Home U.S. Coin Forum

Indian Head Folder Finale

Think that it is worth $100-$150 bucks to top off an Indian small cent folder needing 4 coins that
just need to be AG-G?

Comments

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,614 ✭✭✭✭✭

Which coins?

edited May 27, 2022 4:52AM

I wouldn't spend $1 to fill a folder. However, if you want to complete the folder, it is worth whatever it is worth to you.

• charlesf20charlesf20 Posts: 384 ✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:
    Which coins?

1869, 1871, 1872, & 1877.

• charlesf20charlesf20 Posts: 384 ✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:
    I wouldn't spend $1 to fill a folder. However, if you want to complete the folder, it is with whatever it is with to you.

Folders are not good?

• mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,955 ✭✭✭✭✭

Think that it is worth $100-$150 bucks to top off an Indian small cent folder needing 4 coins that
    just need to be AG-G?

I recently saw a good '77 in the coin shop. They were asking $565 for it. You are not going to be able to buy an AG one of these for less than $400 or so.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• humanssuckhumanssuck Posts: 314 ✭✭✭✭✭

@charlesf20 said:
    Folders are not good?

For some people, having a complete set is what makes them happy. If that's you, go for it. (But good luck with that 1877 if you think you can get one that cheap...)

For many others, putting low grade damaged coins in a folder of otherwise nice coins just to fill a book would not make us happy, and we would wait and save up and find the best one we could afford to go with the coins we already have.

There is no wrong or right answer here...do what makes you happy.

@charlesf20 said:

@jmlanzaf said:
    I wouldn't spend $1 to fill a folder. However, if you want to complete the folder, it is with whatever it is with to you.

Folders are not good?

I'm just not interested in completing date sets, especially with low grade coins.

@charlesf20 said:

@jmlanzaf said:
    Which coins?

1869, 1871, 1872, & 1877.

It will likely cost $150 or more even for a very low grade 1877. The 1869, 1871, and 1872 will also end up being ugly problem coins if that is your budget.

That said. If completeness is important to you, spend away. I would prefer to sell everything and buy a couple really nice examples of the CN and bronze cents. But that's ME. You do you.

• ms71ms71 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jeez, very tough crowd here.

Successful BST transactions: EagleEye, Christos, Proofmorgan,
    Coinlearner, Ahrensdad, Nolawyer, RG, coinlieutenant, Yorkshireman, lordmarcovan, Soldi, masscrew, JimTyler, Relaxn, jclovescoins

Now listen boy, I'm tryin' to teach you sumthin' . . . . that ain't an optical illusion, it only looks like an optical illusion.

My mind reader refuses to charge me....
  • hfjacintohfjacinto Posts: 764 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Indian Head set was the 2nd series I completed. The coins your missing aren’t exactly low cost. I have a set of raw IHC in an album, so I would recommend moving them to an album, but I still have my original Whitman sets of LWC (with the 3 key dates slabbed).

In the end it’s your collection do what makes you happy. The crowd here is pretty negative, but it’s your collection you do you!

@ms71 said:
    Jeez, very tough crowd here.

Why? Everyone told him to do what makes him happy. That doesn't seem like criticism at all.

• lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those are some of the toughest dates to find nice! Sure, the 1877 will be difficult, but the 1872 is very tough as well, so is the 1869... the 1877 alone could consume your entire <$500 budget. If you're getting Fr2 or AG3 coins to complete a folder, I'd look on ebay for someone selling off a personal set of individual coins. Also, beware of counterfeited '77s. (Look for the shallow N reverse). That's one issue I'd likely just pony up the money for a low grade slabbed one... but you'll likely break the bank!

I came close to completing this set a couple of times. I just lacked the 1877. Now, I'm more interested in other sets but I'll likely just get one nice MS IHC for my Box of 20 and call it a day...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@charlesf20 ... Collect what and how it makes you happy. Have fun... That is what a hobby is all about. Cheers, RickO

• ModwriterModwriter Posts: 330 ✭✭✭

There should be a grading service for folders and mint sets. Using security labels/seals that cannot be broken or tampered with. Similar to the CAC green labels on slabs.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file