Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

U.S. Mint Returns.....”warehouse processing delays and quarantining of packages.”

GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,864 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 26, 2022 12:34PM in U.S. Coin Forum

My return was accepted at the Mint postal facility on May, 12th.

I decided to fill out the customer service online form for a status, and this is the body of my message.

I returned these coins, and the Mint postal facility received them on May 12, 2022. I have not seen any credit update in my order history at this point. Here's the USPS tracking #9405503699300245520xxx for the return. Please advise.

I got an email response within an hour which was impressive.

Here's what the email said...........

Dear Michael xxxxxxx,
This letter is in response to your recent correspondence to the United States Mint concerning returned order USM124536xx.
We apologize and we understand your frustration. Processing of returns generally takes up to 3 weeks. Regrettably, the warehouse is experiencing delays in processing returns. Due to the quarantining of packages as they are returned to the fulfillment center, please expect delays. Once the return is processed, you will receive an email.
Again, please accept our sincerest apologies for the inconvenience experienced.

Just thought I'd post this information in case anyone else is returning any coins.

Do you consider this a long time to process returns considering today's economic climate?

Comments

• Options
    Project NumismaticsProject Numismatics Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve only returned one order this year and it took a long time to see it show up on my CC - I think that is normal. I definitely would not order any products that I intentionally plan to return or base a business model on returning product that can’t be flipped - it’s a long return process and your cash will be tied up.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,003 ✭✭✭✭✭

@J2035 said:
    I’ve only returned one order this year and it took a long time to see it show up on my CC - I think that is normal. I definitely would not order any products that I intentionally plan to return or base a business model on returning product that can’t be flipped - it’s a long return process and your cash will be tied up.

And it borders on unethical...

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why are they quarantining return products? Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko said:

I’d like to know that also.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 26, 2022 11:06AM

@Goldbully said:

@ricko said:

I’d like to know that also.

They think you have Coodies! :#

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko @Goldbully Its Covid paranoia

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had a package get returned to the mint because it was never delivered, long story but wasn’t anything I could do. It took them about a month to refund me and only gave me back half the order amount. I called and they said I must not have returned all the coins. I was like, “um, it was never in my possession!”

Two more weeks and I got the full refund.

• Options
    bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options

Help request. I have never returned an item to the mint so for those of you who have-----do you insure the package when you send it back? Do you use the original mint shipping box? Just send it back first class-my order was just a single coin-NL privy. Thanks for any advice

• Options
    edited May 26, 2022 6:46PM

@Iamthewalrus53 said:
    Help request. I have never returned an item to the mint so for those of you who have-----do you insure the package when you send it back? Do you use the original mint shipping box? Just send it back first class-my order was just a single coin-NL privy. Thanks for any advice

This is my first return also. I sent mine USPS Priority....signature confirmation.

If it's just one coin I would use original Mint box and send first class.

No need for insurance on a $85 coin.

Of course include Mint packing slip in package,

• Options
    edited June 6, 2022 2:37PM

It's now June 6th, still not in my shipping history.

No private corporation could get away with this incompetence.

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,376 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Goldbully said:
    We apologize and we understand your frustration. Processing of returns generally takes up to 3 weeks. Regrettably, the warehouse is experiencing delays in processing returns. Due to the quarantining of packages as they are returned to the fulfillment center, please expect delays. Once the return is processed, you will receive an email.
    Again, please accept our sincerest apologies for the inconvenience experienced._**

So the Mint feels they need to quarantine packages for 3 weeks before processing them,,,,,, I am sure glad that the USPS doesn't feel the need to follow this senseless procedure.

We should all just seal our selves up in a bubble and wait for the air to run out. :(

GrandAm :)
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

Refund? file a credit card dispute to freeze the charge (and any interest due) to your CC account until mint does make the refund. The dispute might even expedite the refund.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    edited June 6, 2022 4:12PM

Really nothing to dispute. You ordered a product. You decided to return it. You now must just wait for the US Mint to follow their current return process. It may suck but that is just the way it is. It is not like the Mint is going to keep your money. Just give it some more time.

I had the same 3 week delay back 1 1/2 years ago when I returned a few gold coins during the height of Covid. I did get my money back,,,,,,, just be patient.

• Options
    coinercoiner Posts: 431 ✭✭✭

@derryb said:
    Refund? file a credit card dispute to freeze the charge (and any interest due) to your CC account until mint does make the refund. The dispute might even expedite the refund.

Agree with this ^
    File dispute, Rex’s product back and no refund. I’ve done it before, seems to speed them up. Also no jnterest charges will accrue.

• Options

@GRANDAM said:
    Really nothing to dispute. You ordered a product. You decided to return it. You now must just wait for the US Mint to follow their current return process. It may suck but that is just the way it is. It is not like the Mint is going to keep your money. Just give it some more time.

you are disputing the mint's delay in making the refund, while the charge is costing you interest.

• Options
    edited June 6, 2022 10:24PM

@derryb said:

@GRANDAM said:

you are disputing the mint's delay in making the refund, while the charge is costing you interest.

Yes you can dispute it but IMHO,,,, disputing it will only delay the refund while the dispute is processed.

• Options

@GRANDAM said:

@derryb said:

@GRANDAM said:

Yes you can dispute it but IMHO,,,, disputing it will only delay the refund while the dispute is processed.

refund is a given at no cost, accrued interest awaiting refund is money out of your pocket. I'll take door number two and file the dispute and pay no interest waiting on resolution.

• Options
    Weather11amWeather11am Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭

@derryb said:

@GRANDAM said:

How much interest is it costing you?! 😂😂😂

• Options

@Weather11am said:

@derryb said:

@GRANDAM said:

16% APR on a $5,374 return = $71.65 per month.

• Options
    Weather11amWeather11am Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭

@derryb said:

@Weather11am said:

@derryb said:

@GRANDAM said:

16% APR on a $5,374 return = $71.65 per month.

That assumes that you’re credit card debt has started accruing interest which, if you’ve paid it off prior (not sure how it works if you haven’t paid it off), would mean the transaction would have to post, you hit a statement date, and then time elapses from the statement date to the due date and then you don’t pay it off.

If you can pay it off after all that, you’re talking about 1% in a bank account as your opportunity cost (pre tax) and that $71 becomes about $4. After tax, less than $3 probably.

My point is lots of assumptions. 😊

• Options

my point is why pay any interest on a credit card if you can avoid it. ;)

• Options
    OLCOLC Posts: 394 ✭✭✭

I think the mint gets really mad when you do a chargeback. Good luck. You may not be able to buy something else for a long time from stories I have seen on other threads.

• Options

21 business days later and I finally get this email from the Mint this afternoon.

• Options

I’ve done it several times. No issues. Still buying from them. My problem is they have to process a return in a reasonable amount of time. Definitely within 1 week of receipt. I’m surprised if they process it within 6-8 weeks of receipt. That’s unacceptable.

• Options

Basically when you return a product and the seller has received it—you have proof of delivery to them—it should be a reasonable amount of time for a refund to be processed.
    Since our govt can’t seem to process returns effectively and efficiently, why should I pay the carrying charge on my cc? Nope. And guess what—the credit card companies always agree.

• Options
    rip_frip_f Posts: 368 ✭✭✭✭

Just as the fulfillment of my Mint orders and enrollments are starting to get back to a pre-covid promptness, I'm actually glad to hear that they are NOT diverting staff and resources to the Refund Processing Department.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file