Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Thoughts on this 1819 LC...

lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,831 ✭✭✭✭✭

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.

Comments

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭✭✭

Has an odd color probably from some kind of cleaning

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    edited May 25, 2022 7:32PM

Lighting perhaps? These are the seller's pics...

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 25, 2022 7:53PM

That looks much better color wise. It must be your lighting. Nice looking coin with very few marks. I like it.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    WilliamFWilliamF Posts: 832 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 25, 2022 8:20PM

Sweet! A nice high-AU example methinks :)
    How much did you pay for it if you don't mind telling us?

Edit: Possibly low MS in every area except for the hair curls, I'm seeing just a little bit of wear...

."It's a dangerous business... going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to" -JRR Tolkien_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________Outstanding BST transactions as a seller, buyer and trader with: ----- mustanggt, Kliao, claudewill87, MWallace, paesan, mpbuck82, moursund, basetsb, lordmarcovan, JWP, Coin hunter 4, COINS MAKE CENTS, PerryHall, Aspie_Rocco, Braddick, DBSTrader2, SanctionII, Histman, The_Dinosaur_Man, jesbroken, CentSearcher ------ANA Member #3214817

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

Which of the two sets of photos looks more like the coin in hand?

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options

@coinbuf said:

I have to admit that the seller's images are better than mine. I just can't seem to get the white balance correct on my camera... Canon Powershot. It's an old setup...

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 25, 2022 8:45PM

i see possible corrosion, luster, obvious au details, early middle date. nice pick up.

probably needs a proper copper soak to ensure that corrosive contaminant is neutralized. then a bit of the stuff they put on nice circ coppers. rod burress used to put it on his coins.

too tired for attribution.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lkenefic said:

@coinbuf said:

I have to admit that the seller's images are better than mine. I just can't seem to get the white balance correct on my camera... Canon Powershot. It's an old setup...

Sometimes with my camera I have to put a bit more light than it seems I should need to get the color to come out right on copper.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice old copper... I like the second set of pictures.... Looks like the couple of copper cents I have when in hand. Looks like a low MS to me. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

looks like a single light used here. try 2 lights, at 10 & 2 o'clock or 3 & 9. usually the nicer the coin the less 1 light will work.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options

That's basically my set up, but one of the lights is a florescent lamp. The other is a 75 watt incandescent. My camera is ancient too... :-/

So, other than sucky pictures and inconsistent color... how does the coin look? Details, surfaces... thanks for weighing in.

• Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll take it, sweet early copper.

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agree with AU, and pretty nice. The portrait has as a real 3D look to it.
    Maybe evidence of die rust at 11 o’clock on the obverse?

Not being a purist, I’d probably apply some Blue Ribbon to the reverse, and maybe a rose thorn and a gentle brushing, to remove some of the light crud, or at least ensure it’s made inert.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,003 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lkenefic said:

@coinbuf said:

Try using a grey background

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lkenefic said:
    That's basically my set up, but one of the lights is a florescent lamp. The other is a 75 watt incandescent. My camera is ancient too... :-/

So, other than sucky pictures and inconsistent color... how does the coin look? Details, surfaces... thanks for weighing in.

I would wager florescent is your problem. Try replacing it with an incandescent.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file