - 1855-O
    15 - 1874-S
    20 - 1860-S

    I figured the 74-S would be the lowest after seeing it was in an older holder. Mid 90's and more people adhered to a full Liberty for F! Is the 55-O in the newest holder?

    The 1874-S was submitted to PCGS at Summer FUN last year and I received it back in early December. I bought the 1855-O around 8 years ago.

    The 1860-S was purchased less than 12 months ago.

    Looks like PCGS grades Seated Halves like they do Barbers! All over the place in Circ Grades! It doesn't matter what the holder says, If I'm buying from the pictures that's the values I would place on them. Everyone has their own criteria!

  • Options
    LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2, 2022 6:39PM

    The coins all look nice regardless of "technical grade".

  • Options
    OmegaraptorOmegaraptor Posts: 531 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @amwldcoin said:

    @Barberian said:

    @amwldcoin said:

    @Barberian said:
    The grades:
    25 - 1855-O
    15 - 1874-S
    20 - 1860-S

    I figured the 74-S would be the lowest after seeing it was in an older holder. Mid 90's and more people adhered to a full Liberty for F! Is the 55-O in the newest holder?

    The 1874-S was submitted to PCGS at Summer FUN last year and I received it back in early December. I bought the 1855-O around 8 years ago.

    The 1860-S was purchased less than 12 months ago.

    Looks like PCGS grades Seated Halves like they do Barbers! All over the place in Circ Grades! It doesn't matter what the holder says, If I'm buying from the pictures that's the values I would place on them. Everyone has their own criteria!

    You have to consider the strike quality on each individual date. For instance 1877 IHCs tend to look way overgraded if going by LIBERTY on the headband, since all 1877 Indians were weak on the obverse towards 12:00 right off the bat.

    "You can't get just one gun." "You can't get just one tattoo." "You can't get just one 1796 Draped Bust Large Cent."

  • Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,233 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I put this slide together to argue the 1874-S was a VF20. However, the slide convinced me that the three coins were properly graded. The 55-O has less wear on the breast and thigh and more wing & neck detail over the other two. The surfaces are excellent. The 74-S has the most wear of the three on the reverse, and the surfaces show a bit of corrosion.

    3 rim nicks away from Good

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file