Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Speaking of an 1804 Draped Bust Large Cent....

jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do all die varities have the large cuds on obverse and reverse?
Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain

Comments

• Options
    lilolmelilolme Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

In CF a lot of them appear to be identified as the same S-266.
    But then some are not. This one looks 'clean'.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,829 ✭✭✭✭✭

My understanding is that the cud appears on late die states of that date, so not all will have it.

FWIW, the only 1804 LC I was considering for my date run was only identifiable by the obverse cud... there was an outline of Ms. Liberty and most of the reverse was worn away... and it was still over $1000...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jesbroken said:
    Do all die varities have the large cuds on obverse and reverse?
    Jim

Jim, there is only one die variety, but four recognized die states.
    State 1 is clean, 2 has minor die cracks, 3 has the obverse cud at RTY, and 4 also has the reverse cud at MERIC.
    Hope that helps!

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you, @Walkerguy21D, @Ikenific and @lilolme. That was what had me confused, that there was only one die variety, but did not consider state of die deterioration. My bad.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file