Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Haven't received one of these in change in quite some time ...

I bought a soda at the CVS in Grand Central today and received 23 cents in change, including this 1953-D wheat cent. I'm nearly 67 years old but I still get excited from those unexpected surprises in pocket change. Btw, the dollar coin I always carry in my watch pocket.

Comments

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll be darn - wonder how that escaped "capture" all these years in circulation? :)

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

PS.... Check your cent 1972 for obverse doubling - many varieties that year

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice to still find wheaties in change. I save them when they show up too. For most of my childhood, that was the design of circulating cents - though an occasional IHC would show up. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    sfs2002usasfs2002usa Posts: 813 ✭✭✭

I couldn't resist posting these coins. The walking liberty half was given
    to me by a kindly bank teller. The two cents were cash machine change
    in grocery stores. I really enjoy these coins and finding them.

Grades anyone ?

Thanks !

• Options
    FreeThinkerFreeThinker Posts: 51 ✭✭✭

@Steven59 said:
    PS.... Check your cent 1972 for obverse doubling - many varieties that year

Ha.. the '72 was the first coin I noticed, but only because it was on top of the '53-D. :)

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,831 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've been known to release a few into the wild... ;)

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 28, 2022 7:15PM

with @Steven59 An FS-104 would be nice!

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

I used to pull them out of change when I found them. At some point, I decided to just let them go.

• Options

Arby's last week !

• Options
    Stingray63Stingray63 Posts: 299 ✭✭✭

It's funny to see this. I literally pulled a bunch of these out that I saved as a kid in the 70's when it definitely wasn't uncommon to come across one in your change. I have every year & mint mark to fill a Littleton Vol 2 folder (1930-1958) so just ordered one yesterday to plug them in. Unfortunately I only have 22 wheat cents for Vol 1 (1909-1929) and not so sure I want to tackle going for that one. Who knows? Having a complete Vol 2 may get the best of me.

Pocket Change Inspector

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file