Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Pair of new Capped Bust H10c from HJB

rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 26, 2022 4:51AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I have barely purchased any new coins within the last year, simply because nice Seated and Bust material is usually sold before I even find it. A bit of luck came my way the past couple of weeks with three coin purchases, however. The first was the 1856-S Seated 25c, NGC VF25, Ex.: McCloskey, which I posted in the long-running Seated Liberty thread. Yesterday, I found these two lovely Capped Bust H10c on Harlan J. Berk's website. I haven't really been working on half dimes in recent years, as I have become increasingly far-sighted, such that they all look to be the same variety: the blurry one. :D

Anyway, these two reside in old, green PCGS holders, each graded AU55. The 1832 has CAC approval while the 1830 does not. I would have guessed it was the other way around based on Mike Printz's lovely photos. I have not got around to attributing them yet, as I was going to buy them regardless of variety - but please do take a crack at the die marriages if you are so inclined. They may a nice complement to my attractively toned 1831 in PCGS AU58, also purchased from HJB many years ago. Hope you enjoyed seeing these images.

Here is the 1831 (LM3) that I have had for about 10 years:

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice acquisitions Ron.... and great pictures. Cheers, RickO

• Options

Thanks, Rick! Glad you like them too.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

nice trio :)

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

nice set there.

always a pleasure to see early type coins in this state of preserve considering 80%+ of the time out at shows/shops, these are not commonplace condition.

makes me think of realone. really loved the monsters he used to post imaged by the numismotography master.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    RussHJBRussHJB Posts: 19 ✭✭✭

Hey, I think I pulled those coins! They look great in hand, you'll love them!

• Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice half dimes man. Both excellent additions to a collection.

I believe the 1830 is a mid die state LM3. It's got some but not all of the cracks, most of the chips but no signs of the clashing that would be on a late die state.

It looks like the 1832 is also an LM3. I'd guess a somewhat late die state as it looks like most of the cracking and essentially all of the clashing has been removed by the lapping. The nearly missing part of M1 is a result of the lapping as well.

• Options

Thanks, Cladiator! I got busy at work and totally forgot about attributing these coins.

• Options
    BikergeekBikergeek Posts: 212 ✭✭✭✭

@rhedden You are well on your way to an all-LM-3 set! This is actually a brilliant plan! There were nine years (1829-1837) for the series and you have a third of them (by year). THEN, if you get an 1834 LM-3 you're ticking the additional box for the "3 over inverted 3" variety. Same with 1836 (3/inv3) but you also tick the box there for "Large 5c" (as distinct from the small). The only one that will give you trouble is 1837; that's a tough marriage in that year and the strikes are weak on the left wing to boot. (Gotta love a challenge). In fact, as of this writing, I can point you to a nice MS63 1829 LM-3 at Liz Coggan's site. (Full disclosure, it used to be mine--but it's not consigned and I have no further stake in it).

New website: Groovycoins.com Capped Bust Half Dime registry set: Bikergeek CBHD LM Set

• Options
    BikergeekBikergeek Posts: 212 ✭✭✭✭

@rhedden One last thought: the 1833 LM-3.x has five total remarriages of the obverse and reverse dies. Shouldn't be hard to find a nice one. But if you come across the terminal state 1833 LM-3.5 with a cud, gimme a shout, will ya?

New website: Groovycoins.com Capped Bust Half Dime registry set: Bikergeek CBHD LM Set

• Options
    edited October 8, 2022 3:37PM

I definitely have an 1836 LM-3, which I sent to NGC, where it graded MS63. It has rainbow bullseye target toning on both sides. I was hoping it would get a star designation, but it did not. I located it in a Wayte Raymond Album back in 2006, where it had sat since probably the 1940s. If anyone likes old albums, I still have it, and it's for sale, though it has someone's handwriting in blue ink over some of the better coins, unfortunately.

• Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great looking group!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file