Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1954 and 1955 Benjamin Franklin half dollar

As I promised here they are...

Comments

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

Appear to be uncirculated Franklins. Some of them in capsules, some of them not. Sitting on a dark background.

• Options
    MenzaMenza Posts: 84

I took them all out of their case , I was wearing gloves I don't know what I was thinking I should have taken the pictures with all of them out of the plastic or was that even a good idea taking them out ?

• Options

If you are careful then I'm sure it's fine.

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

Get yourself a Franklin Half album and fill every spot with coins that look like those. You'll have a nice set if you can match them.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

Two MS60 Franklins.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the Franklin half dollars. I do have a date set, not slabbed. Put together back in the early nineties. Have not looked at that set in many years. Hope it has not tarnished :o:D Cheers, RickO

• Options
    hfjacintohfjacinto Posts: 766 ✭✭✭✭✭

I once hosted a contest that one of the prizes was a ms66 PGCS slabbed Ben, none of the winners picked the Ben. The last winner took a circulated marked up $20 low sequence star note instead of a slabbed Ben Franklin. I ended up giving the Ben for free to a young collector.

The Ben 50 cent piece is one if not the ugliest coin even produced by the US Mint.

We went from Pretty Lady Walking in the Sunshine to Ugly Ben what was the mint thinking. I have 3 in total (2 slabbed) for my type sets, otherwise this is a series I would completely skip.

Just my 2 cents.

• Options
    GemstrikeGemstrike Posts: 87 ✭✭✭

Lots of bag marks but the 55 is a Bugs Bunny variety.

• Options

If it wasnt for you people I wouldn't pursue this I mean the whole coin collecting. I'm a disabled vet with brain injury and I can't grasp or remember most things. I ordered the red book patiently waiting for that. I took you guys advice. Thank you all have a happy memorial Day.... Least we forget

• Options

Btw 291fifth, which two are the ms-60s? I'm going to have to mark them so I can remember my mind is a terrible thing to waste especially during war

• Options

Don't forget to scrutinize the 55 for the Bugs Bunny variety (look at Ben's mouth) as mentioned above.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Menza said:
    Btw 291fifth, which two are the ms-60s? I'm going to have to mark them so I can remember my mind is a terrible thing to waste especially during war

MS60 is a grade that should be assigned to a coin that has never been in actual circulation but that has picked up a lot of marks, both large and small, since being struck. The 1955 and the 2nd and 3rd 1954 fall into this category. (I am not sure just how many different coins you are showing. ) In my opinion it is also a grade that should be assigned to coins that are uncirculated but are poorly struck (your coins are not poorly struck.) Some collectors/dealers will not agree with me on this latter point but it has been my opinion as long as I have been collecting.

When buying coins be selective. Common date coins graded MS60 are not something you want to be putting your money into. Don't buy coins just because you think they are cheap. There is usually a reason why they are cheap. Dealers know what they are selling.

If you buy at shows always bring a good magnifying glass with you. I use a 5x Eschenbach magnifier for grading but many other good brands are available.

All glory is fleeting.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file