Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Has anyone seen a rattler label in a 2.0/2.1 slab type and have an explanation for it?

I picked this up a few years ago and previously it was sold by Heritage. I was wondering if anyone had seen a rattler label inside a 2.0 or 2.1 holder. Did PCGS ever re-holder a coin in a 1.2 holder to a 2.x holder and keep the old label? Thanks for any information.

Comments

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,410 ✭✭✭✭✭

Perhaps someone had a damaged rattler slab and they sent it in to get it re-slabbed and they just reused the old label.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    lermishlermish Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry, no idea, but that is fabulous looking coin for a 30. Nice pickup!!!

• Options

@PerryHall said:
    Perhaps someone had a damaged rattler slab and they sent it in to get it re-slabbed and they just reused the old label.

That would be my guess but a first hand account of someone doing it would be cool.

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,730 ✭✭✭✭✭

Could it possibly be in the original rattler and someone carefully added the outer gasket to it? I know this can be done since folks can repair damaged doily holders by carefully putting on a donor plastic ring.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    pointfivezeropointfivezero Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TomB said:
    Could it possibly be in the original rattler and someone carefully added the outer gasket to it? I know this can be done since folks can repair damaged doily holders by carefully putting on a donor plastic ring.

That’s my assumption too.

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TomB said:

This. The outer sharp gaskets are removable with a little care (and luck) and can be put on rattlers to help them fit in boxes.

• Options

It is sadly tucked away in my safe deposit box but I will see if the outer shell looks removable next time I am there.

• Options

@messydesk said:

@TomB said:

This. The outer sharp gaskets are removable with a little care (and luck) and can be put on rattlers to help them fit in boxes.

Do the three ticks holding the coin imply that it is a rattler holder? I'm looking at various Morgan doily holders on eBay and don't see those three ticks. (2 o'clock, 6, 10). I can't find an older dollar.

On the other hand, from the picture, it looks like the PCGS is part of the holder and also the collar plastic?

I will go get it at the bank sometime soon to have a better look.

• Options

Yes, the "ticks" are evidence this is a rattler with an outer plastic seal/gasket added to it.

• Options
    FranklinHalfAddictFranklinHalfAddict Posts: 651 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does it rattle?

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,410 ✭✭✭✭✭

@messydesk said:

@TomB said:

Not to nit-pick but I would call it a "frame" since the "gasket" is what holds the coin inside the slab shell.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

Ok, I finally got this from my bank box (and yes it does rattle). There is definitely an outer plastic frame/shell holding the rattler slab in place. Any suggestions on how to remove it? On the long edge it is slightly flexible but there I no way I can envision of flexing it enough to get the rattler slab loose from the shell. The plastic frame overlaps just too much.

The last thing I want to do is damage the rattler slab itself. Maybe use a manual file? Or a dremel tool very slowly to cut the outer frame/shell? I assume no one has done this before?

Maybe just put it back in my safe deposit box and ignore it? :smile:

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,894 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wish that our host would reuse the old label and solid gaskets when a reholder is requested.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭✭✭

The first response to the counterfeit rattlers was to add the frame. It's actually separate and can be - very carefully added or removed.

Quoting Conder101:

PCGS 2 This was the first attempt by PCGS to increase the security of their slabs. This is a two piece slab. The center part is the same small "rattler" shell seen on PCGS 1 (note the four alignment pins in the corners around the coin). The second part is a plastic border thatwraps around the edge of the slab and forms the raised lip that now lets the slabs stack and interlock. Other security measures taken were the addition of a barcode to the front label and a hologram to the back label. This was also the last variety that did not have the companies initials on the front label. The front label is off white with a green tinge to it. This faint green is formed by thousands of tiny green dots that are only visible under magnification. This variety was used in Oct and Nov of 1989.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options

@idratherbgardening said:
    Ok, I finally got this from my bank box (and yes it does rattle). There is definitely an outer plastic frame/shell holding the rattler slab in place. Any suggestions on how to remove it? On the long edge it is slightly flexible but there I no way I can envision of flexing it enough to get the rattler slab loose from the shell. The plastic frame overlaps just too much.

The last thing I want to do is damage the rattler slab itself. Maybe use a manual file? Or a dremel tool very slowly to cut the outer frame/shell? I assume no one has done this before?

Just leave it alone. It isn't hurting anyone or anything.

• Options
    lilolmelilolme Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TomB said:

Just leave it alone. It isn't hurting anyone or anything.

Agree and additionally it just might help protect that rattler holder from scratches as it is more protected now and fits pcgs (or other) boxes much better.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

• Options

I actually make rattler slab adapters for modern PCGS boxes and sell them on eBay. So this one doesn't fit! (see pic below)

@BStrauss3 So your opinion is this came from PCGS with the protective outer piece attached but with the 1.2 green label? It's not a super high serial number though and I'd guess someone (somehow) added it after the originally slabbing. As for it being removable, I'd like to see a YouTube video of that!

Slab adapter (happy to sell them off ebay):

• Options

I actually make rattler slab adapters for modern PCGS boxes and sell them on eBay. So this one doesn't fit! (see pic below)

@BStrauss3 So your opinion is this came from PCGS with the protective outer piece attached but with the 1.2 green label? It's not a super high serial number though and I'd guess someone (somehow) added it after the originally slabbing. As for it being removable, I'd like to see a YouTube video of that!

Slab adapter (happy to sell them off ebay):

No. You have misunderstood the quote from @BStrauss3. PCGS did not add the outer adapter to a slab that was identical to the rattler. The plastic portions of the two holders are similar or identical, but the reverse of the certification insert is entirely different. I don't recall you sharing a reverse image of this coin, but if the reverse is a typical rattler reverse then it is not the version that PCGS added the adapter to.

• Options

Thanks @TomB. I understood but I just can't see how this plastic insert got around this rattler slab unless it was done at PCGS themselves. The back is a standard rattler background. IMHO, there is no way to slide a rattler slab into a doily outer shell or remove it for that matter. But maybe people managed that somehow.

• Options

Standard rattler back. No barcode. No PCGS. I wish Condor101's old thread still had the pictures attached.

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,292 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've never had any luck in removing properly "sealed" outer frames w/o damaging it. I've had a couple samples where the frame literally fell off.

There have been several doilies over the years on ebay with obviously damaged outer frames that have been glued back together with variable skill levels. :D

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file