Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

WAM (serif G) fs-901 on a major MAD

DannybeDannybe Posts: 49
edited May 31, 2022 7:24PM in U.S. Coin Forum

OK as you can see I'm fairly new to these message boards/discussions I posted a few things just to see how interactive this community is,( which far exceeds my expectations), Which I love by the way . I buy and sell Coins online And have been avidly collecting and researching/ searching for mint erros for about a year I have the knowledge one would have gained in a year Researching and buying Your standard books. One thing I have grown quite Fond of is The varieties Of mint errors I came across this one in a very simple roll From a simple bank on a simple day and I was so pleased on the obvious MAD itself I looked no further into the FG or WAM. I have 290 days on my platinum subscription with 8 Vouchers and I am taking my time picking the 8 I'm sending Of course this 1988 made the top of my list And posting it the other day on the coin Forum someone who From what I can tell has more knowledge than I do on the subject so much so he felt confident enough to tell me that this specific year with these specific features is what I have listed as the title of this discussion Not only would I appreciate other knowledgeable Experts opinions on my coin but if you have to guess a grade What grade would you give it thank you for reading and happy hunting

Comments

• Options
    IkesTIkesT Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice misaligned die error, but too bad about the spotting and obverse damage. I'm afraid you may get a details designation if you submit this coin.

The coin is not the FS-901, I'm sorry to say. Your coin has the common reverse design for 1988 (RDV-005). The FS-901 designation is for RDV-006. BOTH the RDV-005 and RDV-006 have a wide gap between the AM letters (see below). This has long been a major point of confusion. The key to distinguish between these reverse design varieties is to compare the FG initials.

http://varietyvista.com/01b LC Doubled Dies Vol 2/Memorial Reverse Design Varieties.htm

• Options
    lilolmelilolme Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hello @Dannybe

Not sure what you were going to submit the coin under (mint error, variety...) but here is what the 8 vouchers are good for and not. Just in case.

https://www.pcgs.com/join

(Below the t-shirt and then restrictions apply down arrow.)

These free grading vouchers are a great way to get started building your PCGS-graded coin and banknote collection. They are valid for submissions of U.S. or World (non-U.S.) coins or banknotes equivalent to either the Regular Standard or Regular Gold Shield service level. Vouchers are not valid for Restoration Services, Mint Errors, Special Issues, Additional Services, Guarantee Premium fees or coins valued over $2,500. Vouchers are valid for submissions to the PCGS U.S. office only. Vouchers are valid for the term of the original membership only. Customer is responsible for Guarantee Premium fees, return shipping, and handling.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,228 ✭✭✭✭✭

shoot a zoom on the FG initials

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

• Options

• Options

Thanks for the tips !!

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 31, 2022 7:32PM

definitely not the 901

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

• Options

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 31, 2022 8:23PM

@IkesT said:

This may be my fault as i stated it was almost certainly the WAM in the other thread (which is simultaneously a serif G) EXCEPT it is not and this coin amazingly enough proves that! - i did state that the serif G needed to be verified and this thread did just that.

WHAT A BUMMER!

Since i couldn't make it out from the images in the other thread, I took pcgs' word for it and the FS guys, that since it is oddly enough called the WAM with the transitional FG, all of them would have that, otherwise the WAM wouldn't be a reliable major diagnostic PUP.

SO, since the FS-901 is called WAM by pcgs, it seems perhaps a modification to that is in order? can't call it a WAM with a serif G if all the WAMs don't have the serif G.

Is there some intricate information i'm not aware of? The FS-901s under the WAM attribution on CF show only serif G with WAM. Is the offiical WAM not with the transitional FG reverse? RVD something.

It was TOO good to be true.

To give pcgs credit, they have changed some other attributions in the pops, that we saw from another recent thread.

edited to add:

linking the other thread and to my comment for posterity. LINK

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options

@LanceNewmanOCC Here's the issue, in a nutshell:

Starting in 1993, all business strike Lincoln cents were struck with the Close AM reverse (RDV-007).

However, in 1998, 1999, and 2000, a minority of business strikes were once again struck with RDV-006, and these became collectible varieties. These cents with RDV-006 became known as "Wide AM" cents to distinguish them from the more common Close AM (RDV-007) cents of the same dates.

The 1988 1c FS-901 was ALSO struck with the RDV-006 reverse, so people continued the tradition of calling them "Wide AM" cents. The problem here is that the common Lincoln cent reverse of 1988 (RDV-005) ALSO has a wide AM - hence the confusion. In this case, we are no longer identifying the variety by comparing the width of the AM, we are comparing the FG initials.

By comparison to the RDV-005, the RDV-006 has bolder, thicker FG initials with well-developed upper and lower serifs on the stem of the G.

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 1, 2022 11:40AM

@IkesT said:

... we are no longer identifying the variety by comparing the width of the AM, we are comparing the FG initials...

Yep! Another good example to know you have the correct 1988 variety.
    The "FG" initials should be compared to the 1989 initials.

;)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options

@joeykoins said:

@IkesT said:

... we are no longer identifying the variety by comparing the width of the AM, we are comparing the FG initials...

Yep! Another good example to know you have the correct 1988 variety.
    The "FG" initials should be compared to the 1989 initials.

;)

To expand on your point, to learn the FG initials for the RDV-006, you can study any cent dated 1989 to 1992 (providing it is not a 1992 Close AM cent, which most are not).

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file