Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Any other major superstars have a rookie card not in their rookie uniform ?

GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bobby Orr is only pictured in his rookie uniform in the 1967 General Mills and 1966 JD McCarthy postcard. His 1966 Topps rookie you’ll notice a white circle around his neck on his jersey like his 2nd year card. His JD and GM cards have dark circles around his neck, and clearly show his rookie uniform. Some say the 1966 Topps is his rookie uniform and some say it isn’t because the 1965 Topps Bruins players have the white circle on their necks.

Any other HOF’s have this quirky feature as well ?

Comments

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ryne Sandberg has no cards on the Phillies (at least playing days cards) even though that was the first team he played on in the majors.

• Options
    DotStoreDotStore Posts: 701 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 26, 2022 5:53AM

Does Mark McGwire's 1985 Topps count as a rookie card? (not HOF)

• Options
    edited May 26, 2022 6:20AM

@DotStore said:
    Does Mark McGwire's 1985 Topps count as a rookie card? (not HOF)

I think so. Mark is #1 all time in HR’s per least amount of at bats.
    Ruth is 2nd and Bonds third.

Mark - 10.61
    Bonds - 12.92

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 26, 2022 6:11AM

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

Where are all the Brett Hull rookie cards that should have been made with him in a Calgary Flames sweater (not Moncton) ?

• Options
    stevebaystevebay Posts: 289 ✭✭✭

How about Sammy Sosa...rookie year 1990 pictures him in White Sox, but in 1989, there was an oddball set featuring him with his first team.

• Options
    CardGeekCardGeek Posts: 404 ✭✭✭

These days like every dude has RC cards of them in uniforms other than their 1st MLB teams uniform. These days dudes have like 2000 cards that fit that description before the 1st card of them in their 1st MLB teams uniform is issued.

• Options

@stevebay said:
    How about Sammy Sosa...rookie year 1990 pictures him in White Sox, but in 1989, there was an oddball set featuring him with his first team.

Has everyone seen Sammy lately ?

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stan Musial, a career Cardinal, wore the #6. And yet…

1943 Baseball Magazine M114 Premium

1946 Propagandas Montiel #64 Stan Musial

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options

@miwlvrn said:
    Where are all the Brett Hull rookie cards that should have been made with him in a Calgary Flames sweater (not Moncton) ?

Do you think his 88 opc is air brushed ?

• Options

• Options
    mrburns443mrburns443 Posts: 203 ✭✭✭✭

I feel like a lot of 90’s basketball has rookies in suits or plain clothes . Off the top of my head, Kevin Garnett 1995 Finest, Gary Payton 1990 Skybox & Hoops, Kobe 1996 Upper Deck, & David Robinson 1989 Hoops (not technically in the jersey but holding it).

• Options
    jayhawkejayhawke Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭

1973 Venezuelan Winter League Jim Rice, 1967 Venezuelan Topps Dave Concepcion.

• Options

@brad31 said:
    Ryne Sandberg has no cards on the Phillies (at least playing days cards) even though that was the first team he played on in the majors.

Sandberg has three 1981 Venezuelan Winter League Stickers in a Phillies uniform. Should be considered his true RC.

• Options
    Browns1981Browns1981 Posts: 393 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does it have to be a baseball superstar?

• Options

@jayhawke said:

@brad31 said:

Sandberg has three 1981 Venezuelan Winter League Stickers in a Phillies uniform. Should be considered his true RC.

Wasn’t aware of that. I have the ‘82 Red Lobster that I always considered his rookie card. Is it an actual Phillies uniform or a Phillies minor league uniforms?

• Options

@brad31 said:

@jayhawke said:

@brad31 said:

Wasn’t aware of that. I have the ‘82 Red Lobster that I always considered his rookie card. Is it an actual Phillies uniform or a Phillies minor league uniforms?

Is this what you are talking about? Looks like a Winter League uni not a Phillies. I consider this more of a minor league pre-rookie card. Still very cool though.

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just to be sure we're on the same page re Sandberg:

• Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭

@miwlvrn said:

Or Gretzky with the Racers.

• Options

@GDM67 said:

@miwlvrn said:

Or Gretzky with the Racers.

I’m glad Gretzky’s rookie card is with the Canadian team he won cups with instead of from a team from Indiana that folded.

• Options

@brad31 said:

@brad31 said:

@jayhawke said:

@brad31 said:

Is this what you are talking about? Looks like a Winter League uni not a Phillies. I consider this more of a minor league pre-rookie card. Still very cool though.

Yes, this sticker and there are 2 other stickers in this set including one only of Sandberg. You are correct, he is not in a Phillies uniform. They are extremely rare to find or find without paper loss or damage.

• Options

@daltex said:
    Just to be sure we're on the same page re Sandberg:

Mine is raw. Chose baseball card day as my Cubs game to go to when I was 10 years old and have the whole set. It also has a Lee Smith rookie in the set - but not as cool as Smith has other 1982 cards.