Home U.S. Coin Forum

How would you grade this mint state buffalo nickel that is now in a slab?

BUFFNIXXBUFFNIXX Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

Take a stab at grading this mint state buffalo nickel that is already holder. Should be fun and interesting.

Collector of Buffalo Nickels and other 20th century United States Coinage
a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"

Comments

• FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭✭✭

Young Numismatist, Coin Photographer.

• jtlee321jtlee321 Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS-66 PL. It looks like it may have reflective fields.

• silverbulsilverbul Posts: 139 ✭✭✭

MS71, you were ripped off. jmo

• LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

some pretty rough images even for a gtg.

since there are no prizes for right/wrong, i'll say:

details damage bezel.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 27, 2022 3:29PM

66 from these pics

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,368 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is that PVC etching on the rev ? Looks like it to these eyes

• GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,353 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS65

GrandAm :)
  • BUFFNIXXBUFFNIXX Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is the grading information
    Grade MS68
    Grading Service: NGC
    Cert Number: 4228018003
    Its on ebay now with an asking price of over $5200.
    I do not see it!

Collector of Buffalo Nickels and other 20th century United States Coinage
    a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • kazkaz Posts: 9,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was thinking 67, but I think Crypto has a good point about possible pvc damage-- the bison's shoulder?

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was thinking MS66, maybe 67..... Did not think 68. And would not pay such a price. Cheers, RickO

• gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

First thought was 67. I could see 68 thou. Looks like an early die state with an awesome strike and the luster to match.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• fathomfathom Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭✭

Its OK I guess would not have gone 68 IMO.

There are over 5000 pcgs graded 66 and higher. Registry fanboy coin.

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BUFFNIXX said:
    Grade MS68
    I do not see it!

MS68? No way. Not even close.

All glory is fleeting.
  • 1Bufffan1Bufffan Posts: 616 ✭✭✭

Sorry I would have only given this coin around MS65 not even close to a 68, I have seen better coins with lower grades that I like better, I would pass on this one for sure.

• EbeneezerEbeneezer Posts: 263 ✭✭✭

Nickel is an extremely hard metal to strike up properly, especially for the technology of the time. Which is the reason many of the Indian Head nickels exhibit signs of die polish. This specimen to me lacks any. Yet factoring these in, the numerous minute imperfections- in my opinion- warrant a grade no higher than MS66, possible plus based on grading criteria. However, I do like the look of it only way over on the asking price.

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 11,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1Bufffan said:
    Sorry I would have only given this coin around MS65 not even close to a 68, I have seen better coins with lower grades that I like better, I would pass on this one for sure.

Why would you assign a grade of only “around MS65”?

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can see 68 easily with this coin. It may look 65 because of the images, but it's just that - the images. There's only a few very minor marks on the coin, it's got incredible luster, fantastic tone, and possibly prooflike fields. All can easily add up to a 68, and we don't have it in hand to argue with NGC's opinion based on these poor images.

Young Numismatist, Coin Photographer.

• LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

we aren't working with proper information. the listing doesn't have an obv slab shot. probably an accident. there are other(s) 1937 ms68 ngc buffs to comp. fwiw

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a tendency to condemn to a lower grade based on the photo, but in-hand it may appear substantially different - it seems hard to believe the TPG could be off by a full 3 points, although not the first time certainly.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BUFFNIXX said:
    Grade MS68
    I do not see it!

I wouldn't have graded it more than 65. I don't care for it, but of course, that's just me.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • fiftysevenerfiftysevener Posts: 896 ✭✭✭✭

Coin is very well struck, pretty much mark free with semi proof like surfaces. Why not 68 ?

@fiftysevener said:
    Coin is very well struck, pretty much mark free with semi proof like surfaces. Why not 68 ?

Low eye appeal,,,,,,,,,,,,

edited May 28, 2022 9:43AM

@GRANDAM said:

@fiftysevener said:

Eye appeal is subjective, I love it ! Very few mint state Buffalos are well struck.

@fiftysevener said:

@GRANDAM said:

@fiftysevener said:

Eye appeal is subjective, I love it ! very few mint state Buffalos are well struck.

Agreed. It also appears to have exceptional luster and flash, as well as attractive color.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

@MFeld said:

@fiftysevener said:

@GRANDAM said:

@fiftysevener said:

Eye appeal is subjective, I love it ! Very few mint state Buffalos are well struck.

Agreed. It also appears to have exceptional luster and flash, as well as attractive color.

Do you think this coin would merit a Star on the label ?

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

@fiftysevener said:

@GRANDAM said:

@fiftysevener said:

MS68 coins should always be sharply struck!

All glory is fleeting.

If the coin was in a P holder I suspect that replies would be very different.

My Lincoln Registry

edited May 28, 2022 11:22AM

@fiftysevener said:

@MFeld said:

@fiftysevener said:

@GRANDAM said:

@fiftysevener said:

Do you think this coin would merit a Star on the label ?

Without seeing it in hand, the best I can do is “possibly”.

• braddickbraddick Posts: 22,993 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinbuf said:

Condemning it more or praising it more?

peacockcoins

edited May 28, 2022 12:22PM

@braddick said:

@coinbuf said:

How often do you see posts here, that are more likely to praise (rather than condemn) an NGC graded coin than they are a PCGS graded one? ;)

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭✭✭

While I can see the coin in a 67 holder and perhaps with a star, it is not for me. I'm not a coffee ground toning lover. It makes the coin look dirty to me and the grain pits also deter my liking this coin. Were it in a PCGS holder at MS68, I would still pass.
    Not for me.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭✭✭

It would be interesting to see these photos of the coin on the ebay auction page.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain

@braddick said:

@coinbuf said:

You have been here for awhile, you tell me. :)

My Lincoln Registry

• 2windy2fish2windy2fish Posts: 793 ✭✭✭✭✭

Honestly, i would have said 58! The rub on the buffaloes shoulder, or whatever that is…does not look great…

I am certain the coin was graded on Christmas morning,,,,, the grade was a gift.

• nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 28, 2022 1:11PM

My first guess would have been 66 to 67.
    It’s a nice solid Buff and I might speculate that the photos magnified the subtle irregularities and perceived imperfections. The spots on the shoulder are a bit of a concern, but I’ve seen many that share similar markings. This date is often very well struck and this is furthering that point. I bet it’s a great coin in hand with excellent luster.

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• braddickbraddick Posts: 22,993 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinbuf said:

@braddick said:

@coinbuf said:

You have been here for awhile, you tell me. :)

I have my own opinion. I choose not to speak of yours.

peacockcoins

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file