Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Slab label designations

Glen2022Glen2022 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭✭

I have been collecting for over 50 years but my interest goes up and down as time goes on. Again, it is somewhat high. I noticed that with the ASE series both NGC and PCGS put various things on their labels such as first strike, first day of issue, early release, as well as having some of the labels signed by sports stars, people associated with the mint, or others. Some of the support*signatures (Larry Bird for example) are sold or at least offered for significantly higher prices on eBay. I know both PCGS and NGC charge extra for the first strike or similar labels, and assume they also charge extra for the signatures.

Perhaps I am a purist, but I'm only interested in the coin, not the designation or signatures.

I think this must be some kind of a gimmick, but I'm not sure. Would like other people's thoughts about this as well.

Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    hfjacintohfjacinto Posts: 766 ✭✭✭✭✭

I personally think its a gimmick, but many seem to pay extra, in the end its not my money, so if you want to pay extra for a label, go right ahead.

• Options
    jughead1893jughead1893 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 26, 2022 7:16PM

I don’t understand slabbing ASE’s.I’m completely lost on the whole label thing

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,776 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some like them, some do not, I am in the do not care group. To me they are just gimmicky fluff and I have no interest in such things, at the same time I do not care if others like them and choose to spend their money on such. The only thing I dislike is that I wonder how many newbies have gotten stung with these pump and dump type of labels.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,134 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree.
    Here is one I picked up. I love the simplicity of the label:

peacockcoins

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Glen2022 .... Welcome aboard. There is a collector segment that special labels appeal to... be it designations, signatures or special occasions noted. Just as there are collectors of slab generations. This hobby has many niche interests. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file