Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

A couple or three tough Irish pieces.

TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 23, 2022 9:23AM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

I finally received my True Views of a few difficult Irish pieces that I picked up several months ago. Each is fully original and quite nice. The 1933 shilling is improperly photographed, and I have a call in to PCGS to try to correct it. For those of us who collect Irish coinage, and I admit that I am fairly new to the Free State stuff, if that is the correct term, these gems are tough to come by. All are gem 65s and all are top pops, I believe, at PCGS.

Enjoy and feel free to comment.

Tom

Comments

• TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TPRC said:
    I finally received my True Views of a few difficult Irish pieces that I picked up several months ago. Each is fully original and quite nice. The 1933 shilling is improperly photographed, and I have a call in to PCGS to try to correct it. For those of us who collect Irish coinage, and I admit that I am fairly new to the Free State stuff, if that is the correct term, these gems are tough to come by. All are gem 65s and all are top pops, I believe, at PCGS.

Nice coins. I know someone who would probably be interested in the Shilling, if you're thinking of parting with it.

No need to call PCGS, just email photography@collectors.com and they will fix it.

• TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you for the info. Also, these are not for sale as they are a part of my growing free state collection.

Tom

• TomBTomB Posts: 20,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful coins and I really like the shilling.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats, beautiful group of coins. I just had a few Irish shilling grades pop on Friday from PCGS and was happy with my results as well. Glad I know who else I'm bidding against in these auctions. @Clio

• ClioClio Posts: 484 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hey! I collect the Irish shillings as those here have eluded. :) That is a stunning group you have there. I'm always on the lookout for upgrades but I am very pleased to see more folks actively collecting them.

https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/ireland/irish-sterling-coinage/irish-shilling-date-set-circulation-strikes-1928-1968/imagegallery/183980

This is my set. Will you be using the registry? Or just posting new purchases here?

https://numismaticmuse.com/ My Web Gallery

The best collecting goals lie right on the border between the possible and the impossible. - Andy Lustig, "MrEureka"

• DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 23, 2022 7:49PM

@TPRC said:

For future reference, you can email photography@collectors.com to get the images fixed for what it's worth.

Great material!! Wow.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a 1934 Half Crown in NGC MS67 that would easily cross over. I’ll have to put in the SN and post it. I bought a beautiful Free State mint set in a proof box for $200. I sold everything for crazy money except for the 2/6 that I sent to NGC. The buyer made me an offer that I couldn’t refuse.

thefinn
  • BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,839 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thefinn said:
    I have a 1934 Half Crown in NGC MS67 that would easily cross over. I’ll have to put in the SN and post it. I bought a beautiful Free State mint set in a proof box for $200. I sold everything for crazy money except for the 2/6 that I sent to NGC. The buyer made me an offer that I couldn’t refuse.

Let me know if you want to sell that 1934 Half Crown! I'm building a full high grade set.

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,896 ✭✭✭✭✭

When you have Free State coins that nice just hold on to them. :)

All glory is fleeting.

@291fifth said:
    When you have Free State coins that nice just hold on to them. :)

That is the plan.

Tom

@Boosibri said:

@thefinn said:

Let me know if you want to sell that 1934 Half Crown! I'm building a full high grade set.

thefinn

Finn--That is beautiful!

Tom

@Finn great looking coin!

• ELuisELuis Posts: 806 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 25, 2022 9:20AM

This one is MS65 but not on a PCGS holder:

@thefinn said:

Great coin, is that a fingerprint?

@ELuis said:

@thefinn said:

It looks like it is. They had to push the coins into the holders somehow.

thefinn
  • MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thefinn said:

@ELuis said:

@thefinn said:

It looks like it is. They had to push the coins into the holders somehow.

Pretty sure they use gloves at NGC, but I could be wrong,

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • ClioClio Posts: 484 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am loving this thread. Needs more shillings!

https://numismaticmuse.com/ My Web Gallery

The best collecting goals lie right on the border between the possible and the impossible. - Andy Lustig, "MrEureka"

edited May 25, 2022 2:33PM

Youza!! Is that '43 the au-58 that I have seen?

Tom

@TPRC said:
    Youza!! Is that '43 the au-58 that I have seen?

It’s a MS65

Wow! 65! Wow! Big coin! Congrats!

Tom

• PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Boosibri said:

@thefinn said:

Did you end up buying it? Great looking coin.

Collecting interests: Mexico & Peru early milled 1 reales + 1796-1891 US dimes

Sports: NHL & NFL

Thank you Lord for another beautiful day!!!

@TPRC said:
    Wow! 65! Wow! Big coin! Congrats!

Thanks, it’s one of two tied for finest. After buying it I was committed to doing the full set. I’m at about 40% complete but with a weakness in half crowns thus far and missing the key 43 Florin still.

@Boosibri said:
    Thanks, it’s one of two tied for finest. After buying it I was committed to doing the full set. I’m at about 40% complete but with a weakness in half crowns thus far and missing the key 43 Florin still.

Just did a quick search and thi coin is not an easy and cheap one, and for a VF35 - wow:

The 1943 halfcrown is scarce and can usually be found. The florin is a different story - that is RARE.

thefinn